Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers desperately needed!  (Read 37653 times)

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Now under new managment
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 12:06:33 am »

Well after you get sent away to some godsforsaken icehole for just trying to survive, why not?

I cant play this week but i should be able to chistmas week. Plant is shutting down for the holidays.

Im going to try an RP my dwarf and his misbegotten title. Got big plans for my dwarf, try and get as many of his life goals complete as I can. He is 94.

Just as well since I'm still playing through my turn. Unfortunately a lot of named dwarves are losing their hold on sanity. I've heard rumors that stress levels can be reduced but I've never actually seen it. I'm implementing a policy of confining people to a tiny area and trying to keep them from seeing anything that might upset them. Sort of like a prison inside a prison, except this one has a pretty statue for people to look at. Shofet's going to be fine though. He has no fucks to give about any dead goblins rotting away on the stairs. I'd like to make somewhere really pretty for the dwarves to stand but I just don't have the dwarf power, it's very sad.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 12:35:26 am »

The way everything's so spread out nothing ever gets done?
Walking is good exercise.

The way we can't actually seal off the caverns?
Forgotten Beasts and Giant Cave Spiders keep the violent maniacs occupied.

The fact that we rely on said caverns for wood?
Fungi spores growing in your lungs never hurt anyone.

The magma forges that keep letting in fire critters?
Fire is a natural antiseptic.

The trade depot that's open to the sky and any flying enemies that feel like picking up a trinket?
Lesser of two evils. The alternative would be to let traders from the vampire civilisation into icehold proper. And worse, elves (if they should ever arrive).

The flooded adamantine spire... How did you manage that one by the way?
Well, technically that was Onul and Honeymoon's doing, but I'll take credit for it. Here's what it does and was totally designed to do from the beginning:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I removed your underwater office...
Yep. Totally meant to do that.

I was going to make you a better one but the idea of actually moving some furniture in Icehold is a fool's dream.
I eventually worked out Igor was pretty much the only one who does any useful work around here, and he's paralyzed from the legs down, soooo...

Nah, none of those. My flaw is worse.

See, those are things that are likely to cause mass casualties and death should the worst come to pass.

The flaw I'm thinking of is certain to cause mass casualties and death should the worst come to pass.

It's gonna be great.

(Edit) Assuming we don't all murder each other in the meanwhile. I suppose it was only a matter of time before our anarchic little prison went to the bad.

I'm so happy the first murder was done by one of the serial killers, though. It seems appropriate that they'd be the ones to get the party started. Besides, Dumed totally deserved it. If there's one thing worse than a murderer, it's a dwarf who pulls levers recklessly.

That said, it is possible to reduce stress, but it takes a couple years and complete isolation from bad thoughts. The chances of that happening in icehold are... probably somewhat lower than the chances of everyone in the fort killing each other and then eating the survivors.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:32:44 am by QuQuasar »

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:42 am »

The flooded adamantine spire... How did you manage that one by the way?
Well, technically that was Onul and Honeymoon's doing, but I'll take credit for it. Here's what it does and was totally designed to do from the beginning:

-edit-

Sure, it was totally Honeymoon's plan. Don't worry, I've developed a new method for explaining any player devised plan that would otherwise be very hard to pass off in RP: Quasar thought of it. I guess the state of stress levels will depend on Shofet's willingness to continue with Operation Party All The Time. It does slow Icehold's already pretty stagnant productivity to the point of being well... downright glacial. Still, it's absolutely necessary. I've grown too attached to each these characters to loose the vast swath of them threatened by worsening living conditions in the fort.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 02:38:11 am »

This has to be one of the best writing I've seen, people. Keep it up. I feel like smaller pop is also contributing go everyhing coming together so nicely...

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 03:03:21 am »

This has to be one of the best writing I've seen, people. Keep it up. I feel like smaller pop is also contributing go everyhing coming together so nicely...

Thanks Taupe, that really does mean a lot to me. Here, I'm sure this is nothing compared to what you're used to in Whisperwhip, but check out my screenshots folder. This is just but a fraction of what I'm trying to organize here. I figure this is at least a sneak peek for you guys.

Spoiler: Behold! (click to show/hide)

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 09:21:16 am »

Keep the party going I say, meanwhile ill be trying my hand at leatherworking. Shouldnt take to long to make a masterpiece.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 01:34:26 pm »

Based on those file names, something called Werima is gonna be causing some serious trouble next update... Now I'm worried.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2015, 01:43:46 pm »

Werima = It's "where I'ma" get you! At least I hope it's not a were-type

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2015, 06:18:31 pm »

I've decided to try to finish out the year so I'll have the save ready to go even if it takes me a long time to write up. It's just taking forever because I keep having to pause and adjust, argghhh! So, last chances guys, anything you want to tell me to fix or change? *coughQuasarcough*

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »

I've decided to try to finish out the year so I'll have the save ready to go even if it takes me a long time to write up. It's just taking forever because I keep having to pause and adjust, argghhh! So, last chances guys, anything you want to tell me to fix or change? *coughQuasarcough*

"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2015, 02:51:13 am »

I wish I could find a way to work pyer into the story beyond the little tidbit I managed in the intro. Hopefully my wishing won't make anything terrible happen.

In order to keep from stagnating, I'm going to do what I did last time and post bits of part.... (I have to look it up) four as I get done with them. There have been developments and part five is looking to be longer than initially expected. I will do my best to try to keep everyone alive but I make no promises.

-From the collected writings of Thob Worldglove-

We have always been a kingdom of monsters. Perhaps the greatest folly of our modern time has been to try to pretend otherwise. Our current strain of monarchs have been pleased to see themselves as warriors of light, striking out against the encroaching shadows and protecting the pure flame of dwarfdom, as if we had not been born from the darkest depths of the earth in the first place, as if standing before the light does not cast the greatest shadows of all.

Spoiler: The Old King (click to show/hide)

They called her Stabbin’ Rovod for a reason. The mercenary princess of the Stake of Rings left a trail of mayhem across the better part of a continent. Bloodletting was her great passion and the treasure she collected a happy afterthought. Quite possibly the happiest moment of her life was the one when the weremamoth’s curse consumed her and at last allowed her to obtain a level of transcendent bloodlust. She was a fearless warrior who knew no limits, least of all those imposed by her father’s laws.

Spoiler: Stabbin' Rovod (click to show/hide)

Her followers loved her beyond reason, first among them being her sister Mebzuth, who spent her life straining to be her sister’s mirror image. Three times the king had them sent away to remote sanctuaries, hoping to drown their fury in isolate splendor, but such restrained luxuries had no influence upon these princesses. They charmed, murdered and tricked their way to freedom time and again.

Spoiler: Mebzuth (click to show/hide)

Limul would have had them executed in the courtyard before the palace and their heads left to decorate the walls and never a moment’s hesitation, but while she can be rigid she is not utterly stupid. She knew what such an act would mean to her chance of inheriting her father’s crown, how it looks when a princess starts having her royal siblings eliminated. From somewhere surfaced the idea of Icehold, not a death sentence or a prison exactly, but a special posting. If the princesses could be expected to suborn any place meant to hold them, why not let them? Rovod and Mebzuth weren’t being exiled, oh no, they were going to the hinterlands to do battle with the necromancers, the very monsters from which we had won our kingdom and our independence in the first place. What more fitting task for members of the royal family could there be? Our queen, in her infinite grace, would even allow those who had fallen under the shadow of infamy their chance at redemption fighting these enemies of all dwarfkind.

The rest is recorded in the logs our current Overseer has so graciously let me peruse. How Stabbin’ Rovod came here, initially in disguise, and then died of a curse before whatever plan she had worked out could come to fruition. How her sister attempted to follow her, and ended up falling to the same curse in those dark days out on the ice during our third year. And that would have been that; if not for the children.

Icehold is where they send those of us who are too dangerous to die. We must be forgotten first. I take some pleasure in that fact. It is always nice when one’s work elicits a response.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:54:01 am by De »

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »

Is my guy in the military? I'd like for him to train his skills of combat (or lack thereof)
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »

Holy shit, Rovod was a princess? Oh no, I think I know where this might be going...
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 02:07:23 pm »

Holy shit, Rovod was a princess? Oh no, I think I know where this might be going...
I know what you are thinking of, and that would be hilarious. However her legend lore profile mention sje died. Could have just wandered off and exploded after abandonnment tho.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 02:46:36 pm »

I know what you are thinking of, and that would be hilarious. However her legend lore profile mention sje died. Could have just wandered off and exploded after abandonnment tho.
No, she died a while ago. But she does still have children at the fort...
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16