Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gods and Temples  (Read 942 times)

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gods and Temples
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:14:44 pm »

There was a common belief in western polytheistic religions that the tribal god lived in the temple that the tribe built for the god.  Biblical scholar Margret Baker's books The Great Angel and Temple Theology are good introductions to this belief system although they largely focuses on her theories about early Judaism.  I think that this could be a great religious mechanic for Dwarf Fortress.  Here is how I imagine it could work.

• Temples would have to be built according to strict specifications in order to successfully attract the god
  • A high priest would have to be trained in order to attract a god
  • Once the god inhabited the temple certain benefits would result i.e. evil biomes would no longer reanimate
  • The god would place restrictions on fort activities similar to nobles
  • The god would demand regular sacrifices
  • The god would demand festivals to be held in his honor
  • Only the high priest would be allowed to enter the naus (living place of the god) of the temple; any other dwarf would die if they looked at the god
  • The god would abandon the temple if his requirements were not met or if his restrictions were violated to often
  • Abandonment of a temple by a god would result in fun for the fortress
I think this could be an interesting religious mechanic that would fit in well with current and planned (festivals) mechanics.  It could also be expanded upon if mechanics like religious factions were implemented.  Additionally it would open up some interesting possibilities in adventure mode.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gods and Temples
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »

We could also have sacred animals, symbolosating the gods.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:40:49 am »

I think some players would willingly invite gods (or "gods") that are Fun instead of beneficial.  Like a god that causes corpses to reanimate instead of preventing them. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:00:19 pm »

lets not forget invoked denizens of the circus taking the supposed 'gods' place for maximum additional FUN.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:36:05 pm »

I would purposely invite every single god to my fortress, then place them in an almighty copper cage trap and build a god zoo.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:49:17 pm »

I would purposely invite every single god to my fortress, then place them in an almighty copper cage trap and build a god zoo.

Only in DF...

More relevant, how would the god arrive on the map? If they walk on in from the edge of the map, what keeps them from striking dead your woodcutters and whomever else for seeing them? Would they instead just poof into the naus and make themselves at home?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:41:55 pm »

I assumed the God wouldn't really have a body. Like in a Christian church, the symbolic house of God.

I like that the god becomes like a noble but please no restrictions like don't sell amulets or stuff like that. I also don't agree with a special room that only the priest can visit - that might make sense for some gods but not as a general rule.

Together with this, we could have the idea that a god is made more powerful by worship, blood spilled in his/her name, emotions attached to him/her such as hope or fear, and so on.