Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 4/4  (Read 7614 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 4/4
« on: November 21, 2015, 07:37:11 pm »

The Way of Exile

Swirling, writhing, rippling and steaming, the Chaos that looms over the Fringe is composed of... everything. Unmade and unwanted technologies, broken and screaming consumer goods, muted and twisted organics, gods composed of mountains, and mountains formed of avarice. Oddly, for an group so close to the infinite masses of improbability and madness curling about the mortal and semi-ordered realms, the Fringefolk are in a privilged position: in the metaphysical cracks and crevices of the mighty, unseeable, ageless bulwarks of order and power that hold what can be said to truly be in place, they enjoy the bounties of Chaos, rich foods, fine trinkets, ingenious devices and infernal contraptions, while the things that wash up on their many-layered, strange shores reaching out directly into Chaos itself are weak and harmless enough, at least at first, to bear them no threat at all, filtered by the forces of existence.

Composed of disparate tribes, the totality of which a overseen by the Elders, immensely powerful custodians of dangerous and octane artifacts and weapons, the Fringefolk lead an easygoing existence, relying on a few half-hearted crops and the measureless bounties of the Fringe for survival. Many live in temporary structures like tents, some sleep outdoors, as rain never penetrates the pristine skies above, while yet other make their homes in the skeletons of washed up megabeasts or rusting airliners. The Fringefolk have everything, if they can be bother to look hard enough.

They are protected from the ills and turmoils of less fortunate lands further from Chaos, past the Great Dune, where the currents of sheer power flowing through the world do not move so firm or concentrated, in order to crash againsts the eddies of Chaos and hold it at bay, flattening any great act of magic or entity. They are also protected by the Dune itself: a mighty comglomeration, higher than the sky itself, of rubble, sand, paperbacks, coathangers, dead geese and all else granted by Chaos. The lands beyond are less peaceful, and do not feel the protection of the forces of the world or the Dune, are still influenced by Chaos, a huge variety of things developing there, some parts mad and unstable, others as normal and everyday, in some ways, as other, stabler worlds.

First come the badlands, the Discarded Edge, odd but weakened by the weight of power on them, some tribes scraping out a meager existence there, then the Middle Belt, the realm of city-states, with stronger societies dominating their lands and stranger wildernesses lurking in between. Beyond that: Empire's Cradle, a yet more puissant zone, the mighty land-octaves tamed and wrestled with by wrathful emperors and noble kings, sprawling civilistaions ruling the lands, squabbling with one another and seeking dramatic extremes of power. And beyond that? The Godlands, where few mortals dare set foot. Inhabited by beings of incredulous power and scale, there is nothing there but idle gods and their domains, prevented from reaching the other lands by forces unknown.

And if one travels through all that: the final destination, the exile's Jerusalem, is the Low King's Hall at the foot of the Last Peaks. Nothing is permitted to enter the Fringe through the Great Dune's single passage, and this is the only other way to return to home, safety and luxury and cast off the pallor of the wastelands. The Low King is the only one capable of getting people into the Fringe.

You already know all this, as Fringefolk, of course, but it's about to become a lot more important. You're up before the court of the Fringefolk, and however fabricated or unfair the charges against you may be, it looks like you're about to be on the receiving end of the Fringefolk capital punishment: Exile.

Exile is seen as a spiritual, purifying duty, of course, but few are likely to survive the perils of the outside world, and fewer still ever make it back. You're going to have to follow the Way of Exile, though... or die trying.

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: character creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: example character (click to show/hide)

Only one person can occupy a tribal position at any one time, except for the number of exiles, which can make up the entire group. First come, first served on this, to some extent.

Spoiler: waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:40:29 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 0/4
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »

Looks interesting, but I might need some time to figure out that original post, so IN.

Spoiler: Mia the Exile (click to show/hide)
pls confirm validity of app
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 09:44:19 pm by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:18:56 pm »

in

((Probably will need a bit to compose app.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:45:32 pm »

I will join each of your games forever! There is no escape! HAHAHAHAHA!
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 09:46:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this good?

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 10:15:27 pm »

IN.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 05:18:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this good?
Looks interesting, but I might need some time to figure out that original post, so IN.

Spoiler: Mia the Exile (click to show/hide)
pls confirm validity of app
All fine, both IN.

in

((Probably will need a bit to compose app.))
IN.
4/4, great! Post sheets when you can.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 4/4
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 11:57:14 am »

In?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 12:12:10 pm »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 12:28:17 pm »

Name: Sam Carl Patterson
Position: Shaman
Ability: one arcane
Item: Random Magical Item
Attribute: Thaumaturgy: 1
Object of worship: Cognito, God of Knowledge
Description: An ambitious young man, who wants to harness the chaos and use it to humanity's benefit (think the SCP foundation)
Reason for Exile: Hoarded Magical Items
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »

I'm a bit confused: are we on the less magical side of the dune, and are trying to get to the magical side, or are we leaving the magical side for the less magical side? Which side did we come from?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 12:50:36 pm »

Erm... there's more raw power on your side, but things are stabler too. You're going to an unstable place, which becomes more poweful the further in you go.

The further you go, the less stable they become, and the weirder things get. You could think of it like this: you collect driftwood and live on the beach, and are about to be sent into the forest. You get a lot of "wood" or magic/artifacts/etc, readily available and uncontested, from the "sea" or Chaos, none of it alive, while on the other side of the Dune, grassland merges into shrublands merge into forest - there is little "wood" at first, but it increases, while creatures fight over it and everything is more complicated and more alive. So there'll be less "magic" at first, but it will be more chaotic where you're going. You live next to Chaos, but are protected from it. You live between the Dune and Chaos.

Bulwark of reality             Great Dune
CHAOS ------------------> fringe -----------> discarded edge, middle belt, empire's cradle, godlands

Like that.

Oh, and BTW, I am waiting for the people that reserved a place, I'm afraid, and putting ATH on the waitlist, despite the earlier sheet. But if you could get sheets in soon-ish, we could start, if possible.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:53:00 pm by NJW2000 »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 01:13:07 pm »

Can I be in if no one else wants to be a Shaman?

Nunzillor

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 01:14:29 pm »

Waitlistin'.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Edits complete.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:44:04 pm by Nunzillor »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »

Name: Kahn-ji'ka (goes by Kahn)
Position: Shaman
Ability: one arcane
Item: Random Magical
Attribute: Thaumaturgy: 1
Object of worship: Taal'ka the Mucklord (spheres: biology, proto-amphibians/early tetrapods, mutation)
Description: A squat man, prone to puttering. Usually clad in a mound of furs, with various shamanic instruments (ritual bones, coins, tubers, feathers, etcetera) hanging from his beard and belt. Not particularly sociable.
Reason for exile: To be honest, nobody liked Kahn. The guy was creepy- he was always talking to frogs, or plucking samples of hair from people for no particular reason, or poking around in the entrails of birds. Eventually, people got tired of his morbid antics, and they told him to hit the road.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9