Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 4/4  (Read 7540 times)

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 4/4
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »

Name: Orn
Position: Warchief
Ability: Combat
Item: Combat Technique Scroll
Attribute: Agility 1
Object of Worship: His ancestors
Description: A somewhat thin young man, who seems powerhungry and arrogant. He's dressed in rags that he frequently explains were once very expensive clothing. His unkempt hair and beard are full of colorful beads, and one can barely make out bright, intricately patterned tattoos beneath his thick layer of grime.
Reason for Exile: He attempted to bring his dreams of grandeur to fruition. He failed.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Exile [A Procedurally Generated Surreal RTD] 0/4
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 05:31:03 pm »

The judge of the Court of Exile, an unpretentious little outbuilding off somebody's estate, looks down his nose at you.

"It seems that the cases against you are, uh, in order... Kahn, you're a general nuisance, everyone agrees, disrupting your neighbourhood beyond belief... Mia, why you had to stab that poor person I don't know, but whatever your motivations, it's best if you leave...uh, Orn, it's a sad day when a promising young man like you must leave, and you've fought valiantly before, I'm sure, but uh, your ambition got the better of you, and... I'm not sure what type of coup you were attempting to make, but you should surely know that no simple Fringeman could ever challenge the elders, so I'm sure you'll be able to, uh, reflect on that then... as for you, Christina, you, uh, wanted to be exiled? Well, it's your choice, I suppose, and parties of exiles are traditionally fours, so that makes things a lot easier... good luck to you, then... so, uh, any questions before you leave? Some of you have brought your own food and supplies, and, Kahn, and, uh, Orn, your positions entitle you to certain benefits, so you can have those now... the best the Fringe thought fit to give you...so, uh, questions?"

Each of you recieve a leather rucksack, Mia and Christina with their supplies, while Kahn and Orn's are empty.

And elder walks in, and draws two objects out of a bag.

Kahn's object is a ring or bangle, unadorned and seemingly made from plain iron, large enough to fit loosely about a grown man's wrist.
  "This is the Quoit of Umbra - the plaything of dark beings from elsewhere. It has many uses, but some should not be explored by those who wish to keep true and sanitary minds."
  Slinking hints of shadow lurk on the insides of the curves, a much darker shade seemingly just out of sight.

Orn's is a battered papyrus scroll, which, upon inspection, is revealed to be entitled "Whisperstitch", has a picture of a stylised blade pressed to a closed pair of lips. It appears to be a combat technique guide on how to move stealthily and use even the smallest of blades effectively without being detected, though little can be learnt from it currently.
  "I suggest you devote some of your time to studying that," says the frowning elder, "it may come in quite useful."

The judge stands.
  "If you're quite ready, we have guide waiting - he'll take you through the Great Dune Tunnel. Oh, and those with former positions of power may find they have some new abilities - nothing to worry about, just a talent that's lost and wants, uh, a home to graft itself onto. All, uh, good?"

((Wow, Kahn's stuff came up pretty dark, you haven't seen all of it yet. Waitlist when I'm less tired. Everyone up to speed do far?))
One wheel short of a wagon

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »

Kahn mutters something under his breath, and spits at the elder. Then, he turns to leave.

"Eh, les' get goin'."

Rudely accept the bangle, and follow Orn.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:55:46 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Nunzillor

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 06:27:03 pm »

((Did I make it into the wailist?))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 06:32:51 pm »

"Yeah, sure, let's get on with it."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »

Yes, I believe my servants and I are ready to go.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 07:37:32 pm »

How deadly is this, by the way?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:06 pm »

Christina lowers her head and says, "And so fell the Kingdom of Man."
With that  proverb done with, she walks silently with Mia, who showed her kindness before. Or perceived kindness, at least.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 10:39:59 pm »

((PTW.  Definitely PTW.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 05:40:47 pm »

((Did I make it into the wailist?))
Yup, you're in.

How deadly is this, by the way?
Can be deadly. Doesn't have to be... a lot is randomised, so luck may be an important factor overall, but there are definitely things that can kill one out there, especially if someone acts stupidly. So basically, depends no playing style, etc, not sure yet, still haven't really seen how this kinda thing is going to run.

The party shoulders their packs and walks off, Kahn carefully storing his gift in his. After travelling unusually far down the Fringe almost vertically, to a point most of them thought was Dune on one side and chaos on the other, a carefully appointed guide shows them an unassuming door in an unusually normal-looking patch of stone.

"This is really the best place to turn back, Christina. I suppose I can't discourage you, but there's honour in knowing when to stop too."

The tunnel is crepuscular and amniotic, vague shadows shifting on slightly-lit walls, a floor sometimes carved granite and sometimes rough, uneven sandstone undulating along, water dripping from the ceiling, the air moist and cool. The path is monotonous, but there are no forks or crossroads, just endless flights of disorientating stone steps, the tunnel sometimes broadening, sometimes narrowing, never cramped or expansive. There is always just enough light to see the terrain, and never quite enough to make out the faces of your fellow travellers.

During the journey, Kahn and Orn experience a curious sensation, their extremities seemingly flooded with cold one moment, plunged into boiling water the next, while blood rushes desperately through their limbs. When the sensation passes, there is something new about each of them, not recognisably Fringefolkish.

Kahn, feeling suddenly chilled, reaches down and places his hand in a pocket that was not there before, and he can't seem to precisely locate or even see. In it, he finds a roll of curiously insubstantial cloth, which seems to suck at his hand for a few seconds before drawing away, as if the wrong kind of object had been placed in it. There is nothing else in the pocket.

Orn feels uncharacteristically nervous as the sensation abides. He stands still for several seconds, staring into the gloom, slowly feeling a spear form in his hand. Spinning round in horror, he realises that it came of its own accord, then slowly calms as he remembers the words of the judge. As he cools off, the spear slowly loses substance and fades.

Something intangible tries to crawl into Mia's ear on the way, but she shakes it off.

The trek through the tunnel lasts an indeterminate amount of time, nobody able to quite say how long. The bright midmorning sun of the Discarded Edge greets you as you emerge, Sol risen over the Dune, while the guide lurks in the shadows of the passageway.

"Afraid that's it; you're on your own from here on out!"

A heavy stone door swings shut, cutting off the sound of his voice, and a minature avalanche of sand buries the hole in the Dune. You appear to be in a little niche at the bottome of the Dune, on hard, sandy soil, with steep Dune walls curving up on three sides. At the other end of the mile-long valley awaits the badlands proper. There is a sprinkling of varied shrubs and small, slender olive trees, as well as a spring to your right and ahead. According to the guide, this is one of the few places with completely normal vegetation, geography and animal life, and is protected from the strange forces elsewhere. You could press on, or spend time here, it's entirely up to you now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 06:17:27 pm »

"A nice place, but obviously not as full of science as people like us like, so let's press on.
Keep an eye out for things to perform science on, as well as things to requisition. Including small edible animals.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »

"De Ignibus Caelestibus shall provide."
Search for water sources, herbs, and fruit. Preferably non-poisonous.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 07:27:57 pm »

Shamble over to the spring. Keep an eye out for amphibians and lizards.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 08:27:42 pm »

We'll stay here for now. We need to gather supplies if we want to survive in this wasteland.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 08:37:24 pm »

"I agree, staying here would be a needless waste of supplies."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9