Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slabs for Invaders?  (Read 1503 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slabs for Invaders?
« on: November 22, 2015, 12:26:39 am »

For some reason most of a goblin siege and a pair of kobold thieves appeared on the list of people who needed a slab engraved.  After a couple of years, I got bored, and went ahead and engraved the slabs.  I installed them in the tunnel that leads to my refuse pile, where the various pieces of the goblins, trolls, and kobolds are all kept.

Look through the slabs, I noticed that Tochlirsnus, who went missing in the year 17, was a devoted father and husband.  Another slab, for Drodofayrin, who also went missing in the year 17, was a loving mother and wife.  Curious, I looked them up in the units list.  It was the pair of kobolds who have been harrassing my forts that I finally just killed.  Forts, plural, because they constantly tried to rob my last fort too, but all the dogs scared them off each time.  This fort I was able to get my squad on them!

They had a loving family, with children.  I orphaned those innocent children.  Their parents are missing, and now those poor kids will only ever find out what happened if they sneak into my refuse pile and find the slabs or the bones.

I don't remember being able to engrave slabs for invaders in previous games.  What made these guys special?

PS: goblins and trolls don't appear to have families.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slabs for Invaders?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:18:43 am »

A guess is that kobolds are "historical figures", while most goblin invaders are generated blank from a generic population when a siege is needed. It's the same kobold or kobolds attempting to raiding your fortress each time until you kill them, and then they won't come any more.

I've recently had a number of caravans destroyed by a very hostile embark weather, and I could engrave slabs for the merchants, but the guards did not show up in the list (fortunately, they didn't show up as ghosts either). Named animals, including those getting a name after becoming undead and killing someone, were present, though

I seem to recall that I could engrave slabs for some invaders in one of my early fortresses over a year ago, but I'm not certain about that.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:34:39 am »

They had a loving family, with children.  I orphaned those innocent children.  Their parents are missing, and now those poor kids will only ever find out what happened if they sneak into my refuse pile and find the slabs or the bones.
You monster.

You let the children escape!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:37:02 am »

Just wait till a wagon gets scuttled in your fort.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:41:39 am »

It's not just a list of whom you need to slab; any dwarf in danger of rising as a ghost will be at the very top of the list. All the invaders and guests are purely for role-playing purposes--you know, having your dwarves create memorials for honored enemies.

Also, you've been able to slab'em at least since 2012.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 09:29:07 am »

Also, you've been able to slab'em at least since 2012.
yep

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:58:36 am »

You monster.

You let the children escape!
Can't make orphans.....gotta kill whole families!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)