Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The most METAL MOD EVER idea  (Read 6335 times)

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The most METAL MOD EVER idea
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:02:17 am »

So after listening to some metal, looking at some album covers and playing through brutal legend I saw dwarf fortress as the perfect platform for an EXTREMELY FUCKING METAL game.

But I'm not that great a modder, so after doing some searching there was a metalhead mod talked about a while ago, unfortunately it is no more.

So I was wondering if anyone wants to help me make a BRUTAL mod about some sick fucking shit.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most METAL MOD EVER idea
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 05:37:18 am »

Search for Spawn of Holistic mod, seems METAL enough for me.

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:49:51 am »

I dont think you understand man, i mean METAL AS FUCK.

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE METAL.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 07:05:54 am »

I'm not entirely sure how exactly you could make the game much more metal. I guess you can't crush your battle opponent's balls.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:14:31 am »

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE METAL.

[TISSUE:IRON]
      [TISSUE_NAME:iron:NP]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:IRON]
      [MUSCULAR]
      [FUNCTIONAL]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

ChildServices

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 04:34:56 pm »

A Brütal Legend mod would be awesome.

Brütal Förtress

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:07:56 am »

A Brütal Legend mod would be awesome.

Brütal Förtress

This man, this man gets it.

[TISSUE:IRON]
      [TISSUE_NAME:iron:NP]
      [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:IRON]
      [MUSCULAR]
      [FUNCTIONAL]
      [STRUCTURAL]
      [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
      [CONNECTS]
      [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]

Also not bad.

I'm not entirely sure how exactly you could make the game much more metal. I guess you can't crush your battle opponent's balls.

When the trees can kill you and beasts made of blood and chains roam the world, when everything is an evil are and where the only savior is METAL. Also a bunch of references to heavy metal bands would be nice.

I already tried creating a creature who's skin was blood, somehow he bled out in 5 minutes.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:47:25 pm »

Tree monsters would be best off as monsters that resemble trees I think. Also, all lands can be set as Evil through advanced worldgen. Bloodmen already exist, you just need to move them to the surface. I tried making a bloodwolf, but it turns out you can't bite with teeth made of blood.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:10:14 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:23:58 am »

I already tried creating a creature who's skin was blood, somehow he bled out in 5 minutes.

It was inevitable.

(Seriously, though, why wouldn't he bleed out? His skin is literally falling out, and it's his blood!)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 10:57:08 am »

When the trees can kill you and beasts made of blood and chains roam the world, when everything is an evil are and where the only savior is METAL. Also a bunch of references to heavy metal bands would be nice.

Trees can absolutely kill you in DF.  Have you not been killed by trees yet?  Also http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Blood_man and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Iron_man is already a thing.  And putnam, yes you can

But going metal means turning everything up to 11 all the time, right?

For starts, you can do more that is literally metal.  You could make trees out of metal.  Either try to change the properties of wood to be like metal, or use actual metal tags in trees.  You can use the tags from Iron Man and Bronze Colossus to make metal versions of their normal animals.  I had been trying to do a mod where animals have metal bones that you can melt down after butchering them, but I had trouble figuring it out.  You could make metals appear more frequently or appear as layers instead of clusters and veins.  You could check out The Earth Strikes Back mod for some ideas that making mining more dangerous. 

You could make guitars.  Sometime soon the new version which will have actual musicians will be released and guitars would be actually useful.  Or, you could make combat guitar weapons. 

Have you ever read Edgar Rice Burroughs novels?  He invented some very metal universes before metal was a thing.  ERB has made a lot of specific things that you can definitely mod into DF.  I think it would be easier to take a real world-building adventure and mod it in, rather than try to translate the concept of Metal into a game that is already very metal. 

^Edgar Riceburrough's vision of Mars, "Barsoom". 

One of my favorites are the Mahars of Pellucidar.  They are giant pterodactyls (specifically a descendant of rhamphoryncus, props for paleobiology, ERB) who cannot hear but can communicate telepathically.  They are highly intelligent and possess scientific advancement far beyond that of the humans of Pellucidar.  The Mahar keep Thipdars, larger, less intelligent pterosaurs described as dragon-like and are allies of sagoths, gorilla-like men who love to fight.  Mahar keep humans as pets and slaves, and some even consume them as livestock. 

You can find information about ERB worlds on the internet. 
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/phobeg/pel.htm
http://www.erblist.com/abg/plantsanimals.html

I made a list of creatures for an ERBesque Sword and Sorcery mod that I'm probably not going to get around to modding http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153439.msg6545750#msg6545750  Feel free to borrow. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:00:30 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 10:51:00 am »

Trees can absolutely kill you in DF.  Have you not been killed by trees yet?  Also http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Blood_man and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Iron_man is already a thing.  And putnam, yes you can.

I meant in the wrestling sense.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:59 pm »

Trees can absolutely kill you in DF.  Have you not been killed by trees yet?  Also http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Blood_man and http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Iron_man is already a thing.  And putnam, yes you can.

I meant in the wrestling sense.

Ah, okay.  True.  There was a topic somewhat recently about being able to do that.  I think if you make a "junk" body part attached to the lower body and make that geldable instead of lower body, it should work.  I think we weren't sure what actually decides if a strike becomes a gelding strike, since there's clearly some kind of % chance so that not all strikes to the lower body cause gelding.  Putting the geldables on a very small body part might just reduce the % chance of successfully contacting the geldables.  It is also unclear if severing the "junk" body part would summarily geld the creature. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 11:39:28 pm »

You could make guitars.  Sometime soon the new version which will have actual musicians will be released and guitars would be actually useful.  Or, you could make combat guitar weapons. 

Now that musical instruments are generated can you still make guitar instruments and other instruments like that.

Have you ever read Edgar Rice Burroughs novels?  He invented some very metal universes before metal was a thing.

I was kinda going for a BrÜtal Legend sort of feeling mixed in with the 40k grim darkness, but not with the stupid hulkingness of the space marines, more like the Imperial Guard.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 04:37:52 am »

Now that musical instruments are generated can you still make guitar instruments and other instruments like that.

Not sure.  There's a special tag to generate instruments.  It may be that there are still tags related to making specific instruments, but I haven't looked into it. 

Urist McFluffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 04:51:36 am »

Not sure.  There's a special tag to generate instruments.  It may be that there are still tags related to making specific instruments, but I haven't looked into it.

just had a peek in the new files and saw how to make custom instruments in the examples file, looks complicated though so I might hold out for now and just make them as weapons.
Pages: [1] 2 3