Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Biological/Chemical Warfare?  (Read 2032 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Biological/Chemical Warfare?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 04:46:55 pm »

A long time ago, I experimented with coating weapons in venom via breath attacks.

Iirc, things with ENTERS_BLOOD will actually cause their effects if you manage to break the skin. Use of gloves recommended.
Or I might be misremembering. What I'm trying to say is, the only part which isn't in the game is actual coating of weapons, since you can buy barrels of venom.

E:
Oh, I was ninjad. Still feel justified since I did the original science. Have an off-topic fun fact to attempt to salvage this post.

Fun fact: if you make something inject boiling gold and give it ENTERS_BLOOD, the corpse of the thing you injected will evaporate upon death!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:49:42 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 11:03:20 pm »

So in real life, it is possible to "milk" venomous creatures for their venom, the most common use of it being to turn it into antivenoms. While this is too far into the future for the DF setting, I suggest an alternate use for the venom in the game: Weaponize it.

Imagine if your dwarves could capture a giant cave spider and milk it's venom. Or create a controlled colony of smaller, but still deadly, snakes and spiders. The venom could be stored in barrels, and when an attacker comes, your marksdwarf would dip his crossbow bolt into the barrel and, with a single shot, take down a goblin.

This next suggestion is more sci-fi, but what if the venom could alternatively be boiled into a gas? Stored in glass canisters, the gas bombs would be flung out of catapults or dropped from the walls to wipe out groups of enemies.
Are these dwarves were talking about? Or little bearded terroists?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 01:59:15 am »

So in real life, it is possible to "milk" venomous creatures for their venom, the most common use of it being to turn it into antivenoms. While this is too far into the future for the DF setting, I suggest an alternate use for the venom in the game: Weaponize it.

Imagine if your dwarves could capture a giant cave spider and milk it's venom. Or create a controlled colony of smaller, but still deadly, snakes and spiders. The venom could be stored in barrels, and when an attacker comes, your marksdwarf would dip his crossbow bolt into the barrel and, with a single shot, take down a goblin.

This next suggestion is more sci-fi, but what if the venom could alternatively be boiled into a gas? Stored in glass canisters, the gas bombs would be flung out of catapults or dropped from the walls to wipe out groups of enemies.

Wow, you're really new here.

--

On topic, I've been looking around the various mythological and fantastical canons and I've come up with a nice list of possible magical toxin effects.
  • Being transformed into a randomly decided animal, ideally this would be decided during worldgen, so there'd be this general knowledge that "Witches Shoot" or whatever turns people into goats rather than just anything.
  • Spontaneous combustion, fairly self-explanatory, though I like the idea that the intensity of the blaze varies with how much alcohol the victim recently imbibed, because the urban legend was about drunks in particular.
  • Shrinking, turns giant animals into just animals, and more or less makes everything way less threatening at the cost of reducing butchering returns.
  • Memory loss, goblins show up, get pricked by a trap and just completely forget what they're doing in your fort.
  • Being thrown into the future, simulated by the creature disappearing for a while and reappearing in the same spot exactly as they were when they left. This could get really FUN if the delay is somewhat random.
  • Being transmuted into a random mineral, like Medusa's gaze only derived from a weaponized substance rather than her sheer ugliness.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 02:15:17 am »

Same thing either way. Reminds me of that one thread where someone (playing DF of course) tried to make a child combat training camp by putting a child in a hole with some food, and seasonally dropping badgers or the like on top of them to force combat.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 07:38:37 pm »

That's the giant awesome childcare thread.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2]