Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295589 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1050 on: January 28, 2021, 10:39:51 pm »

Shrine and Shrine 2.  Two free Doom clones, available on Steam.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 30, 2021, 04:01:43 am »

Recently heard about a rather interesting freebie named cosmoteer :
https://walternaterealities.itch.io/cosmoteer

Checking Bay12 there used to be a thread few years ago while the game had another name
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159051.0

The game is about building up your spaceship with various tiles , and have a crew operating it and then duking it out with other space ships a bit like in "Gratuitous Space Battles".
Not sure how long it can be interesting, but the few space battle i had were rather fun, though i have yet to master the art of making ships as half my guns weren't powered and i didn't even had enough crew for all the things in my ship.

Anyone has played it long enough to see if the potential i see in this game can keep it replay value high ?
Apparently there are mods available for it too :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XsjYmUvxm0Q5J9UIeITnRIiNhts4OaR0ioUs64kaY1c/edit?usp=sharing
https://forum.cosmoteer.net/t/mods
There was a big update of Cosmoteer today :
https://cosmoteer.net/history.html

Great to see development of this hidden jewel is still going.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 30, 2021, 04:55:31 am »

Man O' War: Corsair - Warhammer Naval Battles

They finally managed to actually set the price correctly now, so it's properly 90% off for the next 30 hours ::)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 30, 2021, 01:59:41 pm »

Something that may be interesting for people that do not only play the latest games :

I just learned that Microsoft has purged its download server , deleting many stuff they judged of being not important and amongst the now deleted files is the DirectX9 June 2010 installer offline redist (and the online installer too) :
https://old.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/l79r4x/psa_microsoft_has_removed_directx_download_from/

The problem that Microsoft didn't care about is there are many games that weren't made specifically for window10 and later that still require some dll that no version of DirectX10/11/12 has (despite the usual claim that latest DX include previous DX), and that only the June 2010 DirectX9 has.
Most of those games include that offline DX9 installer so you didn't need to worry usually, but still there are some games that only included the online installer (that should then fail to install from what i read) or just have a link to the now deleted microsoft download

Maybe Microsoft will fix that one day, but meanwhile for people that didn't backed the file themselves, fortunately you can still download it thanks to archive.org :
https://web.archive.org/web/20201216110836if_/https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/4/A/84A35BF1-DAFE-4AE8-82AF-AD2AE20B6B14/directx_Jun2010_redist.exe
It's always a good idea to back up this kind of thing

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 30, 2021, 02:44:44 pm »

Oh Microsoft... You silly goose, you.

Thanks for the heads-up, Robsoie. That's definitely a good thing to be aware of

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 01, 2021, 10:05:21 am »

I've finally had the time to check Metro: Last Light and to be honest I don't think I'll stick with it. My first problem is that, so far the majority of the game has been the main char (me) getting railroaded from one custscene to another with minimal gameplay in between.. Does it get better or will this continue further on?

My second problem (which might be partly my own fault) is with the UI.  I can't seem to find how much ammo (in total, not in a mag) I have on my char. How am I supposed to plan ahead if I don't know how much firepower I have availble.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 01, 2021, 11:52:32 am »

I played Metro Last Light Redux and enjoyed it so much that i completed the game twice (though on my 2nd playthrouh as i was aiming for the best ending, i played basically like a Thief game : kill none , stay in shadow and knockout every NPC, it made for a very enjoyable variation of gameplay in comparison to my "shoot at everything that move" previous run) .

The linearity wasn't that much of a problem because i found the immersion is really high (Metro Last Light reminded me of Half Life for that, linearity but immersion through the world and NPC interactions).

You can check how much ammo you have through the inventory key (by default i think it's TAB)

Oh and be sure to give a try to the bonus/dlc freeroaming mission "Kshatriya"  (it's in the Main Menu -> Chapters and press the key mentionned in the bottom of the screen to alternate between the main campaign missions and the bonus/dlc ones), i wish there would be a whole game based on that freeroam mission, it's truly a masterpiece, if you like the STALKER games, you'll like replaying this mission.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:43:02 pm by Robsoie »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 01, 2021, 07:13:06 pm »

Hargrave

Free puzzle platformer on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1288930

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 02, 2021, 02:08:21 pm »

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. I sort of love this stupid terrible game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 02, 2021, 04:02:21 pm »

...Is he sucking on that piercing?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 02, 2021, 04:17:19 pm »

I've been playing Crying Suns recently (it was one of the free giveaways from Epic) - it's a neat FTL-like with real-time (pauseable) tactical combat that takes place on a grid.

Main plot of the game is that you and your crew are newly grown clones from a super-secret facility in the far reaches of what used to be a galaxy-spanning star empire. However, all signals from the Empire shut off twenty years ago, and the robots in charge of the facility have finally decided that it's about time to check and see what's happened to everyone.

The main story of the game is broken up into five parts. And, as far as I've gotten (fourth part), each is further broken down into 3 sectors, with two mini bosses and a final boss; after which you start a new run in a new sector, with the option of using any of the previous bosses ships are your new flagship.

The main portion of the game uses a lot of FTL-like systems - you have your battleship, which has fuel (which lets you move both inside and between systems), scrap (which is used both to upgrade your ship and as the primary currency at trade stations), and marines (used in away missions and events). Generally speaking, you need to balance the expenditure of fuel and marines to try to maximize your acquisition of scrap.

In terms of combat; although your main battleship can have direct weapon systems, combat is primarily a rock-paper-scissors arrangement with fighters, drones, and frigates dueling in the space in-between the giant motherships. Each unit has a tech level (I-V), which affects HP and damage, and potentially an adjective (ex. Stealth, Teleporting, etc.) which gives a special ability. Destroyed units are automatically rebuilt on a timer during battle, but are forevermore (well, until you find a repair station and hand over a decent amount of scrap) marked as rebuilt, and only have 50% max health.

In a system similar to FTL's crew, your ship starts with two officers and can be grown to a total of five. Each has two or three of nine specialties, as well as a special ability, which usually affects a part of your ship (hull, fighters, weapons) to which they can be assigned to improve performance. Specialties come into play for two different systems - encounters and ground expeditions. Many events involve making hard choices, or choices that might only possibly succeed - having a commander with the right abilities will allow you to avoid that - just pick the blue-highlighted choice in the certainty that it'll succeed.

Expeditions are little mini-adventures for a commander and up to ten marines that take place on a planet's surface. When you get to an expedition planet, you'll get an overview of what's there (crashed ship, cryo pod, etc.), if there's any major negative events taking place (toxic environment, sandworms, or, oddly, ambushes "huh, that planet looks like the kind of place where you'd get ambushed"), as well as an overview of each of your commanders with stats showing roughly how the expedition will go if they take the lead - broken up into "is the commander likely to get shot up doing this?", "how much loot are they likely to get?", and "how many marines are going to die?"; so you'll end up results such as an expedition commander who is likely to avoid getting hurt, will get between 50-75% of the loot, and 2-8 marines will die during the mission.

After you pick your best option, your troops run into various dangers and loot opportunities, each marked with a specialty test. If your commander has that trait, you succeed, if not, you either fail to get the loot, or marines start dying. If you fail tests on a major negative event, a lot of marines start dying.

Anyway, getting up a full compliment of commanders - and commanders that have diverse traits - is 100% recommended for your continued survival.

This ran long. TL;DR: I've played for 11 1/2 hours, and am enjoying it. It's a solid upgrade / alternative to FTL.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 02, 2021, 04:41:50 pm »

It certainly looks like it. I knew it was a good picture when I saw that he was clipping through himself, and also so was I.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 03, 2021, 07:13:24 am »

It certainly looks like it. I knew it was a good picture when I saw that he was clipping through himself, and also so was I.

Oh man, I've got several curious moments saved off as screenshots, and so very many more that I didn't manage to catch in time.

Highlights include the orc grunt, dead, casually standing around and tapping his foot while about three meters above ground and angled at roughly 20 degrees off horizontal.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 03, 2021, 09:17:07 am »

Oh man, I've got several curious moments saved off as screenshots, and so very many more that I didn't manage to catch in time.

Highlights include the orc grunt, dead, casually standing around and tapping his foot while about three meters above ground and angled at roughly 20 degrees off horizontal.

I wish pictures could better capture the frustration of being caught at the edge of a building, unable to escape during the middle of a fight until I'm nearly dead. Or trapped on an object on the ground, unable to escape at all. Or the ragdolling hilarity you get half of the time (dead enemy just sliding across the world forever, or enemies that go absolutely flying when shot, etc.)

I'll revisit Shadow of Mordor, because it's a pretty good game.  This one is never getting reinstalled once I'm done. Just too buggy, too many bad ideas, and too much not-quite-fixed portions from the pay-to-win days.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 09:19:00 am by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 04, 2021, 06:00:32 am »

Spotted this recent release of a "Call of Doom" mod on moddb, apparently it's a weapon mod that is a port of truckloads of weapons and their corresponding animations from some Call of Duty game into Doom mixed with some Brutal Doom features
https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-doom-cod-style-advanced-weapons-mod

a video of that mod :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1RYoI2CIJk

The modder made a video on how he ported those weapons :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-qH2uUi99Q
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:03:10 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 167