Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295518 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1095 on: March 18, 2021, 04:23:27 am »

Why limit yourself to a few when you can have them all?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 18, 2021, 04:36:55 am »

A alternative playmode (like speedrunning) can create a difference expierence - just like some people like the punishment of rogue likes, some enjoy the closer connection nuzlock provides - a bit like playing like when you where a kid.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 18, 2021, 08:00:50 am »

But that doesn't sound like gotta catch 'em all at all

It's for people who really want to play Digimon, but can't handle the complexity.

A alternative playmode (like speedrunning) can create a difference expierence - just like some people like the punishment of rogue likes, some enjoy the closer connection nuzlock provides - a bit like playing like when you where a kid.

I remember that trying to get the speedrunning achievement certainly made Doom Rl seem more like actual Doom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 18, 2021, 08:41:20 am »

I certainly didn't play anything like that when I was a kid ;)
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 18, 2021, 12:35:22 pm »

It's been a very long time i hadn't played Elona+, so i checked what was going on with current version.

I remember when they introduced an annoying feature (hydration i think it was called) in which there was much peeing and other kind of things that i was so happy a coder made a version without that ( Elona+ Custom-G was the name) kind of thing.

From what i read Custom-G hasn't been following the Elona updates, not much of a problem to me as Custom G was good enough at the time and will do for now again.
Still i was curious about how Elona+ has evolved since those years.
so i checked the changelog for the newest version ( 2.03 ) and ...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

.... Ok, back to Custom-G then :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:41:02 pm by Robsoie »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 18, 2021, 02:59:58 pm »

I like how they specially call out ear cleaning as a possible "legal form of assassination."

"Oh, that guy? Yeah, you might want to avoid getting any ear cleanings from him... I've heard he killed the last dozen people whose ears he cleaned. Nah, nah, no legal trouble - that's just the risks of ear cleaning, you know?"

I've always thought that the dev(s) behind Elona+ has to be high on something... and this is not changing that opinion - not even a little.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 21, 2021, 06:57:42 pm »

Want more spreadsheet simulators? Derelict Void is basically like Out There, in that you're a ship cruising hostile space trying to desperately survive against rapidly dwindling resources, except with a more streamlined interface, more fiddly, and less intriguing narrative. I kind of like it, but oh boy is it overpriced right now.

A few major caveats though-- has a lot of RNG (though I guess cruising around derelict space is pretty luck-dependent...), unpredictability in a bad way (How much of what resource do I plan to lose if I void a warehouse fire? Oh look, there goes all my food, the only resource I was short on.), and getting forced into narrative decisions with no chance of survival.

I'm pretty sure it was the endgame sequence where... (non-narrative lategame warning)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 22, 2021, 09:21:34 am »

You probably know Age of Empires 2 , it had some re-release remaster thingy named Definitive Edition .
And apparently there's a mod for this AOE2 DE named Overreign that does something rather impressive :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5ZhkfPczA
https://old.reddit.com/r/Overreign/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 22, 2021, 10:59:12 am »

... but. Why? Why in the world did they make a dungeon keeper possession mod looking thing for AoE2? It's impressive, I guess, I just... don't understand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 23, 2021, 04:31:47 am »

Why not ? There are many RTS in which you can play as an unit and join the fray , games like Carrier Command, Battlezone, Urban Assault, Sacrifice, etc.. so with more development (as it's still still far from being Mount&Blade within AOE2), there's a lot of potential in this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 23, 2021, 06:36:32 am »

I mean, there are, but you'll notice from that list you just rattled off they're all more interesting on the ground level than age of empires :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 23, 2021, 01:18:04 pm »

I...

Y'know, honestly, it's not even a matter of "why" for me. I'm just stunned at HOW the absolute fuck they managed to stitch that shit together

Also that's going to be horrifying if they ever get around to trying to implement the Escher-esque geometry of AoE cliffs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 24, 2021, 06:58:57 pm »

Warriors of the Nile is a surprisingly entertaining lightweight steamlined tactical game that I wish was either a freemium mobile game or a lower PC price point. (Steam has a demo available.)

Battles move fast; your typical match is your 3 units against ~8 hostiles on a fairly small grid and, takes me about 15 minutes to, er, die at the first boss, on 1-9. Health persists through encounters, but your units can be revived after each round... at the cost of your unit upgrade.

So a kind of notable downside is the RNG-hell this game involves. As a tactical game, you want agency, but can often end up in battles are are mechanically impossible... and the RNG this game has exacerbates it. Your one-upgrade-per-stage, across all three characters, is RNG. Your occasional piece of equipment is RNG. The chance of the trader showing up is RNG, and the goods they have is RNG. The selection of perks you can buy in-run is... you guessed it: RNG. Oh, and the boss of each 'world' is also RNG. At the same time, trying to overcome a mediocre (but not downright bad) hand is something nice.

You've got your usual assortment of persistent unlocks and, allegedly, alternate units, but that appears to be contingent on not being awful and being able to at least pass the first boss (which I suspect will be something feasible once I get a few more of those unlocks). All in all... better than I expected. (Much, much better than the boredom that Magic: Legends I checked out yesterday on request, at least. Seriously, don't touch it. Only one person needs to waste their time with it. -_-)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 02, 2021, 07:05:56 pm »

Oooo, Circadian Dice update!

https://shuffleup.itch.io/circadian-dice/devlog/237900/version-20-big-content-update

Excellent! I've been waiting for this since they announced it in October. Means the Steam release is coming soon, hopefully.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 167