Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294429 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1380 on: September 25, 2021, 02:52:44 am »

Yes, sadly there are lots of games devs like that , here's a list of those games that treat gog customers as "2nd class" :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zjwUN1mtJdCkgtTDRB2IoFp7PP41fraY-oFNY00fEkI/edit

And along the way there are actually admirable games devs, like the guys (Hinterland) that made the snowy mountainous survival game "The Long Dark" , at some point gog removed the game from their store, but people that had bought it can still download it (every games that have been removed from the gog store can still be downloaded if you purchased them here).

So you may think that was it and the people that bought it on gog would be stuck with an old inferior version (as The Long Dark recieved many big updates after that), but every further updates The Long Dark recieved were still ported by the devs into their gog version even if it was not sold anymore on gog !, meaning their gog customers could still access a DRM free version of the latest evolution of the game.

EDIT : that said, i noticed some people worrying that the offline installers of some games may be one day updated to include some DRM, after all if gog is willing to accept DRM in their supposed NO-DRM store, there's no guarantee DRM free games will stay DRM Free on gog.
So make sure to backup your game offline installers just in case.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:59:50 am by Robsoie »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 25, 2021, 11:54:10 am »

EDIT : that said, i noticed some people worrying that the offline installers of some games may be one day updated to include some DRM, after all if gog is willing to accept DRM in their supposed NO-DRM store, there's no guarantee DRM free games will stay DRM Free on gog.
So make sure to backup your game offline installers just in case.

I'd say it's possible it'll happen one day. As things are, I think it all comes down to the power dynamic between gog and the developer, and who gets to strong-arm the other into accepting their terms. While that might be kind of obvious, it makes me worry that in the end only the small developers/publishers are going to accept the no-drm.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 25, 2021, 12:14:28 pm »

yep, especially since bigger developers and publishers actually merge the online component into the base game or subtly add a required 3rd party launcher. the biggest offender off the top of my head is ubisoft but after reading up, it sounds like that's what IOI did, they literally programmed in online required achievements for unlocks. gog only has so much power over the negotiations compared to a juggernaut like steam and steam doesn't usually care about stuff like that so this online stuff is going to continue getting pushed.

i don't feel strongly on this topic because i mainly use gog for older games that were developed before the internet butted its way into everything but i can see why people are getting upset. the modern games i bought from gog are cRPGs from smaller devs, like the pathfinder rpgs and divinity 2 (and even divinity requires that stupid larian launcher). sadly unless things change the only way for gog to maintain selling drm free is to take the big AAA developer games down and just not sell them but it's too late for that now.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 25, 2021, 12:15:52 pm »

Very likely indeed as big companies and their big selling titles have then enough pressure power to force gog to do whatever they want regarding DRM (as shown with the Hitman case) if gog wants to have high seller titles (and so make more money) in their store, while smaller companies can't have such power.

But in the same time, the no DRM (+ offline installer) as mentionned previously is what attracted people to buy on gog instead of its DRM competition.
If DRM is becoming tolerated on gog, why would anyone then buy their game there instead of other DRM platform like steam/epic/ubi/ea/etc... , especially if those other places can sell at lower price than gog.

I remember when gog did the "fckdrm initiative" , funny/sad to see that now not only the article and website aren't there anymore but only redirect to gog ...
It looks like times are changing not for the best unfortunately.
For the curious, archives :
https://web.archive.org/web/20180821204159/https://www.gog.com/news/the_fck_drm_initiative
https://web.archive.org/web/20200817145700/https://fckdrm.com/

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 27, 2021, 08:14:05 am »

Picked up Castlevania Advance Collection on my Switch and I've playing Aria of Sorrow... so good. I hope this means Nintendo intends to publish more/all of the 2D Castlevania games on Switch!

EDIT: and the music: so good.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 27, 2021, 05:55:56 pm »

between me pottering about on NMS, slogging my way through Wrath and generally grinding in tarkov, i picked up playing these other games:

Medieval Dynasty https://store.steampowered.com/app/1129580/Medieval_Dynasty/

i swear i felt like ive talked about this one before... but i do that for a lot of by the wayside survival games/rpgs or whatever.

medieval dynasty's basically just another open world survival sim rpg where you build a settlement up and populate it with npcs who help with tasks. im not very far into it but it recently came off of early access and the presentation for such an indie game is really good. doesn't have that massively janky feel most types of indie survival games have but then maybe i haven't reached any yet.

and

Kingdom Under Fire Crusaders and Heroes https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Kingdom_Under_Fire_The_Crusaders/

im not entirely sure how to describe these. ive played them backkk in the days of og xbox and they were kickass then. its a strategy rpg of sorts that feels like some weird mashup of total war and dynasty warriors. i didn't know they'd made it to pc until i saw mandalores video on them. honestly he does a better job reviewing them then i can:

https://youtu.be/IYTsnNPu-0E
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 28, 2021, 03:02:16 am »

I only knew the original Kingdom Under Fire from which i had played a demo (ah good old time with CD in magazines), it was a warcraft2/starcraft1 -like RTS.
It felt very generic at the time and that's probably why it didn't reached much height in the RTS communities.

Very interesting to see how they changed completely the system into this mix of RTS and Dynasty Warrior that from looking at the gameplay video looks very dynamic and fun.
I noticed both Crusaders and Heroes versions are also available on gog .

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 29, 2021, 11:15:40 pm »

Kingdom Under Fire Crusaders and Heroes https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Kingdom_Under_Fire_The_Crusaders/

im not entirely sure how to describe these. ive played them backkk in the days of og xbox and they were kickass then. its a strategy rpg of sorts that feels like some weird mashup of total war and dynasty warriors. i didn't know they'd made it to pc until i saw mandalores video on them. honestly he does a better job reviewing them then i can:

https://youtu.be/IYTsnNPu-0E

I still have my disk (and my Xbox, which hasn't been fired up since the last time I played it, I think.) Rented it and enjoyed it enough that I bought it. Looking back, it hasn't aged all that well. And yet, I remember the combination of some basic Dynasty Warriors-esqe gameplay combined with like, real-time commanding troops in objective-based scenarios was enjoyable. Handled really awkward on a controller IIRC but enjoyable. Like it wanted to be the grown up, 3d American Final Fantasy Tactics but with action and button mashing. It was enough I think I played all the characters and may have even beat it on the hardest difficulty. So it did something right to get me to stick with it that long.

----

Just got done playing several hours of Source of Madness. It's in Early Access on Steam.

It's a 2d sidescroller rogue-lite, Souls-inspired Metroidvania. Yes yes, one of those now ubiquitous games. Rogue Legacy, Dead Cells, Salt and Sanctuary, Death's Gambit, Blasphemous, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, this game is pulling from everything in terms of form and function.

It's got a few twists that got my attention though.

It's Lovecraftian. But it's like someone played Blasphemous and was like "You know what, I want my story to be even harder to grasp." If they hadn't named dropped Yog-Sothoth or have an item named the Eye of Cthluhu or mentioned Elder Gods, you could easily mistake this for something other than Lovecraftian.

Anyways, you play a cultist who is trying to....bring the Elder Gods back? Open the door to their realm? Something. You play, you die, you get to choose from a selection of cultists to carry on the mission, kinda like Rogue Legacy and picking your descendant, but they're just a randomized character.

What gives the game its real twist though is the art and the enemies: textures are designed by AI and the enemies are procedural generated monstrosities dragged from the depths of machine learning and AI.

So what you end up with is a fusion of Gothic architecture and Geiger-esqe textures. The game likes its gore but it's that weird, stringy, Geiger-y gore that puts you in mind of insects as much as it does flesh.

In terms of gameplay, it's more ranged focused than melee focused. You get rings and items to equip that grant you spells and you fight with those. Lots of spell flinging, lots of shooting enemies that are just off screen. The game LOVES its physics. There's physics objects everywhere. Your spells fling you around. Enemies knock you around and send you flying. Because of this, it handles in a very floaty fashion. Platforming is hit or miss but luckily so far there's not a ton of it. When you damage enemies, they gib harcode. Parts go flying everywhere, corpses mound up, limbs come sailing down from the sky 20 seconds after you've killed a thing. They've dialed the physics up to 11. There's some decent variety to the spells but they feel a little uneven. On one side you have simpler workmen-like spells that do the job just fine, and sound and look good, but are just kind boring. Like 3 different kinds of magic missile spells (slower but more damage, multi-shot but less damage, and then really fast firing multshot but low damage.) Two varieties of "flame thrower", one for fire, one for lightning. Resuable "turrets" that cast these same spells.....But then on the other side, you have screen shaking, exploding fireballs. Wave spells that will hit enemies dozens of times if they're in the path of it. Giant boulders that are actually physics objects and can smash enemies around. A goddamn BLACK HOLE. The cool spells keep me playing to see what else they have, but there are some runs when you get stuck with the less sexy spells and it's a little lame. All the gibbing and exploding goes a long way toward making everything feel satisfying, but if you subtract out all that glitz and glam, some of the spells rock and some kind of blow.

It's the enemies though that are the real stars of the show. They are weird and almost completely unreadable, a mass of flailing limbs and mouths. Sometimes you catch the vague hint of something recognizable but then it's moving too fast or got gibbed too hard and it's gone. It's like everything you fight was run through that Deep Dreaming website. While it's cool, in practice what it means is most enemies are squidlike, multi-limbed things that crawl, flail around and then launch themselves halfway across the screen to get you. In order to help you understand what bit is dangerous, one of their inevitable tentacles lights up with a big purple light to let you know it's time to get out of the way. Bosses are enormous, screen devouring monstrosities where you can barely ever get a glimpse of the whole thing, probably because your mind couldn't handle seeing it in its entirety.

Unfortunately I think, the texture and the creature gimmick does what most computer generated things start to do: look too samey. Yeah any individual monster may have one or more tentacles, eyes, things that shoot death balls at you, and per run in an area you can be like "ok the big green things that crawl on the ground like to leap at you and break apart twice into new monsters as you kill them." But that's about it as far as you can really appreciate them. And with the texture work, it's better but after a while your brain goes a little numb to the intricate and weird textures the AI cooked up.

Overall gameplay is kinda fast paced with lots of "holy shit what just happened" "omg that dude blew up 6 ways from Sunday". There's some finesse but it's not a precise game. It's quite messy in a lot of ways. It's hard to know sometimes what flailing purple bit is actually dangerous, when. Or hard to react when it's both purple and sailing across the screen spinning in circles. It's hard to predict how enemies are going to behave as they flop up through platforms or contort themselves to turn corners or climb, and then suddenly explode into lateral movement. In response, lots of the time you're just furiously dodging backwards, firing off every spell or attack in your arsenal at a mass of flailing death that just keeps exploding into more blood and ichor and limbs and gibblets, while your own attacks are tossing you around or screen shaking everything. You're unsure if it's actually dead so you just keep flinging spells, and there's more crunching and squashing and exploding. There's damage numbers in there, and health bars, but both are pretty much immediately lost in the flesh hurricane, or dudes seem to have way more life in the last 10% of their health bar than they did in the first 90%. So you just keep flinging spells into a pile of flesh and thrashing tentacles until it FINALLY stops moving and you hear the sound of money and blood being collected.

It's fun, but messy. There's not a lot of the precision of a well-timed parry, or super strict platforming tolerances like has been seen in other games. In the first level it feels fairly easy to judge things and avoid a lot of unnecessary damage, but the level following, both its design and the enemies start turning everything into kind of a clusterfuck.

Someone really added the "crunch" to the effects in this game. Spells sound good, feel good, feel like they have weight for the most part. (Although a lot of them sound like straight up space lasers.) There are copious amounts of sucking, squelching, crackling, crunching, roaring, chittering noises to accompany everything, to where when you're blasting 5 things at the same time and they're all blowing up, it's a truly disgusting symphony of noise.

There's a couple other bits to the game that I don't know if they add a ton of value, more like it feels tacked on. Like it's got a stat system and does Diablo style loot with random modifiers on it and a Diablo-style inventory (for a...rogue-lite?) with possible the busiest texture I've ever seen in a video game, courtesy of the AI. They say it's an homage to the "gritty days" of Diablo 2, but I dunno. Just kinda seems slapped in there, and with what I've seen in game so far, the items on offer and the variation potential there, there's not really enough to justify a Diablo-style loot system. Oh boy, a Tier 3 Fireball Ring comes with 5% Arcane Resistance, stop the presses and wake up Cthulhu.

Post game it's your typical rogue-lite. You earn blood from killing enemies, spend it between runs to get advantages to carry into the rest of your runs like unlocking new classes, more Estus Flasks to use, more dodges, unlocking higher tier items to show up in runs, etc and so forth. The game hub is a pretty massive cathedral with NPCs to talk to and areas looking like they'll be more to do there later. Hard to say at this point how far they'll go with it, or if it's just a lot of art and empty space for its own sake. Games like Blasphemous and Salt and Sanctuary, while great, never really fleshed out their content to the degree you'd get from a AAA game like Dark Souls. They don't have elaborate hubs with dozens of NPCs with long quest chains and yadda yadda. So I sort of doubt SoM will either. The trappings are there, but it's an indie rogue-lite for $16 and that should be kept in mind.

I think the idea of this game was based on the technology more than anything, and I think it works in a sort of body horror grindhouse explosion fest. Not quite sure about the story or what the point of everything even is but I guess that's Souls-like games for you. It can be easy to appear deep by just not having much to say. It's also easy just to slap Lovecraftian on there because of everything it brings with it, while not really living up to much of it. I can say at least the game looks and acts like it's a work of love so far. It might be worth a look little later on down the line when it's more....ugh, fleshed out. The first few levels feel pretty complete and I've yet to beat it, but there's obviously a lot more coming to the game, and maybe some balance and polish will help.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 10:24:39 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 30, 2021, 02:13:07 pm »

I gave a try to this week epic freebie "Europa Universalis 4"
... and i was very surprised that i prefer old Europa Universalis 2 (that i still play).

I'm not sure what exactly makes me getting more into EU2 , as EU4 feels the same in term of gameplay  (at least in the base/no DLC game) , that allowed me to very quickly start playing without being lost, despite some changes for some features (the trading by example works very differently , it feels more involved in EU4).

Maybe it's more a matter of taste, the visuals visuals of EU2 are much better for me than EU4, probably because they make EU2 atmosphere being more "boardgame", while EU4 with everything 3D and textures lose that atmosphere for me (at least there are some different display modes in EU4 to work around this).
The musics of EU2 were simply iconic it was sad to not get something similar in EU4, but again it's a matter of taste. 

What made the difference to me is that in EU4 the user interface feels more busy, it seems there's more buttons and so more panels and more stats to check, and i could swear countries in EU4 are divided into a lot more provinces, making things more complicated to me.
But that's probably because i'm too used to EU2 , because it's obvious EU4 is still a very good game, just not as enjoyable for me as EU2 is.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 02:14:40 pm by Robsoie »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 30, 2021, 07:43:53 pm »

I gave a try to this week epic freebie "Europa Universalis 4"
... and i was very surprised that i prefer old Europa Universalis 2 (that i still play).

I'm not sure what exactly makes me getting more into EU2 , as EU4 feels the same in term of gameplay  (at least in the base/no DLC game) , that allowed me to very quickly start playing without being lost, despite some changes for some features (the trading by example works very differently , it feels more involved in EU4).

Maybe it's more a matter of taste, the visuals visuals of EU2 are much better for me than EU4, probably because they make EU2 atmosphere being more "boardgame", while EU4 with everything 3D and textures lose that atmosphere for me (at least there are some different display modes in EU4 to work around this).
The musics of EU2 were simply iconic it was sad to not get something similar in EU4, but again it's a matter of taste. 

What made the difference to me is that in EU4 the user interface feels more busy, it seems there's more buttons and so more panels and more stats to check, and i could swear countries in EU4 are divided into a lot more provinces, making things more complicated to me.
But that's probably because i'm too used to EU2 , because it's obvious EU4 is still a very good game, just not as enjoyable for me as EU2 is.

EU4 is a victim of its own success in a sense.  It's got about a dozen DLC and each one adds a few minor mechanics.  Over time it's become overloaded with little things to do and you lose sight of the big picture.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 04, 2021, 07:04:10 am »

Rogue Lords... it plays like a deckbuilder except you pick fixed characters at the start. And the general theme kind of falls into the awkward position of being facepalmingly edgy without rolling over into accidental comedy... you're the Devil getting revenge on Van Helsing for sealing you away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Late-game spoilers" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 01:52:33 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 04, 2021, 11:36:27 am »

Yeah, I tried a demo of Rogue Lords. I liked it mechanically but just couldn't get into the theme. I never really like playing Evil. Especially not the 'Evil for the sake of being Evil' variety.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 04, 2021, 04:04:26 pm »

I just muted the voice overs and click through everything. The decisions in the events are fairly guessable purely based on the the text of the decision itself.

Honestly, the mechanics kind of grate (for me) around Act 4 because, by then, you should have figured out how to manage the RNG in a passable manner by then and the difficulty increases are mostly numeric so it's just a matter of builds that can synergize well and have enough punch to not get worn out.

It's also presently save scummable, which I confess to doing on the Act 6 boss after a few tries, because that thing is such a finicky mess and has minor UI bugs.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 04, 2021, 04:34:46 pm »

Hero's Hour has a nice, free demo on their website
https://thingonitsown.itch.io/heros-hour

Spiffing Brit playing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEOyrahKuoE

... a real time, almost mount and blade HoMM style rpg/4x game with pixel graphics, where your units aren't abstracted into a single figurine?

thats like throwing candy to a fat kid or 40k figurines to nerds, sheesh

this is the kind of creativity im more than willing to support with a purchase.

also brit's video on it made it look very appealing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: October 04, 2021, 05:49:49 pm »

It's HoMM with autobattler combat, basically. Non-combat parts are just flat out HoMM, mostly.

Pretty solid, does some neat stuff from what I've seen. Highest difficulty is apparently legitimately fairly brutal. Probably get around to getting it proper whenever it goes on sale on steam :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 167