Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295442 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1755 on: June 15, 2022, 03:36:21 pm »

Yeah, more politics (which was incredibly opaque if you didn't know how it worked, and then super useful and actually pretty straightforward once you did), and it was actually possible, albeit difficult, to do stuff in secret.

Forbidden Gods took that and not only restricted the availability of agents again, but also made it so that doing almost anything with any of them resulted in "now all of China knows you're here" scenarios.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: June 15, 2022, 04:52:56 pm »

Yeah, more politics (which was incredibly opaque if you didn't know how it worked, and then super useful and actually pretty straightforward once you did), and it was actually possible, albeit difficult, to do stuff in secret.

Forbidden Gods took that and not only restricted the availability of agents again, but also made it so that doing almost anything with any of them resulted in "now all of China knows you're here" scenarios.

Oh the profile-menace system from That Which Sleeps? Did SBtT2 not have that? Haven't played in ages.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: June 15, 2022, 05:24:02 pm »

Oh the profile-menace system from That Which Sleeps? Did SBtT2 not have that? Haven't played in ages.

Nope. Instead, agents performing most types of tasks would leave behind "evidence" in the hex, which certain enemy agent types could spot and start researching. Once they'd finished researching a piece of evidence, they'd get a negative opinion modifier of the pertinent agent defined by the "evidence strength" of the given evidence. Then they'd usually start beelining towards the nearest lords and spending a few turns presenting this evidence to them, which would in turn make those lords hate your agent the same way. Eventually enough lords would be mad enough at your agent that the nation would banish them from their country, sending troops to attack them and causing attrition damage when inside that country's borders.

...however, there were a number of ways around this. Evidence got "cleaned up" when a particular agent spotted it, meaning that if you killed or corrupted that agent before they could spread the word, their information would die with them. And while creating/converting agents would result in evidence right off the bat, if you could clean up that loose end then the agent could run around completely without suspicion. And there were plenty of useful acts they could perform without generating new evidence.

Additionally, since agents were completely generic and didn't accrue levels/skills, they were more replaceable even if they *did* get too much heat on them... And "too much" in this case meant that they were no longer allowed in any of the nations you wanted to use them in, since suspicion and banishment were tracked individually and were based solely on who the evidence-gathering agents felt they should alert.

This also made The Flesh incredibly useful for subterfuge, interestingly enough... Any hexes the Flesh covered was considered its own nation, and that nation was inherently hostile to all enemy agents. Meaning they'd never investigate locations that required pathing through Flesh-controlled spots, and couldn't chase your agents into those territories.

In Forbidden, back in the beta test, I just got the overpowered one-time vampire lady to show up, handed her the utterly game-breaking rats ability, and had her murder people to the point where the heroes were so obsessed with running to die by her hand that they refused to do anything else against my holdings.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 15, 2022, 07:38:24 pm »

Nope. Instead, agents performing most types of tasks would leave behind "evidence" in the hex, which certain enemy agent types could spot and start researching. Once they'd finished researching a piece of evidence, they'd get a negative opinion modifier of the pertinent agent defined by the "evidence strength" of the given evidence. Then they'd usually start beelining towards the nearest lords and spending a few turns presenting this evidence to them, which would in turn make those lords hate your agent the same way. Eventually enough lords would be mad enough at your agent that the nation would banish them from their country, sending troops to attack them and causing attrition damage when inside that country's borders.

...however, there were a number of ways around this. Evidence got "cleaned up" when a particular agent spotted it, meaning that if you killed or corrupted that agent before they could spread the word, their information would die with them. And while creating/converting agents would result in evidence right off the bat, if you could clean up that loose end then the agent could run around completely without suspicion. And there were plenty of useful acts they could perform without generating new evidence.

Additionally, since agents were completely generic and didn't accrue levels/skills, they were more replaceable even if they *did* get too much heat on them... And "too much" in this case meant that they were no longer allowed in any of the nations you wanted to use them in, since suspicion and banishment were tracked individually and were based solely on who the evidence-gathering agents felt they should alert.

This also made The Flesh incredibly useful for subterfuge, interestingly enough... Any hexes the Flesh covered was considered its own nation, and that nation was inherently hostile to all enemy agents. Meaning they'd never investigate locations that required pathing through Flesh-controlled spots, and couldn't chase your agents into those territories.

In Forbidden, back in the beta test, I just got the overpowered one-time vampire lady to show up, handed her the utterly game-breaking rats ability, and had her murder people to the point where the heroes were so obsessed with running to die by her hand that they refused to do anything else against my holdings.

The Baroness is still strong but sounds like she got the nerf bat since you played.

I'm not a huge fan of profile/menace. I wonder why he changed it to a less engaging system.

Have you read the Axioms thread regarding intrigue?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 17, 2022, 05:50:26 am »

Yeah, before when summoning the Baroness, one of the abilities you could give her would fill any vacant henchman slots with 1/1 rats whenever starting combat. This ability singlehandedly broke the game and made her unkillable if you played with even the slightest amount of caution.

I'm not a huge fan of profile/menace. I wonder why he changed it to a less engaging system.

I believe it was a combination of wanting to try something new, and elements of the community being firmly against the previous system and wanting something else like this. This was a discussion that cropped up numerous times on the Discord, with some occasionally very deep lines being drawn in the sand between members.

And no, haven't seen anything about Axioms, I usually only haunt the same 4-5 threads here nowadays :P

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 17, 2022, 08:36:21 am »

Yeah, before when summoning the Baroness, one of the abilities you could give her would fill any vacant henchman slots with 1/1 rats whenever starting combat. This ability singlehandedly broke the game and made her unkillable if you played with even the slightest amount of caution.

I believe it was a combination of wanting to try something new, and elements of the community being firmly against the previous system and wanting something else like this. This was a discussion that cropped up numerous times on the Discord, with some occasionally very deep lines being drawn in the sand between members.

And no, haven't seen anything about Axioms, I usually only haunt the same 4-5 threads here nowadays :P

The Axioms thread is still on the front page. Barely. Gotta write an update soon. Basically fantasy Map&Menu game with focus on [ D ] [ I ] [ P ], [ D ]iplomacy(foreign affairs), [ I ]ntrigue(shadowy affairs), and [ P ]olitics(domestic affairs). Heavily social simulation driven layer on top of a detail strategy layer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:45:06 am by axiomsofdominion »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: June 17, 2022, 09:03:24 am »

[D][I][P]

You'll want the nobbc tag when doing that particular thing, probably, otherwise the I catches the italics thing and makes your post look funny :V

or just use paren instead of brackets, that works too
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 17, 2022, 02:17:53 pm »

Speaking of demos on steam's demo thing right now: Remember Hard West, the game that was pretty much the Weird West rpg in all but name and mechanics from a few years ago? It's got a sequel on the demo thing right now, called Hard West 2.

It's pretty good. Unlike Hard West's slow rampup in supernatural stuff this one goes whole hog Demons on a Ghost Train in the very first mission, though. That's a bad sad, I really liked the slow pace in the first game.
Love, scriver~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 19, 2022, 10:28:06 am »

Gave a try to gog freebie "Beautiful Desolation" after noticing the fallout-like screenshot along with some people mentionning fallout.
After reaching the main menu that look very fallout like, even with the green font.
Started the game, visual look very good, similar point of view as in Fallout 1/2 , that is quite nice, all of that to say that  i was eagerly expecting a Fallout 1/2 - like.

But after a minute, it's not that at all, it's not a Fallout-like as it turns out that Beautiful Desolation is in fact a point&click game : with the same type of gameplay as the other games in this genre : find an item in the available location, find where to use it or how/where to combine it, repeat until you can progress more and move to next location .

With the main difference with other point&click games i have played is that the items and where to use them are highlighted so there should be less head scratching.
Story so far is intriguing, but disapointed that even if it's a good one (and it is) it's only a point&click game :/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 10:40:43 am by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 19, 2022, 10:33:55 am »

Yeah, the game's store page or whatever makes it exceedingly clear it's not a fallout style RPG or anything. Just a point&click/puzzle one with fallout aesthetics.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 19, 2022, 10:46:30 am »

Though don't take my disapointment for this not being the Fallout 1/2-like i thought for it being a mediocre game, the game despite being a point&click is very good and full of surprises.
But it takes a lot out of Fallout when it comes to the interface

edit : some of the character design is rather wild
Spoiler: Mina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 03:21:39 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 22, 2022, 07:43:45 am »

I had been slowly progressing with Shantae and the Pirate's Curse since gog had it as a freebie.
And i had a lot of fun with this platformer/metroidvania game, the sprite artstyle is very well done and make things looking deceptively (because you'll miss a platform and die if you don't focus) joyous .
Excepted when characters talk to each other as by then they use a very different "generic anime-like" artwork than the sprites that to me is unfortunately not as good as them (those sprites all have a very lot of personnality in comparison), though it's a matter of taste i guess.

The level design was nice up to the couple of last islands in which it felt they took much less time to create them . The last one, that is air themed, is very noticably taking a huge dive in term of design especially the background, just nothing, some spike and chains you float around, then nothing much , then a couple of platforms, etc ...", but up to then it was visually very "agreeable".

In term of difficulty, it was very well done, there are some spots with a minor difficulty spike but fortunately they're short and once you're through you're good and with some of the new items you find it's fun coming back to a level and trying to get into previously unavailable/unreachable zones.
It's much closer to the difficulty curve of Mario 3 than Mario Lost Levels if you know what i mean.

But that is until you complete all the islands and then go after the final boss.
And the stage leading to that boss ... oh wow ... it's not a difficulty spike they decided to do, but make the whole very long levels as huge difficulty mountains with teeths made out of difficulty spikes :D . Yeah, there you go from a game that was overall on a Mario 3 difficulty spike right into Mario Lost Level worst stuff of nightmare.

Fortunately each 2 levels of that last stage you can enable a shortcut (so if you fail or things get on your nerves enough to stop playing you can skip those 2 levels you completed) but that's already super hard to complete those 2 levels on a row .

After completing the 3rd level of that stage and starting to want to throw my monitor through the window in the 4th level , i decided it was time to give up, as after checking a video to see if i was not just playing the whole thing wrong, i noticed there were much more of this kind of level to go through before completing that stage and reaching the boss ... then i thought maybe i would have actually more fun playing something i would actually enjoy ? Just maybe i'm not masochist enough for this last stage ?

Too bad for me for this last stage made of frustration built over frustration, it's like the guy that designed the whole game was fired and replaced by some insane designer :D just at the end because up to there it was a very fun metroidvania.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:46:07 am by Robsoie »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 25, 2022, 08:07:50 am »

Witch's Heart. I didn't slander (recommend) and curse (praise) this thing i played half a year ago there yet, did i? I will now.   >:( (Ah yes, i did, but in anime thread)
A very solid RPGmaker piece that really overstays it's welcome. Like, a lot. It was inspired by Umineko a lot, so it carried over the main Umineko's schtick - wateryness. Characters are repeating things over and over again and there are loads of empty prattling. Half of the game is just fetch quests that are almost completely disconnected from main story (and dear god, screw that fishing minigame). Many dialogues are unscippable for "dramatic effect". Even without those story would quite drag on. There are four lenghty loops, then long awaited bonus chapter... that doesn't really tell anything new. Boo. And then there is happy end of the same size - one, but there should have been four.
Story itself is fine, but nothing special. Graphics are fine, but nothing special, except sheer quantity of character images. Music is fine, but nothing special, except again, sheer quantity. Overall, the game, rather uniquely for this genre, took quantity over quality. But if you ever wanted an RPGmaker "horror" the size of a long visual novel...  :P
EDIT: Words in brackets on top of the post are mostly an unrelated joke about myself. Even when i try to praise a thing, it often comes out as a long list of flaws that probably leaves the reader scratching his head about why i would even recommend it. Not this time, though. Only really praise-worthy thing there, i feel, is Ashe in his own chapter. Finally, for once, a clown that is consistently funny instead of annoying!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:19:56 am by MCreeper »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 27, 2022, 04:13:19 am »

Finally completed "Wolfenstein: The New Order"

And wow, it's hard to understand how can a game be that good and that crap at the same time, it's incredible.

Spoiler:   own review (click to show/hide)

So in conclusion, you have a masterpiece of FPS linear gameplay , that is really good, but sadly features one of the worst crap of "relatable" storytelling
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:19:06 am by Robsoie »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 27, 2022, 05:54:22 am »

snip
I… really have to ask. Why the strange assumption that every story beat was done with the sole intention of making characters relatable?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 167