Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283867 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1770 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:53 am »

The team attempted to develop Blazkowicz into a character that players could relate to, as they felt that players are generally unable to relate to video game protagonists. "The goal is not to have a protagonist that's so neutral that you can project yourself into them; the goal is to have a protagonist that is so relatable that you become them", said Matthies. They tried to make players become "emotionally in sync" with Blazkowicz, using the morality choice in the game's prologue to do so.

Except at no time you feel in sync emotionally in any ways with whatever they're doing with the main character, it's why i insist on this "relatable" because you see their attempts in all those cutscenes hilariously failing everytime.
... out of the time he finally get back into being conscious again in the sanatorium, just in time to kill some nazis again, at least this part was very well done and ... relatable.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 07:03:25 am by Robsoie »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 27, 2022, 11:11:56 am »

Been playing a fun little turn-based tactical town defense game called The Last Spell.

Basically, you have three heroes and have to defend a town against swarms of monsters every night. During each day phase you can build stuff (buildings or defensive structures), level up your heroes, buy equipment, and the like.

The heroes ostensibly have melee, ranged, and magic as their archetypes but really you can build most heroes in any direction. And, in fact, each hero has two weapon slots that you can swap between so I often give everyone at least one ranged or magic option.

So far I've just been trying to beat the first town (well, non-tutorial town). You get 5 normal nights and then a huge boss fight at night 6. The ramp-up in the boss fight is huge, and I have not even come close to being able to beat that yet. Which I assume unlocks the next town, so it makes sense.

It's a rogue-like, in the sense that each run gets you unlocks that help future runs (and often the current run). I assume based on how the runs have been going that I'll need to unlock a bunch of stuff before I'll be strong enough to beat the first boss.

In any case, the combat is fun, the pacing is pretty good, and I keep unlocking new stuff to play with. 11 hours in and still lots of fun!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: June 27, 2022, 07:26:48 pm »

I really like this game called Worldbox.

It is a minimalist god sim done right. It is cute and random, yet diverse enough in the tools it gives, and very capable of generating compelling stories.

If anything, just follow one random soldier of a random village of a random kingdom. The soldier may be a sixty year old war veteran or a nineteen year old idiot who is about to die young. Then just wait and watch as he gets killed by a soldier from another kingdom. The follow cam switches to the killer, so you start following that one as he goes around.

You can continue like this for in-game centuries, from one soldier to another, until inevitably one of the soldiers just die of old age.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 28, 2022, 02:49:02 pm »

I really like this game called Worldbox.

It is a minimalist god sim done right. It is cute and random, yet diverse enough in the tools it gives, and very capable of generating compelling stories.

If anything, just follow one random soldier of a random village of a random kingdom. The soldier may be a sixty year old war veteran or a nineteen year old idiot who is about to die young. Then just wait and watch as he gets killed by a soldier from another kingdom. The follow cam switches to the killer, so you start following that one as he goes around.

You can continue like this for in-game centuries, from one soldier to another, until inevitably one of the soldiers just die of old age.

Yeah it's honestly one of the more satisfying god games imo bc it can just be the standard sandbox stuff, or you could have really neat stuff like the above without having to worry about the game not supporting it as much bc you aren't trying to blow everything up.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 28, 2022, 04:33:18 pm »

And then you get that one orc who, somehow, inexplicably, manages to land the killing blow on a dark wizard and because of that gets to steal the staff and throw the international balance of power into utter chaos.

It's cool stuff! I love the biome update.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 29, 2022, 12:02:00 am »

Been playing a fun little turn-based tactical town defense game called The Last Spell.

I caved and bought this.
I was skeptical at first because of the basic pixel graphics, but this game has real meat on its bones. Great music, interesting lore, and meaningful character customization.

What I really appreciate is that I get to feel powerful, but not overpowered. My first game I had a tank who could shrug off most attacks, but had trouble killing fast enough to keep the horde at bay. A mage who could nuke down large groups or do huge damage to single targets, but struggled against multiple small groups of enemies. And my archer could snipe dozens of enemies in a single turn, but her arrows bounced harmlessly off shielded and armored opponents.
Together, they could cover each other's weaknesses. But then the creepers started coming from three different directions at once, forcing me to split my defenders and leaving them exposed to their weaknesses.

Still, I was feeling pretty cocky as the first boss succumbed to a combination of poison and focused magic blasts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 29, 2022, 06:00:42 pm »

Been enjoying a small road manager game for the past few weeks. All Quiet Roads 4743 by a small single developer and is available over on steam. It has a fair amount in common with stuff like mini motorways but is considerably more complex, and lets you build way more. I am hopeful to see it continue to grow, it has been out for about 70 days now and had an update almost every day.

Anyhow that's my bad pitch for a great game, super fun if that is the kind of game you are enjoy!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 29, 2022, 06:40:52 pm »

Still, I was feeling pretty cocky as the first boss succumbed to a combination of poison and focused magic blasts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, actually winning that boss fight is rough. I'm on run #7 now and getting closer but the enemies get harder every run so I'm still not quite there yet.

Spoiler: Hints (click to show/hide)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 29, 2022, 07:49:39 pm »

Yeah, actually winning that boss fight is rough. I'm on run #7 now and getting closer but the enemies get harder every run so I'm still not quite there yet.

I just won on my second run.
Something important that I don't think the game tells you, it's instant victory when the boss dies; you don't actually need to clear every enemy on the map.
I had hordes closing in on my Mana Ring from all sides and knew I wouldn't last much longer, so I just sent all my heroes at the final boss and burned their action points to bring her down. It was such a relief to watch all the mobs fall in unison and cut to victory scene.

Getting infrastructure on the first few nights seems to be important. Build gold mines first, then use the gold to get more workers and then scavenger huts. Then you should have plenty of materials to pile on defenses later, and gold to buy stuff in the shop. And do check the shop each day! A few expensive weapons and armors will really help your heroes keep 1-shotting things. And potions and scrolls are both reusable, so make good use of them!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 29, 2022, 09:11:48 pm »

Well done!

Yeah, I learned that reading some stuff yesterday. Probably could have won my 2nd or 3rd run if I'd known that, but I spent too long trying to clear lesser enemies and it never worked.

Ah, well, I'm compensating for the ramped up difficulty pretty well now, so I expect I'll get a win as soon as I can get some decent item luck.
Come play Mafia with us!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 01, 2022, 02:09:22 pm »

Playing Borderlands 3 because it was free on Epic.

I run as Moze, the gunner with a mech. Each skill tree has a weapon you can equip on the mech, up to two total equipped at once, can do two of the same. They are a minigun, a railgun, a rocket pod that fires 3-6 rockets, and a teddy bear that pilots for you.

I am suddenly curious what happens when I equip 2 of the teddy bear pilots and no other weapon.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 02, 2022, 02:19:37 am »

They will engage in a fist fight over the control of the mech.
let

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 02, 2022, 07:02:53 am »

Or maybe they'll pilot it Pacific Rim style. With the line that one of my friends heard wrong: "Left brain's gone rogue!"
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 03, 2022, 05:47:34 pm »

Anyone played Songs of Conquest? The recent HoMM clone? Has some thoughts on the gameplay? The pixel art is gorgeous, but it's hard to get to any proper reviews given how it was featured on Sseth's channel - and his video made me think it's still somewhat bare-bones and poorly balanced.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 03, 2022, 06:43:15 pm »

Only seen some video play... and not much at that, because for however pretty the art is, it's damn busy on the world map. I watched a bit of gameplay and bounced right off, couldn't tell what the hell was going on and what was something to pick up or just decoration. Art design was arguably the weakest bit of the game I was seeing, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 166