Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295416 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1800 on: July 07, 2022, 06:41:23 am »

Even worse in Knife of the Dunwall DLC. Overseers attacked a hideout of teleporting magic ninjas and won thanks to music boxes. Now they bunched up and wait for head teleporting magic ninja, who is the magicest of them all, to kill him. So why, for the love of god, they spin the handle only when they see you directly? (Because devs didn't want to program new behavior just for DLC  :P ) They can spin it constantly, but only in set pieces with captive ninjas. Sort of applies to main game overseers too, but there it is just bonklers.

Just a comment - the music box switches off all powers when active and can also damage and push a player.

So having a suspicious overseer become a primary target for bullet/bolt application sounds both interesting and unpleasant, if admittedly more realistic than someone only turning the crank right when they see the player.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: July 07, 2022, 06:06:42 pm »

Smithworks appeared on Steam a few weeks ago.

It's a co-op game played in short rounds, where you are a Blacksmith girl slapping together weapon parts for picky and impatient customers, with the goal of earning enough money to buy yourself a cute hat.

It's pretty amusing. Price tag is Free, download size is small. Give it a shot.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: July 09, 2022, 12:55:52 pm »

Been kicking around on a bit of a nostalgia bent recently, so I ended up reinstalling Majesty and seeing if it was still fun.

Turns out: It is. Got right back into it and set about digging my way through the campaign again after all these years... And, just this evening, finally rounded off the last couple Northern Expansion quests, which I think marks the very first time I've ever completed every single mission in the campaign without using cheats a single time.

Sure, I did the cheese strat for Legendary Heroes... But, seriously, screw that mission :P

After the madness of that and Valley of Serpents, Vigil seemed like a cakewalk in comparison. Spires was a bit finicky, but still ended up getting sorted without too much bother. Day of Reckoning still kicked my ass a fair bit too, until I learned the trick about phantoms that saved my bacon

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: July 09, 2022, 02:28:04 pm »

Been kicking around on a bit of a nostalgia bent recently, so I ended up reinstalling Majesty and seeing if it was still fun.

Turns out: It is. Got right back into it and set about digging my way through the campaign again after all these years... And, just this evening, finally rounded off the last couple Northern Expansion quests, which I think marks the very first time I've ever completed every single mission in the campaign without using cheats a single time.

Sure, I did the cheese strat for Legendary Heroes... But, seriously, screw that mission :P

After the madness of that and Valley of Serpents, Vigil seemed like a cakewalk in comparison. Spires was a bit finicky, but still ended up getting sorted without too much bother. Day of Reckoning still kicked my ass a fair bit too, until I learned the trick about phantoms that saved my bacon

Still waiting for someone to take Majesty 1 and make a proper sequel. Deeper guilds, maybe some extra resource/citybuilding, more enemies, a more detail hero system.

Majesty 2, Driftlands, etc all didn't quite get there.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: July 09, 2022, 04:15:05 pm »

Driftlands is in the same setting as Majesty?

Anyways. Update 11 for Blade & Sorcery out. Major overhauls, especially to the player home. There is a tutorial now, which takes place on(a different part of) the home map. There's a new inventory system that, while neat, is a pain to use. You have to jam your hand into your chest, hold the magic menu button to open it, twist your hand to select, and grip to take. One item that's always available is the zipline tool. Using that near the end of the tutorial, where you zipline down to your house, I nearly died(and nearly shat myself) when it came loose off the rope and I fell.

Along with Gravity, Fire and Lightning now have dual-hand effects. Fire is supposed to be a big explosion, while Lightning is supposed to be an electric beam, but I haven't found out how to fire off either one. Gravity can also be used to slow your fall by holding it behind you. They did not, however, fix my most favorite glitch of all that let's you fly while holding onto a corpse's throat and one hand, and Gravity-TKing their leg with another.

Supposedly, enemies have better attack animations and flow between them, but I've seen them derp out more often than not. Maybe I'm used to the Medieval Mega-Pack weapons, but it feels like all my weapons have blunted edges.

The new home map looks great. The house itself is the same, but now there's a massive outdoor area to explore. The only bad part is that you actually do have to go outside to reach the level select map, as it's no longer in the house.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: July 09, 2022, 04:41:30 pm »

Riftbreaker is like factorio, except instead of a flimsy engineer you're a goddamn loot-addicted diablo barbarian amazon in a mech suit. And that mech suit has an AI, and the AI personality is a complete psycho(do I really need to make it a spoiler at this point?). Haven't  got much far into it yet, but other than the annoying sidekick dialogue stuff between the MC and the AI, it's pretty fun. Controls are responsive enough, camera works quite well for both building and combat, it's honestly nowhere near the pile of jank I was expecting it to be.

My only complaint so far are the goddamn power grid system. The connections it makes are way too chaotic, and the power connectors(the game's equivalent to power poles) always feel like they are 1 grid square short of connecting to the next one, making you build two of them instead.

I really like this game called Worldbox.

It is a minimalist god sim done right. It is cute and random, yet diverse enough in the tools it gives, and very capable of generating compelling stories.

If anything, just follow one random soldier of a random village of a random kingdom. The soldier may be a sixty year old war veteran or a nineteen year old idiot who is about to die young. Then just wait and watch as he gets killed by a soldier from another kingdom. The follow cam switches to the killer, so you start following that one as he goes around.

You can continue like this for in-game centuries, from one soldier to another, until inevitably one of the soldiers just die of old age.
Picked it up to help me procrastinate at work. Quite good stuff, I think it gets as close to "hands-off dwarf fortress" as I've ever seen. My only grievances are that orcs are way too overpowered and having to populate the world by hand wrecks my right hand. Very excited to see where development for it goes, especially wishing for more QoL and legends-like stuff being introduced.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:44:11 pm by Uristides »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: July 09, 2022, 04:51:54 pm »

Not the same setting, but the gameplay is similar, yeah. Game itself is... it's alright? Majesty was better, tho'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

axiomsofdominion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: July 09, 2022, 07:55:46 pm »

Not the same setting, but the gameplay is similar, yeah. Game itself is... it's alright? Majesty was better, tho'.

The Island system and some of the spells in driftlands are awesome. Mounts are cool. Otherwise Majesty is superior. Better style on graphics, better guilds, better enemies. More complex economy. The citybuilding in Driftlands is my least favorite kind though I like the concept in the abstract. Honestly Driftlands could have been so good. As is it is barely better than my open source GlestAE fork that built on Majesty. Actually given a few months to polish that I'd prefer it over Driftlands generally. Again, discounting the islands thing which is pretty cool.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: July 11, 2022, 03:59:47 pm »

Omori is a game I honestly shouldn't be playing, you get a content warning about depression/suicide/self-harm when booting it.  Although I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, got it from the steam sale.

Its like if Earthbound and Yume Nikki had a kid; the game is half that earthbound/undertale "that's weird" brand of humor yet the other half is a creeping dread of wrongness.  A lot of it is characters dealing with loss, friends drifting apart, apparently the main character was in some sort of depressive stupor for four years.  Also a theme of overcoming phobias, ironic for a horror game.  75% of the game is in the main character's dream world, the rest in the "real world."

I haven't gotten stuck yet, though the last two bosses I barely got passed, like "I'm at 3hp, the party's dead, if this hit doesn't drop them it's over" close.  Half the party's underleveled, as bosses give gobs of XP but if you're toast you don't get any.  Part of it was dodging random encounters, random enemies would often be able to two-shot your characters so it hardly seemed worth bothering with unless you halt the flow of the game to spam the save points for free party health/mana refills.

Absolute banger boss themes tho
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: July 12, 2022, 06:23:48 am »

WorldBox

Cute and good fun, but still a little lacking in depth at the moment despite the plethora of random/attainable traits on mooks. Definitely looking forward to it getting a little more solid as time goes on, but even now it's a fun distraction to just blow stuff up for a while.

Fun fact: Dragons can be afflicted with the zombie virus, and when they turn their fire traits all get swapped for acid variants and they start breathing acid gas on things. Which can even cause wasteland biome to crop up!

Bizarrely, despite the many (and at times rather egregious) achievements ingame, this somehow isn't one of them.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: July 13, 2022, 10:43:06 am »

I picked up Disco Elysium during the Summer Sale, and pretty much could not put it down for the next 40-odd hours. That was just an amazingly well-done journey. The way that it's constantly making skill checks in the background, and having the various parts of your psyche pipe up (mostly with irrelevant details, for my logic-based character) whenever you make the roll is just so natural-feeling.

I answered the prompts as I imagine I would have, if put in that situation, and ended up with 'Boring Cop', which actually gets pleasingly meta near the end, with your character remarking that "I always seem to pick option 'D' when these kinds of things show up." I'm already planning on another playthrough where I go hardcore communist or capitalist, just to see where that takes me.

Your partner, Kim, is just the best guy ever. The way he reacts to you is just perfect, and it honestly made me, the player, happy when he approved of my in-game actions.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: July 13, 2022, 11:25:25 am »

I can not express how much I disagree that Disco Elysium doesn't deserve its own thread. >:(
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: July 13, 2022, 11:42:55 am »

Well... we don't seem to have one, so apparently you don't disagree with it enough, yet :P

E: Cheers for taking the appropriate next step :V
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 03:02:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: July 15, 2022, 06:41:19 pm »

Started playing Psychonauts for the first time today.

I didn't know it beforehand, but hearing Moxxie's voice as the main protagonist makes my soul smile.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: July 15, 2022, 08:12:19 pm »

I really can't decide how I feel about Necrosmith.

Conceptually, it should be interesting-- it's like taking Majesty's hands-off style of play and giving it a roguelite metagame, with unit customization via assembly of bodyparts that are loot. Except it just doesn't seem to come together for me.

Has anybody else tried it and can weigh in on if I'm just missing something fundamental to the experience?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 167