Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 293620 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1920 on: September 29, 2022, 08:12:23 am »

Boneraiser Minions is another in the slew of horde survival/auto-battler/vampire survivor clone type games that are coming out or have come out in the past several months. This one has its own spin on the formula and has you playing a freshly awoken necromancer that's trying to survive hordes of living trying to kill you before you can cause more trouble. You do this by collecting bones instead of xp and each level up you get offered a choice of minions to either raise or upgrade. These are varied, from basic bitch sword wielding zombies to more exotic stuff like suicide bombing jack-o-lantern zombies and plenty of other weird stuff. Gameplay is pretty hectic and hard to read at times as both your minions and enemies can fill the screen with so much shit  that you have no idea what's going on, but that kinda adds to the challenge and fun, at least for me. Visually the game is a fairly basic pixel art type of deal but it gets the job done, and some of the art is fairly charming, which plays majorly into one of the stronger sides of the game, humor. This shit is the best combination of juvenile silliness and innuendo that I've seen a game pull off in a while, and it's jam packed with silly one-liners and descriptions that keep you chuckling all the while.

As with most games of this type, it's fairly cheap and replayable so it's hard not to recommend it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 30, 2022, 11:16:38 am »

Boneraiser Minions is another in the slew of horde survival/auto-battler/vampire survivor clone type games that are coming out or have come out in the past several months.

On the other hand, BM fell pretty flat for me-- it's fairly quick to cap everything and didn't feel particularly compelling after, which was kind of a shame because I rather enjoyed the general theme and mechanics... other than the actual gameplay bits.

In the similar genre, I've been prodding Rogue : Genesia which mixes it up by having discrete stages and an StS-esque overmap. It's a very playable EA that sees a lot of updates-- it's not uncommon to see a balance/feature update multiple days in a row... with bug fix updates a few hours after each of them. It has a pretty good feel with a mix of direct levels, in-run currency upgrades, and meta-game upgrades.

Note for those who always try to 100% available content... there's pretty heavy RNG involved.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 12:05:12 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: October 08, 2022, 06:05:02 pm »

After putting Gloomhaven on the side after this crappy "Town Square A" mission that is simply completely unbalanced unfun to me, and wondering if i should then just uninstall the game to take back its hard drive space, i read some post about someone mentionning that the Guildmaster mode is actually more balanced than the Campaign mode. 
Reading a bit more it even seem that people overall enjoy the game more in Guildmaster mode too.

Then i decided to give a try, building a team of 3 this time (on the campaign i did a team of 2) and so far i have completed 3 scenarios and they were all much better on the actual pacing as  i was not close to exhaustation and they all didn't have that "there should have been 1 less room in that dungeon" feeling, even having probably 1 or 2 more rounds left worth of play even with the scoundrel and her lower deck/hand size while in campaign mode she's nearly always on her last cards when you complete a scenario.
The scenarios for Guildmaster are different (there are apparently 160 of them !) from the one in Campaign mode (that may explain why they're better balanced so far as Campaign mode is the reproduction of the boardgame that the dev of the digital version didn't improved or balanced better as they wanted 100% to be the same)

So in case you run into the same Gloomhaven loop as i did in which after starting to figure out the mechanics of that disguised puzzle game you start to have some fun but then after more progression and leveling you don't have any of it anymore, ditch the Campaign mode and give a try to the Guildmaster one instead .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 06:06:53 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: October 09, 2022, 07:54:54 am »

Can't seem to quote replies out of the thread search. Ah well.

Just spent a good few hours with Spellcaster University, previously mentioned in this thread.

It bills itself as a casual rogue-lite management type game, a sort of build your own Hogwarts thing. It's not incredibly deep but it's got enough fun stuff to sustain a few playthroughs. One thing the game's been criticized for its a doom clock on gameplay. The plot is you're running a school for wizards and the ultimate evil is sweeping across the land. You can slow down its advance using a couple methods, but ultimately it's just a clock before your run is ended. What wizards you managed to graduate may give you some bonuses that apply in later runs, several runs together forming the game's campaign. The criticisms say that runs aren't log enough and I can see the position. But when you set the "round" length to marathon, a single run can take hours and hours. There's a lot of variety and things to specialize and optimize for so I think the finite run length helps enforce some variety instead of building everything in a single run.

The semi-random nature of what rooms you get in a run, in what order, also enforces some extra run to run variety.

For all that it's pretty charming, in a euro-jank kinda way. Decent graphics. Cute little details like magical accidents affecting students, or localized magical weirdness shutting down classrooms until the right teacher can get in there to restore order. Decent moment to moment gameplay where you're not waiting too long to get a new room or unlock a new thing or induct new students or graduate other students out. You get that vaguely Hogwart's experience of setting up different Houses for students to join and each one having its own specialties. You get some light management responsibilities and design and decoration opportunities. You get a lot of dood dads to put in rooms to optimize things. In addition to helping you improve the kind of wizards you're teaching, you get fun stuff like dragons and fairy and witches cats running through your school, and it's all very cute.

As a sim though I'd say it's a fairly casual game. Students and teachers have needs but rather than it being hard stop things like not enough food or not enough beds or not enough entertainment areas, the game kind of hand waves it by just making students and teachers leave campus if their needs aren't fulfilled. They go get what they need off screen and then come back which represents additional delays in the whole "teaching wizards" cycle. So really most of the game boils down to efficiencies rather than say, survival elements. If you don't have enough stuff, whatever it is, students just don't learn as much by the time they graduate and you get less prestige and bonuses to your current and future runs. And I can see why the game doesn't put a lot of hard failure states on you. What you get is random and gets more expensive the more building cards you draw from the various decks. So they can't really ding you too hard for not having enough dormitories or dining halls or recreation spots, it's hard to predict when you'd have them. And the game's finite end time means they don't want you necessarily spending your limited cards building redundant rooms over better performing rooms.

So you won't find the kind of logistical gridlock here you'd find in other management games, SU just kind of abstracts the shortcomings away to "students spent less time learning." There's even sanity mechanics but that mostly boils down to "students may leave campus and some of them might not come back." None of it is to terribly hard to manage unless you're trying to be ultra efficient, so the game definitely feels more on the casual end of gameplay.

The amusing thrust of the game is how it models a school environment. Teachers have D&D alignments as do the students, and teachers have teaching ability while students have overall intelligence, and how the different alignments, teaching and learning strengths interact, available magic study classes, etc and so forth....come out to wizards graduating into various fields (there's a lot, like 200) it's pretty satisfying actually. Not so much you can necessarily keep track of most students, you can have upwards of 100 running around, but you can for example look back at them if they graduate and sorta figure out how they got to where they are. And if you've been to college, the meta commentary on Universities / Private Schools as a business is fairly spot on as well.

Anyways, it might be slightly overpriced at $25 and is a couple years old at this point with a few content updates under its belt. But I was pleasantly surprised and fairly addicted.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 08:08:16 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 09, 2022, 01:09:32 pm »

Gloomhaven.

My squad of level 2 Brute, Scoundrel and Cragheart went for a scenario that goal was "survive 10 rounds" .
I was expecting this to be hard, and indeed it was, especially as the additional condition was that the Brute had to survive.

The scenario was taking place in a single big room with several enemies, and 3 more spawning on each new round all around the room, after a few rounds it became a big fight, fortunately the Scoundrel and Cargheart special multi attack cards helped a lot while the Brute was dealing as much damage he could on the softened enemies or was doing the kill on the badly injured one.
All while positioning my troops to avoid the Brute getting hammered too badly.

But after lots of ranged enemies were on the field it became hell and after losing the Scoundrel to some nasty arrows from several rat-like archers (as the AI had the luck to get several X2 damage cards on a row), she was out of cards as she had to burn a bunch to survive so many killing shots, but at least she took the focus out of the Brute for a while. The Cragheart fell on the last turn after taking a lot of damage (and dealing some in return with some Retaliation ability  from a card played a couple of turn before), he did a lot of good.

The Brute ran into a corner to escape the biggest damage dealers but still was assault by 2 guys and was left with 4 health when the 10th turn was over.
Super hard earned victory, my main problem is that i didn't had yet equipped armor to my troops and some didn't had a healing potion, i guess it may be easier with such thing, but money had been hard to get (always the same problem : use a card Loot ability to get more money or use its other more useful ability to reach your objective faster).

Guildmaster is really the most enjoyable way to play Guildhaven,  not only the scenarios are much more balanced in term of opposition and less stupidly large (big scenarios means you waste more turns moving and so bringing you closer to card exhaustation), but there's a system of achievements that allow you to unlock items, new classes and scenarios in a more fun way than in Campaign mode.

By example in Campaign mode to unlock one of the hidden class you have to get a mercenary to retire by completing his own personal goals that can take forever to achieve. But in Guildmaster mode those hidden classes unlock are linked to achievement (and the unlocks really bring new achievements to try) and after completing 8 missions i have already unlocked 2 of those hidden mercenary classes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If Campaign mode frustrated you, really switch to Guildmaster mode it's way better and less infuriating.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 01:11:37 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: October 13, 2022, 06:26:56 am »

Noticed after my character reached his 80th day on Ark( and deciding to back up the save just in case) that said save folder was currently more than 700mb
That sounded a bit too big, but after googling around apparently some people have their save at more than 20gb !

From reading a bit more it appears that to avoid save corruption on Ark servers, the game is keeping a lot of previous saves (that you can't access from the game menu) so servers admin can revert to earlier saves in case things break, and if you installed those dlc you may end indeed with absurd amount of space taken by all those backup. And in single player it still works the same, doing backups and keeping them

You should be able to delete those backed up saves if you don't need them to make some place, at least on single player they are to be found at
...\YourARKgameDirectory\ShooterGame\Saved\SavedArkLocal\
All those backup are in that format :
MapName_Day.Month.Year_Hour.Minute.Second.ark
Though you should keep a couple of them in case you run into some problem with your current save
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 06:37:28 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: October 13, 2022, 08:48:10 am »

But after lots of ranged enemies were on the field it became hell and after losing the Scoundrel to some nasty arrows from several rat-like archers (as the AI had the luck to get several X2 damage cards on a row), she was out of cards as she had to burn a bunch to survive so many killing shots, but at least she took the focus out of the Brute for a while.

Yeah, that's one thing I liked about the board game over the computer version: we shuffled the modifier deck at the end of the round if a 0x or 2x came up, so they couldn't chain (for players or NPCs). Or if we ran out of modifiers, obviously.

By example in Campaign mode to unlock one of the hidden class you have to get a mercenary to retire by completing his own personal goals that can take forever to achieve. But in Guildmaster mode those hidden classes unlock are linked to achievement (and the unlocks really bring new achievements to try) and after completing 8 missions i have already unlocked 2 of those hidden mercenary classes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can you imagine the elementalist being the first character you unlock in campaign? With enough min-maxing, the perfect team composition, and some late-game items, they're nearly as good as one of the starting characters. I think all of the other unlockable characters are an upgrade from your starters, if you figure out how to play them.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: October 13, 2022, 09:30:37 am »

It is a streak of bad luck for me when i got those chained X2 , as when a X2 comes up the deck is supposed to be shuffled again.
But at another point of the campaign i had some good luck for once, my Scoundrel managed to kill a very high HP boss in a single shot (having the invisible status from a card  + the X2 damage on isolated enemy for next 4 attacks ability from a card + the X2 coming just at that right time) .

Apparently with the right combination of cards, items, positioning, allies classes support and luck the Scoundrel can potentially unleash insane amount of damage on a single attack
https://old.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/qhfd93/scoundrel_can_deal_680_points_of_damage_in_one/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:48:34 am by Robsoie »

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: October 13, 2022, 09:39:28 am »

I'm gonna be that guy and suggest that it really seems like y'all have enough to say about it over a long enough period of time that maybe Gloomhaven *does* deserve its own thread. :-)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: October 18, 2022, 03:38:38 pm »

I'm stuck with no internet and a long boring workday tomorrow, so I downloaded some games from Itch.io, including Card Cowboy.

It's a simple game with a map similar to FTL (without anyone chasing you) where you choose your next location, decide how to deal with the issues there, and move on. The main mechanic is playing cards. You start with a horse, lasso, and a frosty mug of beer whiskey. You need to use them (and other cards you gain) to get revenge against the man who killed your father, wooed your mother, and kicked your dog.

Most locations ask which card you'd like to use to deal with whatever event happens, but sometimes you gain a card or heal instead. Lots of poker games as events (but I think it's random), and I've not figured out what solution is best, but I did get 1 damage (happens after most events) and a gold tooth once.

Edit: Cool, you don't need to go only one direction. You can move both left and right, which gives you a lot of options.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:00:02 pm by Iduno »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: October 18, 2022, 04:26:01 pm »

I'm gonna be that guy and suggest that it really seems like y'all have enough to say about it over a long enough period of time that maybe Gloomhaven *does* deserve its own thread. :-)

Boo this man! :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #1931 on: October 18, 2022, 07:48:07 pm »

What do you guys think of the whole Bayonetta 3 controversy?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: October 18, 2022, 07:58:03 pm »

Right or wrong thread for this? Hrmmm. Not sure. If it becomes a debate about a news item, that's not really a blurb anymore is it?

Jason Schrier just reported that the real offer was for $4k a session, for a total of $15k-ish. Not the $4k for the whole thing she has claimed. And he says that she did ask for residuals and a six figure deal.

So not sure. Both parties are claiming the other are lying. Right now though, it looks like she hasn't been completely honest. And she's the one that brought this all up.

Also people are now digging into her personal politics. This could blow up in her face depending on what else comes out, and turn into a cautionary tale about appealing to the internet for justice.

Which shouldn't detract from the actual pay politics around VAs, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 08:01:02 pm by nenjin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: October 18, 2022, 08:18:00 pm »

I'm not too interested in personal controversies myself, but I am pleased that her replacement is also union.  I was worried when this appeared like an anti-union action.  Hooray for reserving judgement I guess~

Kinda surprised at the coverage I've seen on those wikia-ad things, seems a few days out of date (or biased).  Dunno.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: October 18, 2022, 08:21:43 pm »

I'm not sure where is the controversy, from what i read from googling around it looks like the company offered the voice actor X money, the voice actor refused and asked for a higher number, the company didn't accepted and from there the negociation ended and the company went to hire another actor.

Doesn't things works this way everywhere in the world ? i mean if the candidate for a job doesn't accept the terms of a contract and/or if the employer does not want to give you a contract with the exact terms you want, and negociation goes nowhere the candidate will have to go somewhere else looking for a job and the employer will have to find another candidate ?
Not sure what is controversial there.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 167