Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 302129 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1980 on: October 30, 2022, 12:00:07 pm »

I mean, we can call this the religion thread if we feel like it.

We'd be wrong, but hey, that'd be not!thread appropriate :P

E: ... anyway, to make something thread appropriate, in Gordian Quest I just now fully comprehended that my bear does less damage than my golem does throwing the bear at things.

Any game that has a damage optimization process include "Your highest DPS in this case is to literally throw the bear at them." has my at least tentative approval.

It's reasonable when you think about it, really. What hurts more, getting clawed by a bear or having a presumably 600+ pound magic grizzly chucked into you? One tears the skin, the other pulps whatever it hits!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 03:15:39 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: November 01, 2022, 04:28:39 pm »

Hmmm, don't think I've ever tried chucking the bear at enemies before. I'll have to give that combo a try!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: November 01, 2022, 04:34:44 pm »

Yeah, I don't think it's, like, optimal toss damage, but it's something usually slower than the golem, usually within range of the golem, and comes with a guaranteed at-least-two attacks in their hand, every time. Spirit bears are a remarkably reliable toss target, especially early on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: November 02, 2022, 01:31:17 pm »

Genesis Alpha One : never ever trust the "danger level" of a system.
Oh a "low danger level" abandonned ship, let's teleport into it for more loot and giggles...
... after dying in a few seconds after getting on that ship due insane amount of alien nests and crazy high damage aliens, it should have been "WTF danger level" :D

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: November 02, 2022, 03:12:57 pm »

I talked about Boneraiser Minions before but I wanna mention it again. It had some updates, more classes, more weird shit and silly things introduced, good fun. But something that's been in the game a while is one of my favorite combos. One of the relics is called Ring of Fire and it states that all nasty puddles on the ground are lit on fire. This essentially creates AoE damage zones whenever there's a puddle. What are nasty puddles and to get them? Well thy are brown puddles that slow down enemies that cross them and there's four ways to make them so far. One is that they get spawned by pots (either Pot Bro minions or the Potted Comedown spell which rains a bunch of pots that either deal damage or create puddles, flaming or otherwise). Another is if you get a relic called Bustling Diaper, which makes you spawn a nasty puddle whenever you're hit (that's a fun image), and a second relic called Tummy Bugs which causes dying enemies to sometimes spawn them (another fun image). And finally, my favorite method, by way of a spell called Unrelenting Dysentery which literally causes every enemy present to shit themselves and spawn a nasty puddle.

Now, the game is silly pixel art stuff so it's fairly abstract when it happens. But the image of an evil necromancer being assaulted by scores of paladins and royal guard knights who casts a spell that causes them all to violently shit themselves with flaming diarrhea is too goddamn hilarious when imagined in a more realistic setting.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1985 on: November 02, 2022, 03:37:56 pm »

Stuff like that is just not at all in line with what I would expect from the game name.
Funny shit though  8)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: November 05, 2022, 04:37:57 pm »

Finally completed the 2nd part of the Burial at Sea story for Bioshock Infinite, concluding my long long and spaced out playthrough of the Bioshock collection.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:41:12 pm by Robsoie »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: November 05, 2022, 04:48:53 pm »

Bioshock Infinite's story suffered from smelling too deeply of its own farts. They tried to top BS1's elaborate story, and as soon as you get into
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you've basically lost half of people who recognize it's a license to do whatever the hell you want.

Also Bioshock Infinite:

By 3/4s of the way through Bioshock Infinite I started to feel jerked around. And the ending is something you're just subjected to. I really never bought that:

I enjoyed the game but man the ending, in attempting to be this massive send off of the series, just left me irritated with the writers.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:08:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: November 05, 2022, 05:05:58 pm »

That idiotic one dimensional characterisation (hilarious considering the game wants to flirt with "infinite" realities) of most of the people involved mixed with the story completely losing itself once it tried to get serious with those infinite stuff and mixing it with time travel but failing so badly at it, made sure to destroy the few sense the story had.
My enjoyement of the game was only due to the magnificent design and the vertical gameplay fun, definitively not for the story (unlike in Bioshock 1&2 in which i enjoyed that part).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: November 05, 2022, 05:16:03 pm »

I feel like, while BS:I had the best vertical gameplay of the series it didn't really live up to its full potential. The skyhooks initially promised that you'd have this large, almost semi-open level to play around in. By the time the game came out, they were more like set pieces. With a few arena exceptions, you weren't really bouncing around a whole area using the skyhooks, they were part of how you proceeded through a largely linear level. I think BS:I design peaks somewhere after the start but before the midpoint. The sections that feel like a town and have buildings to go into and you work your way through, occasionally using the skyhooks, those are great. But after the midpoint it felt like the skyhooks were just to get between sections and they throw a few scripted moments in there as well. Just a really long way of saying they were a gimmick instead of integral to gameplay.

The illusion of verticality is really impressive and the way it really does give you the feeling of all this open space. I just wish more energy had been given to designing around the idea in terms of the levels and how you get through them.

I also felt like the "Tears" were a little gamey versus how the trailers portrayed them. They seemed more dynamic and useful in the trailers. In the game it was more like "here's an arena, and here's some static tears you can use to get more ammo or maybe a turret." Just felt like with another year BS:I could have fleshed out their ideas a lot more.

At least the game was so polished you could see your reflection in the start menu though.

If I have to say in which order the game really enthralled me, it's still gotta be BS1, BS:I then BS2. BS1 being new and the first, it's harder to see the unfulfilled ideas. And it had the best crafted story of the right scope of the three, to me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:34:08 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: November 06, 2022, 04:36:20 am »

I'm gonna say t that I agree with you guys BS:I had the worst story of the bunch, I will also say that I didn't like the fact that you could only have two guns at a time, probably didn't help the fact that the two I chose were the pistol and sniper rifle.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: November 06, 2022, 09:11:30 pm »

yeah infinite failed the above not necessarily due to lack of thought or input, but simply the modern economics of game development:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJYTeQlvC4

aka it was made by overworked code slaves. it is very much a product of its time, that way

"interesting, subtle critique of unbridled capitalist paradise underneath the ocean" was traded for... a series of set-piece theme park rides linked by awkward segues?

so many articles giving Infinite 9.5 / 10 days after release. . video game ratings have truly meant nothing for like 20 years now lol

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: November 07, 2022, 06:07:25 am »

Yeah those AAA/high budget games always get a minimum of 9/10 whatever they are, maybe a part of the high budget is sent to the review websites :D

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 07, 2022, 06:22:31 am »

It's mostly just audience pressure. Remember Cyberpunk 2077? It had glowing reviews before release, aside from a select few reviewers giving it severe marks down for bugginess and the like. People got fucking outraged at those reviewers for daring to mark down surely the best game of all time from glorious CD Projekt Red which everyone knew would never do any harm.

It's just hype and pressure.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 07, 2022, 11:30:01 am »

"That's all it is really. Pressure, and time."
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 168