Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295367 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2085 on: January 02, 2023, 07:29:58 pm »

Now that's something cool, i tested Freecol a decade ago, impressive to see it still was worked on after all those years.
That looks like a massive update from checking the article, will have to give it a try again.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: January 02, 2023, 07:50:02 pm »

I have a ton of fun memories of Freecol as well. Definitely will be checking out version 1.0
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: January 07, 2023, 12:50:27 pm »

Meet the Batwinger !
My first Kerbal plane that can actually take off (took me so many tries before finally getting the correct positioning of mass+thrust+aeordynamic vertors, so finally the thing can take off and not just drive itself all the way through and out of the airfield without managing to fly)

You may also wonder what the hell is that thing on the nose of the plane and can it actually land without killing its pilots or requiring insane amount of luck to not roll on itself and explode at the touchdown ?
But don't worry the Batwinger is definitively designed to avoid having to pilot the plane back to the airfield, because that thing on the nose is ...

The Batwinger, when madness meet the insanely costly budget it will be to repair/replace the whole plane after each "flight" !
The Batwinger is totally Jeb approved !
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 01:09:40 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: January 07, 2023, 06:08:48 pm »

Meet the Batwinger !
My first Kerbal plane that can actually take off (took me so many tries before finally getting the correct positioning of mass+thrust+aeordynamic vertors, so finally the thing can take off and not just drive itself all the way through and out of the airfield without managing to fly)

You may also wonder what the hell is that thing on the nose of the plane and can it actually land without killing its pilots or requiring insane amount of luck to not roll on itself and explode at the touchdown ?
But don't worry the Batwinger is definitively designed to avoid having to pilot the plane back to the airfield, because that thing on the nose is ...

The Batwinger, when madness meet the insanely costly budget it will be to repair/replace the whole plane after each "flight" !
The Batwinger is totally Jeb approved !

I was quite proud of my night landing in the correct space. No explosions. That was years ago, but it's one of the few non-bug memories I have of the game.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: January 08, 2023, 02:30:28 am »

That's way more impressive than the plane I made, its wings flapped for some reason and even though I had landing gear it still just blew up when I tried to land it. Don't thing I ever managed to successfully landed the thing in a way that it was reusable.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2090 on: January 08, 2023, 01:16:13 pm »

Gonna be that guy and mention that KSP is definitely a game that deserves it's own thread.
It being given away for free is more than enough reason to necro it, if that's what happened.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: January 08, 2023, 01:22:09 pm »

There was already a couple of threads on Bay12, but as both are dormant since long time ago (i think the last one is from 2017) i guess interest simply isn't there anymore so i didn't bothered to necro them.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: January 08, 2023, 08:16:46 pm »

It's certainly a game to binge, but it's not something that has legs like some of the other game threads. I usually play for about ten hours and then drop it for another 6 months.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: January 08, 2023, 09:09:31 pm »

The unfortunate fate of every games

Everything was fine.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: January 08, 2023, 10:14:07 pm »

I do remember one other thing about Kerbal! I tried to see how many paying missions I could do at once, so I tried to build the space bus to take passengers on an orbit around the planet. It was like 4 of the large passenger units with a giant cone, fins, and enough jets to get it into orbit. It never worked, but I got a smaller version to work one time. I found out part of the problem was trying to use the symmetry tool. A cylinder with perfectly symmetrical fins is apparently wildly unbalanced, but it you put the heavier side (it's tough to tell because it's perfectly symmetrical) towards the wind, you can make it work as long as it doesn't touch the ground and explode immediately (which is also a problem with cars/rovers and airplanes, but fans tell me it's not a bug, because it's a perfect physics simulation).

All of the advice I got on making it work or what problems I had were met with hostility because I was playing wrong and you need to balance things (which should be unnecessary for something symmetrical). That was shortly before I gave up.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: January 14, 2023, 09:56:10 pm »

Tiny civilization is decently neat. Its basically a connect 3 game where you slowly tech up as history progresses. Not all that much content (a hour? two?) outside of hard mode stuff, but its a very solid game due to the simplicity of the mechanisms.

At any real price point I could never suggest it, but it may be worth the $2 it costs.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: January 14, 2023, 10:45:02 pm »

Gonna be that guy and mention that KSP is definitely a game that deserves it's own thread.
It being given away for free is more than enough reason to necro it, if that's what happened.

I agree that KSP is well deserving of getting it's old threads revived due to new interest brought on by the Epic free giveaway.

That said, to reply to Iduno - I've totally done the "space bus" approach to tourism missions. It can be tough - and, to be fair, I don't know if I've ever tried a flight with four of the large passenger units, I've definitely managed both a long ship made of two in a row and a shorter ship made of three, all attached to a central core.

One of these days, I'm going to be brave enough to try an ironman playthrough of KSP... but I haven't gotten there yet.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: January 16, 2023, 03:40:54 am »

Against the Storm feels like a masterclass in mixing genres between rougelike, rouge-lite, and city builders.
The fact that every single game is wildly different due to well done randomness and that it puts constant pressure on you makes it a great rougelike.
The fact that each game is short and snappy and the metaprogression is all fun makes it a great rouge-lite.
And its just a great city builder, building up each city as you slowly progress through the tech trees with what limited natural resources you have available feels neat.

Honestly? Its just a great game. I'm currently gotten to prestige 6 and and will slowly keep pushing higher.
It totally *does* deserve its own thread, but it currently doesn't have one.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: January 24, 2023, 01:04:42 am »

I've been messing around on CharacterAI, right now I've been doing the WWI Adventure Game one and the AI's proving pretty good at it. Obviously there's some flaws, I arrived on the front, patched up a soldier and was immediately promoted to corporal which seems a wee bit optimistic, but otherwise it seems pretty solid.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: January 24, 2023, 01:01:43 pm »

My internet was down for the past few days so I was going through my old CD collection.  Looks like my original Starcraft CD has a little bit of CD rot.  It still installed correctly though.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 167