Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283893 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2115 on: February 11, 2023, 01:46:15 pm »

So, I tried out Dark and Darker earlier today.

And it... It makes me sad, honestly. The dark and grimy aesthetic, the brutal dungeon crawling "smash, grab, get out" concept really appeals to me, and even the concept of potentially losing equipment when you cock up and join the legions of the dead seemed compelling, as I figured it would encourage a more patient, cautious style of play.

But no... The creeping battle royale ring and the omnipresent threat of level 20 ultra-kitted murderhobo squads running around mean you have to run and try to get your grubby hands on whatever you can before someone sees you and you get squished, losing everything. As if it wasn't already easy enough to get bonked by the incredibly beefy hitboxes of two skeletons blocking you off and nuking half your healthbar per hit, assisted by occasional server lag hitches and the character sometimes deciding to not actually swing their weapon.

I'd really, really like a co-op first-person dungeon crawler, particularly with that kind of dark (and hell, yeah, even charmingly janky) theme and some punishing mechanics... Just without the BR gimmicks and inescapable PvP. Some actual map variation would be nice too, but I'm kinda a sucker for procedural generation in general so...

It honestly kinda reminds me of Counter Spell in a way, which--while not having the aforementioned issues of enforced PvP or danger rings--also came so close to being something I'd really really like, but just kinda got in its own way with unfeasible amounts of jank and non-content

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 11, 2023, 04:30:42 pm »

And it... It makes me sad, honestly. The dark and grimy aesthetic, the brutal dungeon crawling "smash, grab, get out" concept really appeals to me, and even the concept of potentially losing equipment when you cock up and join the legions of the dead seemed compelling, as I figured it would encourage a more patient, cautious style of play.

But no... The creeping battle royale ring and the omnipresent threat of level 20 ultra-kitted murderhobo squads running around mean you have to run and try to get your grubby hands on whatever you can before someone sees you and you get squished, losing everything. As if it wasn't already easy enough to get bonked by the incredibly beefy hitboxes of two skeletons blocking you off and nuking half your healthbar per hit, assisted by occasional server lag hitches and the character sometimes deciding to not actually swing their weapon.

I'd really, really like a co-op first-person dungeon crawler, particularly with that kind of dark (and hell, yeah, even charmingly janky) theme and some punishing mechanics... Just without the BR gimmicks and inescapable PvP. Some actual map variation would be nice too, but I'm kinda a sucker for procedural generation in general so...

It honestly kinda reminds me of Counter Spell in a way, which--while not having the aforementioned issues of enforced PvP or danger rings--also came so close to being something I'd really really like, but just kinda got in its own way with unfeasible amounts of jank and non-content

Yeah, I also had hopes for the game until I saw they words pvp.

Warhammer Darktide kind of scratched a similar itch (co-op adventure), but there was a real small amount of content for it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 11, 2023, 04:41:02 pm »

Nintendo released for the Switch emulators for Game Boy(Color) and Game Boy Advance for Online subscribers - the GBA requires the expansion subscription like the N64 does.

Not to many launch titles for either, but there are some good ones.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: February 14, 2023, 08:20:18 am »

Starting today, you can buy Zero Wing on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2011900/Zero_Wing/

Also it looks like that publisher is selling a few other shmups from Toaplan too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:30:54 am by Stench Guzman »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 14, 2023, 10:34:29 am »

Finally, it is no longer too soon. (The alt-text was pretty close!)
https://xkcd.com/286/

And heh, I like the talk page of the explainXKCD.  They haven't actually started discussing the release, just the (attempted) forced-retirement of Flash.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 14, 2023, 11:57:05 am »

Yeah, I also had hopes for the game until I saw they words pvp.

Warhammer Darktide kind of scratched a similar itch (co-op adventure), but there was a real small amount of content for it.

Yup... I've been playing a bit more of Dark and Darker since, out of some weird fascination/obsession with the thing, but... I always stop after a little while of playing, when I realize I'm just not having fun. Love me some dungeon crawls, don't love me some getting ganked by "ironically racist" murderhobos. Been watching a bit of tips/guide videos for the game as well, and a somewhat disturbing number of them lean towards showing you how to best ruin someone else's day. Not even necessarily profiting off it, just crashing someone else's run. I guess that's the clientele being advertised to.

Oh yeah, I did figure out what the "character suddenly decides they don't want to swing their weapon" thing was. It wasn't (usually) server lag, it's just that the game defaults to borderless windowed fullscreen instead of proper fullscreen, and it doesn't capture the mouse properly. So if you moved your mouse too far over you'd click outside the game and your character just stands there like a lemon.

There are still lag hiccups, but at least that wasn't one of them. Yay.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 14, 2023, 12:51:29 pm »

I wanted to try Dark and Darker. But it looks like the equivalent of playing Dark Souls in a shoebox with guaranteed regular invasions. The PVP aspect was an immediately turn off for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 14, 2023, 12:54:20 pm »

I wanted to try Dark and Darker. But it looks like the equivalent of playing Dark Souls in a shoebox with guaranteed regular invasions. The PVP aspect was an immediately turn off for me.

Not exactly!

In Dark Souls you get to keep your equipment when someone kills you.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: February 14, 2023, 03:00:39 pm »

I definitely wish there was either options for non-PvP dungeons (although you'd have to figure out how to balance that against the hilarity of accidental teamkills that currently abound) or just the option of going single-group-against-the-dungeon.

Honestly, you don't even need other players to be in danger - once my group managed to get all the way though the first round pretty much unscathed, so we decided to take the red portal down. We got absolutely stomped by the first monster we ran into, barely 15 seconds into the run.

Alternatively, having you lose most of your stuff, rather than all of your stuff each time you die would go a long way to making it less of a slog.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 15, 2023, 11:39:43 am »

Gave a quick test to  Alien Breed Impact (the 1st one of the Trilogy that is currently free at gog) and it seemed it has potential (note that it's an arcade game, so don't look for more depth, it's just about 3rd person soldier exploring, interacting with items and shooting aliens like its ancestor on Amiga was and similarly repetitive )

It was good until i interacted with a computer console and managed to get the game to crash
Relaunched, went to change some options and the game crashed.
Hmm, further testing showed that if you use the arrow keys to navigate the menu (either main game menu or ingame consoles) , you'll get a crash.
So only use your mouse to navigate the menus or at least never use the arrow keys in menu (as it does not seem to happen for other keys). Found from google that it happened to other people.

No idea if that idiotic bug is also present on the 2nd and 3rd games .
Can't believe none at Team 17 that developed that game tried to press the arrow keys in menu or in the consoles menu in the ship ... it's just ridiculous that has never been fixed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 02:55:48 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 15, 2023, 03:24:10 pm »

Just started Metro Last Light Redux while having a bit of a fever. Apparently it's based on an intentionally bestselling novel.

I'd put in the author's name, but screenshots are blocked. Dmitry something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 15, 2023, 03:45:16 pm »

Just started Metro Last Light Redux while having a bit of a fever. Apparently it's based on an intentionally bestselling novel.

Uh, do you mean internationally, there? The metro games are based off the metro books by Dmitry Glukhovsky. The Stalker games (which some of the folks that worked on went on to work on Metro) were similarly based on a novel, if more loosely and without the direct author involvement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 15, 2023, 08:03:42 pm »

The book trilogy are absolutely great, i recently completed 2035 and loved it, heavily recommended and deserving of being bestselling.

For the games, interesting to point that the book author, Dmitry Glukhovsky, was involved as co-writer on the games stories.
Metro 2033 the game relatively follow the events of Metro 2033 the book.
Metro Last Light is basically happening on a parallel universe that "may" (as some events of the game could have happened in the book story while some simply never did) happen just before Metro 2034 the book.
Metro Exodus , out of some events, has also nothing in common with Metro 2035 and is also on the same parallel universe as Metro Last Light, and "may" happen after Metro 2035 the book.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 08:05:37 pm by Robsoie »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: February 16, 2023, 04:09:44 am »

I also recommend reading the Metro books even if I haven't gotten around to reading 2035.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: February 16, 2023, 02:27:24 pm »

Uh, do you mean internationally, there? The metro games are based off the metro books by Dmitry Glukhovsky. The Stalker games (which some of the folks that worked on went on to work on Metro) were similarly based on a novel, if more loosely and without the direct author involvement.

I'm sure *they* meant internationally. I was just too sick to read well, in a moderately entertaining way.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 166