Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294398 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #2130 on: February 16, 2023, 02:47:20 pm »

I also recommend reading the Metro books even if I haven't gotten around to reading 2035.

Metro 2035 may be one you'll like or dislike regardless if you liked the 2 previous books, because without going with spoilers there's something rather big that's going to happen and will change a lot how you view the Metro universe.
I liked it because i really was not expecting that at all .

Better not read any spoiler before reading 2035, i would have got mad if i knew things in advance for this one.

A bit like reading the Witcher books -after- playing the games or after watching the atrocious netflix "adaptation" when both will spoil you by making an early reveal that happens to be -the- big reveal that happened at the 7th book, the impact is definitively not the same (i'm so happy i got to read that before the games spoiled it to me, that feeling when you think "damn but of course ! everything is suddenly ticking together" )
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 02:51:38 pm by Robsoie »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: February 17, 2023, 08:45:54 am »

Been binging The Last Spell over the last two days as it had the big almost final release update come out. It came with a progress wipe so having to regrind everything is a bit of a chore, but thankfully the progression is one of the things they reworked in the past year so it's not only faster but a bit more engaging to go trough stuff.

Still a fun game of having a few broken units smashing up hordes of mooks. Haven't gotten past Lakeburg atm so I'm not familiar with the lategame maps but I'm in no rush to get there as just farming Gildenberg has been fun enough on the higher difficulty modes.

So if you like turn based tactics where you're the overpowered bastard that's mowing down hordes of baddies than this is a pretty good game to pick up.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: February 17, 2023, 09:12:54 am »

Hero siege is bad.

-Buggy
-Stutters
-GUI worst I've ever seen, probably so they couldn't be sued for being this derivative I swear 20% of location names are ripped straight from diablo2
-Not even half decent slotmachine with absent gameplay.
-Keep getting slowed by obstacles, that's the magic ingredient that missed in hacknslash games, good job.

leave it to me IRL friends to only pick the shittiest games
let

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: February 17, 2023, 01:31:03 pm »

I just finished a playthrough of The Temple of Elemental Evil.  It's a fun game, if a bit short on plot and a little buggy and unbalanced.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: February 18, 2023, 04:04:35 am »

Been binging The Last Spell over the last two days as it had the big almost final release update come out.

I got excited when I looked at the Steam feed and saw "1.0 is coming soon!" followed by "Major Update is FINALLY here!".
After much head-scratching, I eventually figured out what happened. A dev did a minor edit to an old update message from last October, which prompted Steam to bump it to the top of the feed and date it February 14th.
No recent updates, but the big 1.0 is still expected Soon™.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: February 18, 2023, 03:58:04 pm »

leave it to me IRL friends to only pick the shittiest games

Yeah, I end up trying a lot of big games, and only enjoying 10% of them. It's almost always little games that are made well that I end up enjoying for long stretches.

Relatedly, I've been playing Bad North Jotunn Edition again. You start with 2 armies of 9 people, and have to defeat all of the enemies trying to invade your tiny island. You can lose some of those 9 during the invasion (they heal to 9 between battles), but if they all die, that army gone for good. You *can* heal inside buildings, but it takes a long time. Then, when you win (or flee), you go to the next island. It's got a bit of the FTL map with an enemy army following you, forcing you to do as much as you can with the resources you have. But you can reasonably win every battle, spend the resources to upgrade your armies, and keep up with the enemies. Although higher difficulties require more strategy and speed.

But your upgraded armies are always sword and shield (good against archers), archers (good against everyone without a shield), or spears (good against shields). Against different mixes of enemies arriving at different parts of the island as you try to keep up. And they have like 6 types of enemies, although you know what you'll be facing, mostly.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: February 19, 2023, 12:19:37 pm »

Been binging The Last Spell over the last two days as it had the big almost final release update come out.

I got excited when I looked at the Steam feed and saw "1.0 is coming soon!" followed by "Major Update is FINALLY here!".
After much head-scratching, I eventually figured out what happened. A dev did a minor edit to an old update message from last October, which prompted Steam to bump it to the top of the feed and date it February 14th.
No recent updates, but the big 1.0 is still expected Soon™.

Huh, that's a bit of a bummer, then again I haven't played in like a year so a ton of the changes were new and fresh to me hahah
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: February 23, 2023, 04:04:49 pm »

a creator I was following had a blurb piece around mech engineer that definitely piqued my interest: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1428520/Mech_Engineer/

travel in a upgradeable walking outpost. design mechs. defeat hordes of critters.

it's early access, and from the look of it may be somewhat repetitive. they have a free demo.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: February 23, 2023, 05:39:18 pm »

Totally Accurate Battlegrounds just released a patch, replacing the anti-cheat as the source of their original anti-cheat pulled support.

Apparently they're also going to be releasing something to allow community-run servers, to keep the game alive when the devs can no longer keep their servers running.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: February 23, 2023, 09:34:03 pm »

Been playing returnal, which is basically a AAA rouge-light.

Tis pretty good, and very solid.
Very little bugs (nothing aside from 2 crashes that didn't matter cause the autosave is pretty aggressive) and very good graphics.

Not flawless or anything, but if your computer can run it (which requires a modern graphics card) it's a good game.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: February 24, 2023, 01:02:11 pm »

Duskers,

Looks like the good old Alien solving problem works there too :  with the door opening/closing, lead an enemy into a room that features an airlock (one your ship hasn't docked into of course) and after closing room when the alien is inside, open the airlock and say goodbye to the nasty pests.
(just make sure you have gathered everything inside that room before, as any item left will be propelled into the void along the aliens

Allowed me to clear a small military derelict that had no gun turret anywhere inside it.
Once the derelict was fully cleaned up, i decided to take it over and leave my old previous ship behind, as that military ship had a permanently attached Cannon (that i then couldn't tow into my own ship) that could prove to be useful ( https://duskers.fandom.com/wiki/Cannon ).
It has less cargo for scraps (30 instead of 50) , but at that point i'm lucky if i find more than 5 scrap in a derelict so it will not be a problem for a long time.
Hopefully it was a good ship swap, but this small military ship has only one slot (occupied by the cannon), hopefully i'll find a better one later so i can re-equip my remote powering upgrade too.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:04:59 pm by Robsoie »

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: February 24, 2023, 06:06:32 pm »

Duskers,

Looks like the good old Alien solving problem works there too :  with the door opening/closing, lead an enemy into a room that features an airlock (one your ship hasn't docked into of course) and after closing room when the alien is inside, open the airlock and say goodbye to the nasty pests.
(just make sure you have gathered everything inside that room before, as any item left will be propelled into the void along the aliens

Allowed me to clear a small military derelict that had no gun turret anywhere inside it.
Once the derelict was fully cleaned up, i decided to take it over and leave my old previous ship behind, as that military ship had a permanently attached Cannon (that i then couldn't tow into my own ship) that could prove to be useful ( https://duskers.fandom.com/wiki/Cannon ).
It has less cargo for scraps (30 instead of 50) , but at that point i'm lucky if i find more than 5 scrap in a derelict so it will not be a problem for a long time.
Hopefully it was a good ship swap, but this small military ship has only one slot (occupied by the cannon), hopefully i'll find a better one later so i can re-equip my remote powering upgrade too.

ships degrade too, so you will be swaping those around a lot as well. Duskers is great for few hours, really nice atmosphere, and you constancly cycle your equipment, so it takes a while to get repetitive. The only downside I had with it is that there is pretty much absolutely no progress, and the "text bits" you get come way too slow. But if they implemented actual story it might have taken out of the atmosphere, and the one they got adds to it nicely (albeit way too slowly)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: February 24, 2023, 06:58:32 pm »

On the 3rd sector i just lost all of my drones while exploring a space station (as apparently there is guaranteed fuel parts, something that is really not coming easily, and running out of fuel for your ship is a game over), at some point of that large station exploration i was warned some asteroid popped up and was going to collide with some specific rooms.
Fortunately those were rooms already explored and pillaged, and that by luck were on the other side of the station that i was currently clearing, so i simply resumed drone work.

As expected (as one of them had a high chance of collision) one of the 2 asteroids destroyed one of the targetted room, making the ones on its sides not functional anymore.

So far no problem as my exit weren't on that side and that part of the station had nothing of value anymore... so i resumed exploration, then i noticed radiation warning popped up on those damaged side rooms that then near immediately progressed into every nearby locations, that then continued to spread as fast into the next ones, until in less than a dozen of seconds the whole station turned  radioactive and those radiation destroyed all of my drones before they could reach my ship.

Ok, at least this unexpected total disaster that was somehow FUN! but that was the end for my playthrough as unfortunately it had been getting too repetitive for me.
But for a puzzle game it was fun for a while thanks to that command line originality and the motion Alien-like tracking/radar  presentation.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 07:00:04 pm by Robsoie »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: February 25, 2023, 07:43:07 am »

Baldurs gate 1 & 2 are in sale on GOG. It seems like one would be able to run it on an android phone... It's kinda funny.. Besides CP2077 the only stuff I buy on GOG are old classics that are able to be run on smartphone. Google play store is for babies I guess.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: February 25, 2023, 08:44:00 am »

The enhanced editions are on google play, yes. They're optimized for tablet, but they'll apparently run on a phone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 167