Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294378 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #375 on: July 23, 2019, 01:39:21 pm »

been a while since ive posted some rough potential gems from the steam mines, so heres a few:

First Feudal!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/733460/

its like a medieval, top-down version of rimworld but if you had permanent control over one person, your feudal lord in this case. you build a base, task your peasants with farming and mining, build meadhalls, and defend yourself from bandit raids which get more numerous and better equipped. like real life, food doesn't last for more than a season without refrigeration, so your food stocks are constantly besieged even as you research cellars to store your food in to help with degradation, so you have to plan around surviving winter when you cant farm. also, don't go crazy with taming animals, given time and space they will explode in population.

Stellar Tactics!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/465490/

this one's been mentioned a few times on here, but its this combo of turn based squad combat (like xcom, with APs and stuff) and space exploration and combat (which plays a bit like rogue galaxy or star trek online). i only just got this during the space exploration sale steam did a little while ago, so i dont have much to say except the map is huge and it pretty well simulates being a squad of space mercs.

Mist Survival!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/914620/

theres not much to say about this one, i got it real cheap. its this singleplayer zombie sim where the gimmick is every so often, a mist will roll in and during this mist the zombies/infected/whatever will roll out of houses where they're hiding and roam around to hunt you. they are strong, without decent gear you could not fight more than 2 at a time. but fear not, you do have help in the form of random npcs who you may run into. they'll help defend your base and you can equip them with some gear and stuff. its not bad but its very, very rough at this stage, so your mileage may vary.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 23, 2019, 04:05:33 pm »

Something that's apparently a topic among fans of Dungeon Master and clones: is it cheating to dodge enemy attacks by dancing around them?

If such a strategy is cheating or unintentional, why even have the game be real-time at all?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2019, 06:18:38 am »

Something that's apparently a topic among fans of Dungeon Master and clones: is it cheating to dodge enemy attacks by dancing around them?

If such a strategy is cheating or unintentional, why even have the game be real-time at all?
What, strafing? Heavens, that's a core gameplay mechanic. Whether or not it was originally-originally intentional is somewhat moot, it's absolutely standard in everything since.

Just look at stuff like Grimrock (I think I remember Anvil of Dawn also doing the same, but I'm a bit fuzzy on it) where if you're moving after the enemy has already started their attack animation, at the animation's conclusion the attack is automatically considered a miss.

All the calculations for accuracy vs. defense/dodge are carried out before the animation gets to that point. The only reason for them to include the "miss if they moved away" caveat is if that was intended game behavior, otherwise as soon as they started the attack it could just "stick" to you and moving away would only be wasting your own time.

Strafing is an important part of the game, and it's not a get-out-of-combat-free card either, as you need to pay attention to your environment and not fall into a pit or get surrounded.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:58 am »

It's not out yet but maybe I'll make a thread in a month.

Re:Legend, a game I've been following on Kickstarter for two years, is coming out on August 30, assuming that doesn't get pushed back. They've been lovely people and, despite being about a year late, they've been doing loads of interactive things to help drive development.

If you want a short blurb, think Story of Seasons meets Monster Rancher.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2019, 08:16:35 am »

I hope they name the sequel Re:Re:Legend
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 25, 2019, 01:22:11 pm »

Re:Legend, a game I've been following on Kickstarter for two years, is coming out on August 30

I literally just checked on that game yesterday and was disappointed at still no release date.  :o

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 26, 2019, 12:58:31 am »

Iratus: Lord of the Dead... If you felt that Darkest Dungeon had too much a priori knowledge required and wanted something with (slightly) more disposable units, more combat, and less mucking about in town, this isn't bad for EA.

Narratively, you're some necromancer killing your way out of whatever hole you were sealed in, or something like that. Not something that really matters.

Similarly to DD, you've got a town layer and a map layer. The town layer is pretty important, mostly giving you post-combat buffs like healing up your units or extra items. The map layer consists of one-way branches and you can see what's there, which is where a bunch of comparisons to Slay the Spire come in. No backtracking, no resetting. You're on rails to advance.

Unit creation is fairly interesting-- there's like ten different units, each of which have 5+1special skill. Each skill can be upgraded once: For example, one skill, by default, is a knockback. The upgrade either raises its damage or changes its knockback to a stun. Units are assembled from pieces, and each piece has its own stats which buff the finished unit (which you can upgrade later on, but you lose the piece currently installed). Units also have their own levels, which determine how many skills can be upgraded (and maybe stats; not sure). Then they have two equipment slots, of which items can be fairly potent-- regen whenever they change position, for example. On top of all this, you, necro boss, have your own levels which unlock active skills and passive buffs, and your own set of equipment. There's also a semi-rare drop that instantly allows you to upgrade a unit's level. So if a unit dies, you can bring them up to speed fairly quickly. However, if you spent a ton of resources upgrading their parts... you're out of luck there. (Imagine playing DD if you had to do the most advanced areas without leveling fresh units first... the quick boost is a tidy idea.)

Mechanically, the combat is nigh identical to DD, with two additions and a few tweaks. You've got a rage meter that goes up with actions that lets units use their specials, and a mana bar that goes up by completing battles that allows for non-unit spells. It's still 4v4 fights with positioning, buffs, etc.

So, the downside: It's early access. Balance in act 2 is kiiiind of iffy. I lost my party to a group that could drop a stacking party-wide effect that does like 20+ damage per turn. My tankiest unit had 90hp. Related to that, their nomenclature could use cleaning up, because that effect that killed me? Was actually classified as a debuff, despite not being marked as one, so I could have recovered if I used my debuff clearing skills earlier. Looking around, most of the complaints are based on balance issues, so... normal EA stuff.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2019, 12:12:22 pm »

I'm playing Metroid: Zero Mission, a game that I lusted over as a child but was never in stores for some reason. Is it linear and hand-holdy to the point of being insulting sometimes? Yes. Is it as kick-ass as eight-year-old me thought it would be? Also yes.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 01, 2019, 01:06:24 pm »

Iirc most (both?) of the GBA metroid games were pretty solid. Some of the better action games on the system.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2019, 01:19:48 pm »

Ah, yes, the GBA games were a treat. I read "linear and hand-holdy to the point of being insulting" and thought we were talking about the Wii game regarding the demure and timid rugged bounty hunter who had to wait until a man said she could use the phallic equipment she'd been collecting up to that point.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 01, 2019, 01:32:21 pm »

The GBA games are good; they just don't allow as much exploration as say, Super Metroid, possibly due to the smaller game worlds. Zero Mission in particular has a very rigid "Get powerup, overcome this specific obstacle, get next powerup" structure. There's not been many moments where I felt like I had more than one, maybe two options as to my next move.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 04, 2019, 12:40:03 pm »

The other day I randomly remembered Achron, that super ambitions RTS that had fully functional time-travel mechanics (in multiplayer too). Watched some vids on it, made my head hurt, but it's kinda nice to see such odd ideas implemented, atleast somewhat successfully from time to time. Kinda sad to see development stopped some five years ago tho.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2019, 10:46:15 am »

Oh damn, when your wordplay is so stealthy you don't even notice when you're doing it :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 17, 2019, 12:48:10 pm »

Some months ago, Obduction the spirtual successor to the Myst serie by the same devs was released for free by GoG for some time.
I tried it during this free offer and was at the same time very impressed by the game (as it was decades i didn't played any game from the Myst serie, the "walk everywhere" from Obduction was a really nice and very immersive improvement) and very disapointed because it just was running horribly laggy and slow regardless of the settings.

I read that since then there were finally some performance optimisation done on it, one update having been done this month so as i noticed the updated version was available on my GoG library, i gave a try.
And playing in a 1024*768 window is very playable now, so in case you were fans of the Myst serie and were interested by this game but gave up due to horrible performance, maybe give it a try again.

Still no key rebinding in the menu ... can't believe there are still games with first person view navigation with forced keys, especially when there are so few keys actually used.
It's APPARENTLY possible to edit the (empty by default) Input.ini located in
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Obduction\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
It's explained there :
https://forums.cyan.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=1272
but you need to make an account to see the actual thing? apparently it's not working for everyone too from what i read on other board with the latest version
Alternative is to use Autohotkey
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:01:28 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 167