Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294699 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 10:36:56 pm »

I might be up for some warcraft 3 if it actually happens. I still have it.

Also, my contribution, been playing through the god of war series now that I have a ps3.

Is it weird to say I actually kind of like the god of war storyline?  I mean it's not the most complex or deep, but I feel like there's some interesting ideas floating around in there.  Almost every notable character in the storyline is fucked over by a deal that bit them in the ass.    I also think there's some political commentary you could reap from the first game.  Powers granted can't be taken back.  You give a guy the power to kill gods, don't be mad when he kills one you didn't want him to.

And god of war 3 is the original genocide run.  I think we've talked on bay12 before looking for games that let you play the villain and do it uncompromisingly, God of War 3 is pretty much exactly that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2016, 02:45:11 am »

Earlier I bought Words for Evil for a mere three dollars on Steam, and it is great fun.
Perhaps it's because spelling is one of the few things I'm good at, but I'm very much enjoying it. Nice art style and sound effects, a fun puzzle at the game's core, and it seems like there's a lot of stuff to complete. It's challenging, too- when you're not getting your party's health worn down in a constant battle against the clock, you're having to come up with a devious assortment of words to get treasure/avoid traps.

Some of the harder words are downright mean; good luck getting them unless you're some sort of history major/total nerd. :P
Definitely worth three (US) bucks in my opinion. I can see myself playing this quite a lot.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 05:00:45 am »

I feel like mentioning Dungeon Defenders 2. This game has had a rough journey...I blame developers who couldn't decide what they wanted to make out of the game, so ended up rebuilding most of it every other patch and for a long time utterly failed to produce a cohesive and enjoyable game experience. Earlier this year, I gave up hope for the future of the game and stopped following the updates.

Well, today I reinstalled and made some new characters and played through about half of the campaign, and it has actually been a lot of fun so far. Weapon animations feel smoother. Enemies feel more threatening, but also manageable. Setting up defenses feels easy to learn, but hard to master. There are still some rough edges, and from what I hear the endgame is still a bit of a mess(though the dev's say that's next on their to-do list), but overall the game is fun. I'm now optimistic for the future of DD2 and would finally recommend it to others.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2016, 03:30:35 pm »

Has anyone tried out Everspace yet? Asking because it sounds like a game I'd really enjoy (spaceship Roguelike), but 30 bucks is kinda steep for an early access game from a studio I don't know.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2016, 02:25:27 am »

It probably deserves it's own thread but it's not really Bay12's cup of tea, even though it should be.

I was completely shocked by Doom 2016.  A reboot of a classic franchise with piss christ looking cover art that's so generic you can put any title on it and it wouldn't look out of place?  Great, this is gonna be your standard linear shooter with a female voice holding your hand and telling you what to do and lots of canned animations and some stupid storyline, right?

Nope.  Surprise!  I'm sure the trvest of the kvlt will find a reason to disagree, but if you gave the original Doom team a crash course on all the game design lessons of the next 23 years and then let them make a game with modern technology, this is what they'd make.  It knows it's a 2016 game but it bleeds 90s.  Wide, non-linear levels with big 3d arenas, powerups, secrets that give you early weapons and shit instead of useless collectibles (A few collectibles, I'll admit), and the best video game storytelling in history.  Fuck The Last of Us.

The full lore is too stupid to describe but that's a good thing.  Unlike Doom 3 which tried to be a horror game and had a lot of tension and slow buildup this one starts like a cannon and totally reverses the power dynamic between player and enemy.  You're not trapped in hell with the demons, the demons are trapped in hell with you.  You're so bad they had to seal you away. 

The game starts with you waking up in a sarcophagus and immediately declaring war on all motherfuckers, and that pretty much describes the entire game. It's pure mindless action and no matter how difficult the game gets you never actually feel outmatched.  It's fast and crazy and you're constantly switching weapons to respond to different threats, bouncing around the map, blowing shit up.  The canned-animation executions are done very well, the repetitiveness blunted by the fact that there's a tactical purpose to them when you get extra health but sometimes have to jump right into the middle of the demons to get it, not to mention the animations are fucking great.  Beating a possessed soldier to death with his own leg never gets old. 

As a bonus, berserk packs also give you special animations and they're even more ridiculous.  Punch straight through an imp's chest like it's Mortal Kombat.  Kneecap a hell knight and then just pull his fucking head off.

Put it all together and the game's playable sugar, as Penny Arcade put it.  No lengthy intro, no long exposition sequences, no cutscenes, no story to speak of, just good-ass game.  Within two minutes of starting the game you're killing demons.

Despite playing like it came out in 1995, and despite having literally the most generic cover art possible, it's a much fresher and more innovative experience than anything triple-A I've seen come out this year. 
Shoes...

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2016, 11:38:29 am »

激突要塞!+ (a.k.a. Crash Fortress +) is an incredibly fun, if sadly Japanese-only, flash game. (It's by the same dude as The Great War of Prefectures, if you've ever played that.) It's simple enough for the illiterate to figure out by pressing buttons until it works.

You build a castle on wheels and put dudes on it. Then you watch as it rams into another castle, while your dudes and their dudes fire at each other. Last castle standing (rolling?) wins.

There's both a single player campaign and a provide-your-own castles sandbox multiplayer. Mind you, the single player campaign is hard. I'd like to see a non-cheesy victory in level four.
Check out my books at O and H Books

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 07:12:28 pm »

I've been playing Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, and finding that the Final Fantasy formula actually fits into the mobile ten-minutes-per-session formula pretty well. I haven't actually gotten all that far into it, but it's pretending to have a story and distinct characters so it's got me hooked for a little bit longer.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »

Thanks to Anvilfolk's great giveaway, I received WWE 2k16. The controls are wonky, and you have to run it as borderless window using the Borderless Gaming app with a config tweak to get it to run smooth, but it has the Macho Man in it which is enough to give it a 9/10 straight out the gate in my books. It tries to rely heavily on timed mini-games but they're learned easily enough, with some practice I can nail a reversal about half the time now. But, I haven't tried a wrestling game since no mercy and the relatively accurate entrance for Randy Savage sealed the deal. They even modeled Macho Man's various twitches and finger points.

Unfortunately Eddie Guerrero seems to be missing from the initial roster, which is too bad, I remember him being a skillful heel in his time. He lied! He cheated! He stole! (our hearts). Booed but not hated. Chris Benoit is also missing, which is sad considering his 20-something year career but not surprising considering his death.

This game is bringing up so much nostalgia.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:18 pm »

I just finished the main story in World of Final Fantasy. The credits sequence was soooo awesome! A must-watch for MMD fans!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 12:03:35 am »

Even though I haven't even being playing it recently, I can't get over how great the theme and tone in UFO: Aftermath (AkA realtime X-Com, released in 2003. 1st of 3-game series) is.

It isn't exactly stellar in gameplay, but by god does it get across the message. The menus, the music, the aesthetics, they all add up to an amazing feeling as you direct your team through an abandoned city full of mutants, and watch over the situation in the geosphere. It's the best example I can think of when it comes to tone in video games.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2016, 03:58:19 am »

I really liked that game!
Unfortunately in the end I came up against enemies who were suddenly much, much more powerful than anything I'd faced before... I think I was so attached to my characters by then that I wound up giving up on the game. >.> Should probably get back into it at some point. Can hardly remember what it was like, just that I liked it.

Edit: Whoa, just discovered a game called Demons with Shotguns.
It looks like it actually lives up to the badass name! Multiplayer competitive gore-soaked ass-kickings and what-have-you.

Maybe it does deserve its own thread, it seems awesome enough, but I don't know as I haven't yet played it due to it not being on sale and how I've been haemorrhaging money. Otherwise it'd be like, an instant buy, maaan.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:53:27 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 04:34:26 am »

Maybe deserves its own thread (surprised I didn't see one, actually), but oh well.

Atlas Reactor. Picture arena-style (modern) X-COM matches with specific customizable characters (a la MOBAs, Overwatch, etc) where everybody's turn is played out simultaneously.

What's that last bit again?

There's a few more layers than just this, but there's basically a planning>action>movement phase. You decide what actions you're going to take, including where you want to move after the action, and confirm it. Then it executes everybody's turn simultaneously with some split-second allowance for what would be rational behavior. For example, somebody can throw out a few landmines and, in the same turn, somebody else pushes  another unit into the mines. Or more likely than not, you're trying to catch somebody in a trap that springs later, and you find you just lobbed a bomb into an entirely empty sector of the map. Deaths occur at the end of the action phase, so no worries there. Then everybody gets to move as was ordered, and repeat.

Matches move fast, with a 20-sec timer and a 5-kill/20-turn match limit. My longest game so far has been in the vicinity of 15min, and my shortest about 5min.

I had a pretty good time with it so far, maybe 20 matches, and it's sort pf F2P; you're limited to a rotating roster of units unless you want to pay a flat charge, but certainly enough to decide if you like it or not.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:36:37 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:50 am »

I got a small one i wanna put on here: Survivalist!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/340050/

It's a small zombie survival sim with really basic but fun mechanics. You start as a rich executive who survived the initial zombie outbreak by hiding out in a bunker in the middle of the desert for months and eventually you can recruit pretty much every npc in the game to be part of your faction. Building is simple, farming is simple, combat is simple (there aren't any melee weapons i know of, which kinda sucks) and most repetitive tasks can be automated. The plot depends on what you choose to do after the initial tutorial plot, but I chose Love because im romantic at heart and because the person this plot focuses on has one of the highest potential medic skills so i figured its important to keep her around.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2016, 02:05:36 pm »

I got a small one i wanna put on here: Survivalist!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/340050/

It's a small zombie survival sim with really basic but fun mechanics. You start as a rich executive who survived the initial zombie outbreak by hiding out in a bunker in the middle of the desert for months and eventually you can recruit pretty much every npc in the game to be part of your faction. Building is simple, farming is simple, combat is simple (there aren't any melee weapons i know of, which kinda sucks) and most repetitive tasks can be automated. The plot depends on what you choose to do after the initial tutorial plot, but I chose Love because im romantic at heart and because the person this plot focuses on has one of the highest potential medic skills so i figured its important to keep her around.
It's pretty OK. Diabetes is an absurd mechanic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:00 pm »

It's pretty OK. Diabetes is an absurd mechanic.

I know, it's the weakest part of the game tbh. I like the fact that I intimidated one bandit into joining me as the exec and the rest of them followed suit so I put them all up as farmers and freight carriers for materials. For the 2 bucks I paid, i feel its alright. I'm content, i wish modding was a thing so I can replace the diabetes thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 167