Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283823 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #480 on: October 23, 2019, 05:08:03 pm »

just found out that Planet Explorers went free due to a technical issue. something about their server systems becoming obsolete so they now only monetize the soundtrack pack. the game is free but apparently there's plans for a sequel starting next year, backers and the people who paid for the game will be able to check the alpha or something like that.

The gist of it, based on what I've seen so far, their servers crashed so hard that they needed to replace the lobby... the source code of which they've lost somehow. So multiplayer is impossible instead of just dead. They're also trying to release the full game source code, but are having some slight copyright issues because of the code for vehicle physics isn't theirs.

I never actually finished the main campaign, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 23, 2019, 06:16:54 pm »

So this exists as of last week. It was described to me as Persona meets Digimon, which aligns with my interests.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 24, 2019, 08:21:01 am »

So this exists as of last week. It was described to me as Persona meets Digimon, which aligns with my interests.

Pokemon mystery dungeon was a legit good game, so why not.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 27, 2019, 05:55:43 am »

Any opinions yet on The Outer Worlds?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 27, 2019, 09:06:21 am »

I've watched someone play through the tutorial. Looks like Fallout in Space with some decent humor, at least so far. Seems decent, but I haven't played it myself.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 27, 2019, 10:31:36 am »

From what I've read and seen of it, it's pretty much New Vegas but better in every way, mostly in terms of not being a buggy bethesda mess, plus being a fairly meaty RPG in terms of mechanics and stats.

Unrelated to that, Hammerting looks fairly interesting, kinda like a spiritual successor to diggles or whatever that one super obscure game was called that was kinda popular for a while around here.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 27, 2019, 12:10:39 pm »

Hah, I just came here to ask too
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 27, 2019, 02:43:57 pm »

Unrelated to that, Hammerting looks fairly interesting, kinda like a spiritual successor to diggles or whatever that one super obscure game was called that was kinda popular for a while around here.
Diggles was popular? Sheeit, I think I've found maybe one or two other people who'd even heard of the game, as either Wiggles or Diggles...

Diggles was fun, if completely fucking broken at times. Shame I can't seem to get the disk to run on modern machines.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 27, 2019, 02:45:55 pm »

I got all excited, expecting to find a sequel for Dungeons of Dredmor (in which diggles were a common foe). Alas, it is not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 27, 2019, 02:51:55 pm »

I was the same Kagus, it was an obscure demo (in german of all things) on a random CD I got from somewhere. Imagine my suprise when a decade later a thread about the game popped up here on the forums, was quite active for a bit too.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2019, 11:43:16 pm »

The upcoming game, Priest Simulator, looks pretty friggin' funny.   

Edit: just saw an ad for something called Book of Travels.
Looks fascinating! I'm sure it'll warrant its own thread once it's out, but for now it's a Kickstarter aiming for release next year.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:51:23 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 03, 2019, 12:17:16 pm »

Ratropolis is basically what you end up with if you combine a CCG with a defense game.

The action takes place from a 2D sidescroller perspective, and you're drawing/playing cards with an StS-esque interface. You've got three major resources-- gold, from a variety of sources, citizens, and, perhaps most important: Physical space. Space is a major limiting factor for your growth, as you can't put up new buildings which'll boost pretty much everything else, in some fashion. (Mostly taxes and citizens, but some will heal combat units, generate new cards, etc.)

Hostiles come in from the left/right edges of the map where your town walls are, and most of your citizenry will probably end up dedicated to various flavors of soldiers. Which is one thing that's kind of driving me mad: There doesn't appear to be a way to redeploy individual units. Combine that with their glacial pace of movement and good luck shifting them from one side to the other in time to deal with an assault once your city expands a bit. The end result if that you basically have to station two full armies at both sides and just park them there which doesn't quite feel right.

Edit: Something intensely frustrating: Your units move reallllllllllly slow, for a species known for scurrying about really quickly. Which is doubly punishing since, if your last wall on either side falls, you can't
redeploy your soldiers to the town hall, and if that gets hit, then it basically falls instantly (best thing you can do is to shuffle units across the center of town where they'll be able to engage enroute. Assuming they walk fast enough.). This is a side effect of soldiers being tied to walls, and without the wall they're assigned to still standing, you can't redeploy them. Also, the builder-class is ridiculously OP if the RNG blesses you. And just really strong if it doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:39:09 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 04, 2019, 05:17:16 am »

Malastro is as close to Left 4 Dead as I've seen a rouglike get, also its a Angband variant.

Place you can download it. Just gonna mention that you can't play it with the arrow keys and that its easier to play it with the numpad.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 06, 2019, 12:50:19 am »

A rather material update to my prior ramble on Mistover...

This is based on a slightly outdated version (forgot to update my travel system prior to getting onto metered internet...), 1.0.3d, I believe it was, so things should actually be harder than they are now.

So the interface still drives me mad. But considering I don't travel with a mouse and using a touchpad is generally a prelude to failure, a pure keyboard interface works out perfectly fine here. But enough about that.

I've done ~10 maps so far, about 2/3rds on easy and 1/3rd on normal, and I'd have to say that the complaints about how difficult it is... are largely unfounded, as long as you're, uhm, playing it right. And by that, I mean utilizing your skills effectively, not blowing consumables, and not wasting too much time.

Utilizing skills effectively: Stuns are your friend. So is board control, as it means you can AoE. Also, manage your own side of the board-- there are combo skills that require units to be adjacent to certain other units, and some are strong. My witch, which deals average damage, can open a fight with a full-board AoE that can knock off about half the life from a tanky mob, plus she gets lifedrain from it into the deal. Combo it with a hit from my spikers (one of which lunges, so it can only be used once without repositioning, the other of which requires a 'rage'-like resource... which is fine, since it can kill all non-boss mobs in one hit after my witch attacks anyways) and most fights are done in one turn.

On not wasting consumables: Remember how paranoid you were when just starting Darkest Dungeon, and you'd go in with twenty torches, forty rations, and a howitzer... for a stroll around the block? And by the end of it, you go into your dungeons with four rations (just in case some idiot didn't eat before showing up and got hungry two steps in...) and an extinguished torch for better loot? Yeah, don't play the former. Running out of light is annoying, but you can deal with it, and running out of food just means you stop regenning out of combat and start to degen. By going light on consumables and using spoiled consumables (low efficiency, chance of debuff), you can cut your costs down a lot.

Not wasting time: Saves resources, and if you're not playing on easy, mobs respawn over time. And don't give extra rewards.

There are still a few weird design decisions-- unlike DD, to teach new skills to your units, you need a unit with that skill in your roster already. Which, in my case, has largely meant recruiting somebody, learning the skill, discharging fresh recruit.* If you've managed to beat Darkest Dungeon on normal/hard, or at least get fairly far in it, you shouldn't have a problem here. (As a point of reference-- I've gotten to the Darkest Dungeon on normal, before I lost my save, and now play on Stygian modded to remove deathcount/timer fail... mostly until mid-tier dungeons whereupon I get distracted, and start a new file a few months later.)

*Literally. As in, the game itself kicks out the fresh recruit. For some reason.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:01:54 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 06, 2019, 03:19:27 am »

On not wasting consumables: Remember how paranoid you were when just starting Darkest Dungeon, and you'd go in with twenty torches, forty rations, and a howitzer... for a stroll around the block? And by the end of it, you go into your dungeons with four rations (just in case some idiot didn't eat before showing up and got hungry two steps in...) and an extinguished torch for better loot?

My main problem with DD was that coming back from a trip packed with spare torches and one-use shovels, you'd look at all your kit and just go "Yep, never gonna use THIS again!" and hurl all that perfectly good equipment into the metaphysical void.

I'd played games before where being equipped to handle eventualities was actually a good idea, with the caveat that you needed to manage the extra weight and space allotment. And I guess I wanted more of that.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 166