Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295275 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2019, 11:23:38 am »

And is it... Actually fun and interesting to play?

Y'know, in contrast to the original?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2019, 11:30:41 am »

It's as fun as you would find that collection of descriptors. Meaning you've got to enjoy new takes on the survival-crafting theme. I do, so I like it.

I haven't played the original but I'm going to make the claim now that they are only tenuously connected by being developed by the same dude. The original looks like a typical Stardew-Valley-em-up (and I have no desire to install Flash so I can find out). The new one is a voxel game wherein you can do quests for villagers, "research" new items, and build to your heart's content while trying to not get murdered.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:38:05 am by Mephisto »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2019, 11:41:58 am »

My mistake, I goofed on the names... I was thinking of Rogue Legacy, not Rogue Legend. The leg confused me, as legs are wont to do.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2019, 11:48:54 am »

I mean, this game is weird, but it's not the craziest game ever like people seem to think.

My mistake, I goofed on the names... I was thinking of Rogue Legacy, not Rogue Legend. The leg confused me, as legs are wont to do.

Oh yeah, that game was 1/4 as good as it should have been.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 15, 2019, 04:19:41 pm »

Has anyone played Jedi Fallen Order yet?

Honestly, it looks pretty good--I cant find much legitimate criticism that isnt hate-fuelled cynicism.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 15, 2019, 04:24:58 pm »

The Steam reviews look like they're pretty good. No hate-fueled cynicism that I saw at a quick glance.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 15, 2019, 04:38:09 pm »

It's not running well, I'm considering refunding and getting it on PS4 instead.  So far it seems pretty good though.  The combat I've seen so far feels a lot like Sekiro, very focused on counter-attacks and dodging, which is a big plus in my book.  Even if it's not as good as its inspirations, anything that moves mainstream games away from the Arkham Asylum model is a good thing.  I absolutely fucking !!hate!! arkham-style rhythm game combat.

Considering it's designed as a story-generator and has robust custom story potential, it might deserve its own thread, but until then Wildermyth is very good and you should get it.  Currently casually strolling towards Overwhelmingly Positive on steam, with zero negative reviews.  It's a genre-blender, X-Com combat, CYOA comic book storytelling, and crisis-management board game overworld.  You start with three random peasants and grow into a company of bad dudes to save the world.  Semi-generational gameplay, characters age, retire, etc. and an average three-chapter game will cover 30-50 years depending on how you do.  A big part of it is the emergent story elements, as characters' personalities affect what happens in the story segments, and they form relationships or rivalries with story and in-game consequences.  In addition to items they can get weirder changes.  One of my guys accepted the call of the wolf-god and now he has a wolf head.  When he got his arm cut off in a fight, instead of being stuck with a hook-hand it grew back as a wolf-arm for a pretty nice secondary attack.  Another character is infected by a tree-spirit and heals faster in travel via photosynthesis.

Magic is also really cool.  Though you can apparently get more traditional spell effects from transformations, the base magic class is the mystic, who can possess objects on the map for various effects.  Like if you posses a boulder, you can fling rocks at enemies, or possess a campfire to slide the fire around the map, doing damage to everything it passes through.  It's a lot of fun.  Classes have a ton of abilities too, which you get as you level up and allow them to specialize in weird ways.
Shoes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 15, 2019, 06:40:20 pm »

Noticed this free 7DRL game from 2018 , Zombie Rogue with some nice enough pixel graphics and some interesting gameplay mechanism around turning to zombie/staying human with an infection bar that get you into a zombie when maxed (you can turn back to human at any time , assuming you have found some serum, they're not rare so i guess it is to allow you to manage your human/zombie time as zombie lose 1 hp/turn)
https://gamefish.itch.io/zombie-rogue

Toyed a bit with it and while the page mention making your own team with zombies/human but i couldn't find a single human (out of a shopkeeper at some point) and couldn't find how to get any of the zombies i ran into (when i was in zombie form) into "my team".

I died on the 3rd floor while on a zombie form with an "assassin" insta killing me (well it landed a lot of attacks on the same turn apparently), not sure if it is intended or an impressive bad luck.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 16, 2019, 01:49:50 am »

It's not running well, I'm considering refunding and getting it on PS4 instead.  So far it seems pretty good though.  The combat I've seen so far feels a lot like Sekiro, very focused on counter-attacks and dodging, which is a big plus in my book.  Even if it's not as good as its inspirations, anything that moves mainstream games away from the Arkham Asylum model is a good thing.  I absolutely fucking !!hate!! arkham-style rhythm game combat.

Considering it's designed as a story-generator and has robust custom story potential, it might deserve its own thread, but until then Wildermyth is very good and you should get it.  Currently casually strolling towards Overwhelmingly Positive on steam, with zero negative reviews.  It's a genre-blender, X-Com combat, CYOA comic book storytelling, and crisis-management board game overworld.  You start with three random peasants and grow into a company of bad dudes to save the world.  Semi-generational gameplay, characters age, retire, etc. and an average three-chapter game will cover 30-50 years depending on how you do.  A big part of it is the emergent story elements, as characters' personalities affect what happens in the story segments, and they form relationships or rivalries with story and in-game consequences.  In addition to items they can get weirder changes.  One of my guys accepted the call of the wolf-god and now he has a wolf head.  When he got his arm cut off in a fight, instead of being stuck with a hook-hand it grew back as a wolf-arm for a pretty nice secondary attack.  Another character is infected by a tree-spirit and heals faster in travel via photosynthesis.

Magic is also really cool.  Though you can apparently get more traditional spell effects from transformations, the base magic class is the mystic, who can possess objects on the map for various effects.  Like if you posses a boulder, you can fling rocks at enemies, or possess a campfire to slide the fire around the map, doing damage to everything it passes through.  It's a lot of fun.  Classes have a ton of abilities too, which you get as you level up and allow them to specialize in weird ways.
What game are you talking about here?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 16, 2019, 02:01:48 am »

What game are you talking about here?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 16, 2019, 02:14:23 am »

And in the paragraph before that; Jedi: Fallen Order, the new Star Wars game from EA, which was primarily marketed by having EA release a statement that they promised not to fuck this one up.

Star Souls sounds interesting enough, but I know I'm never going to buy it. EA and all that. I was also a bit peeved that the review article I read about it seemed to completely neglect the Jedi Knight series when talking about "previous Star Wars games" and how they generally only matched the form of Star Wars jedi-ness, and never the substance...

Fuk u m8, Jedi Knight lightsaber combat is the only one that got it right.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 16, 2019, 02:30:54 am »

wait...

EA made a promise not to fuck something up, AND YOU BELIEVED IT?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 16, 2019, 02:45:30 am »

wait...

EA made a promise not to fuck something up, AND YOU BELIEVED IT?

I don't think anyone believed it, which is why that statement generated so much attention for the game... Now everyone's watching for the inevitable and colossal fuckup.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 16, 2019, 02:49:32 am »

For sure, that's popcorn worthy material right there...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 16, 2019, 06:13:38 am »

ARPG goodness~

Path of Exile 2

Diablo 4

Sadly, neither game is expected before 2021. Something to look forward to.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 167