Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294459 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #525 on: November 16, 2019, 06:16:29 am »

Something to look forward to.

Possibly.

Considering how Diablo III went, and how Actiblizz has been managing themselves lately, I would be entirely unsurprised if they managed to supremely cock up the admittedly very pretty Diablo IV.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 16, 2019, 08:06:10 am »

And in the paragraph before that; Jedi: Fallen Order, the new Star Wars game from EA, which was primarily marketed by having EA release a statement that they promised not to fuck this one up.

Star Souls sounds interesting enough, but I know I'm never going to buy it. EA and all that. I was also a bit peeved that the review article I read about it seemed to completely neglect the Jedi Knight series when talking about "previous Star Wars games" and how they generally only matched the form of Star Wars jedi-ness, and never the substance...

Fuk u m8, Jedi Knight lightsaber combat is the only one that got it right.

Jedi Knight/Jedi Academy combat still feels better, but this is definitely up there.  It's basically Sekiro: Star Wars Dies Twice, with some slight modifications.  Semi free-roam, you have a selection of places you can go with Zelda-ish progression in them, levels are huge with multiple paths, some of which you can't reach immediately.  Combat on higher difficulty feels reasonably lightsaber-ish, humanoids have a stamina meter and are pretty good at blocking but even the tough ones can die in one or two unblocked hits.  A stamina-breaking counter allows an insta-kill animation, or with big aliens, several parries in a row.

Not impressed by the story so far, at least the early parts it sprints through the opening narrative and feels like it's skipping stuff to get you into the game.  Will have to see if it slows down and takes its time.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 16, 2019, 08:13:55 am »

That Wildermyth game sounds great. So it's like what, an adventure party management (in the same vein xcom is alien fighter management) game?
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 16, 2019, 08:35:58 am »

I'm trying to figure out if you ever get more than three party members in it. I assume you do, based on the repeated talk about it being an XCOM-like, but the trailer basically just shows three.

It does look extremely interesting, though.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 16, 2019, 08:40:30 am »

It might scratch an itch that has been itching a lot for me. I've really wanted an adventure-party-management/simulator kind of game for a long, long time.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 16, 2019, 08:59:14 am »

I'm trying to figure out if you ever get more than three party members in it. I assume you do, based on the repeated talk about it being an XCOM-like, but the trailer basically just shows three.

It does look extremely interesting, though.

Yes.  You periodically get an opportunity to recruit a new guy.  I don't know if there's a maximum, in the basic three-chapter story I think I had a maximum of six guys.  A single fight can have up to five.  Really depends on what you mean by party management though, there's not much resource management or anything like that.  At the end of battles and events, or when you capture a settlement, you get one or two items.  You pick who gets them, or salvage them for parts, and there's no way to exchange them between characters.  At the end of a chapter all your accumulated resources from salvage and captured settlements can be used to make new gear.

If you want a lightweight D&D-ish story generator with satisfying combat and progression, it's about as good as it gets.  Still sitting on 100% positive reviews, and that's for an early access game.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 16, 2019, 11:54:10 pm »

Wildermyth looks cool as heck.
Might look into it more and chuck it onto my wishlist next time my internet decides to work.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 17, 2019, 11:14:53 pm »

I've beaten both the main campaigns now in Wildermyth.  Five chapter campaigns take 50-70 or so years depending on how well you do (the better you clear the map at the end of a chapter the longer the period of peace before the next chapter, which as far as I can tell doesn't give any benefit), so there's a slight generational element.  Your characters retire eventually, depending on their class and background, with fighters usually retiring in their fifties and mystics potentially making it past 80.  Still not sure about maximum character limit.  I had ten by the end of my last game, which is two five-man parties. 

Game is a little easy on normal difficulty, but I feel like the next level will make it much harder, will probably try one of the shorter campaigns on hard to see how it goes.  There's a ton of abilities for each class, plus generic abilities, and depending on what choices you roll you can get some good combos going.  Sentinel warriors are crazy strong, intercepting anything that moves within two or three squares of them, and mystics get multiple ways to move enemies around, which can force them into intercept range.  If you've got the infinite intercept move then your warrior can wipe half the enemy squad in one turn. 

Ironically I think the weakest element is the writing.  The stories overall are fun, and the writing is usually fine, but some of it, especially the side quests, can be pretty weird.  Your character's personality traits influence their dialog, and the writing can swing between people spouting off hokey poetic soliloquies, and weird out-of-place millennial voice. 
Shoes...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 19, 2019, 01:02:59 pm »

Something interesting for people playing dos games : there have been a new DOSBox release in June, 0.74-3 , a year after the last one.
It's a "security release" but fixes some bugs too so it's good to get.
https://www.dosbox.com/news.php?show_news=1

And
Ideally, 0.75 should have been released by now, but some bugs took a lot longer than expected.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 19, 2019, 04:11:48 pm »

Have you ever wanted to play Paper Mario but you're a bug?

I did not. Now that I know it's a thing, I do.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:42 pm »

I did not. Now that I know it's a thing, I do.

Apparently that is a thing I want to do.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 22, 2019, 02:40:57 am »

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Saping... and yeah, it really draws from Paper Mario. Played halfway through the first dungeon, but for an early opinion... graphics feel clean (though some things were obviously done for a specific resolution-- the opening narrative cutscene for example), bright, and vibrant, though it makes me very uncomfortable for some reason... I feel like it's on the verge of triggering my migraines.

Combat is very reminiscent of Paper Mario with the active abilities, for better or for worse (if you don't like 'em, stay far, far away... I'm terrible at them). The starting ones are press-when-in-the-colored-segment and hold-until-full style. There's a hard mode available right off the bat, which is, uh, why this only goes until halfway through the first dungeon. Incidentally, it does not utilize a friendly death system; it's straight up reload from last save.

The writing comes across as targeted towards a younger audience and kind of cutesy, though in an unobtrusive manner (Octopath Traveller, I'm looking at you. If I wanted that many colloquialisms and accents, I'd be reading Mark Twain.). Which is perfectly fitting given the art style and narrative, so all's well here.

I feel like there's something to be desired with the map layouts though. It's effectively 3D, but there's a lot of invisible walls where there 'shouldn't' be, like the loft of the room you start in; there's really no reason why you wouldn't be able to jump down from up top, other than gaming limitations. Related to this, there's plenty of missed opportunities for secrets/hidden that probably could've been taken advantage of... (though, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I've encountered anywhere with multiple z-levels at the same x/y coordinates, which may explain a lot).

So at a quick glance... you're basically getting exactly what it looks like.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 22, 2019, 08:35:56 pm »

Children of Morta is an ARPG with some of the most stunningly beautiful pixel art I've ever seen.

You play as the various members of the Bergson family, each with unique abilities. Your family has historically been the world's protector, gifted a gateway-crystal-thing by some deity-spirit-being that helps you travel to new areas to defeat the corruption that has taken root.

You start out playing as a dude with a sword and shield. You block, dodge, and kill some baddies, pick up relics, learn a divine skill thing, and then find one of your daughters, who ends up being pretty mean with a bow. And that's about as far as I've gotten. I'm kind of awestruck by the art and wanted to come tell people about it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 23, 2019, 01:18:12 am »

I'm hung up on the family name
Love, scriver~

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 26, 2019, 02:38:48 am »

The publishers of Kingdoms (new lands, two crowns etc) are publishing a Mars simulator. Looks like its a different developer though than Kingdoms game series.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/803050/Per_Aspera/

It would deserve its own thread, but there isn't really any info and release date hasn't been announced outside of "2020". And...also the devs are really quiet about it and no advertisement for it at all. Even their facebook doesn't get updates. I am taking it that they are super busy working on it, but hopefully next year they actually talk about it and it doesn't die in the wind.

And here is a PCGamer article I found about it

https://www.pcgamer.com/per-aspera-game-trailer/

Other than that, its gonna get compared a lot to Surviving Mars. I'll keep my opinion to myself though on my thoughts between them.

Unless someone beats me to it, I'll make my own thread probably when they advertise it a bit more or talk about it or anything. Until then, it pretty much belongs here. Looks like it may be a great mars game though. Just...I hope it gets made. There hasn't really been any news on it since its announcement
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:46:27 am by Trolldefender99 »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 167