Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294200 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #570 on: December 07, 2019, 03:38:42 am »

I spent a lot of time and effort finding a flip phone emulator, in order to play the two Elder Scrolls Travels games.

As was the case with Redguard, the fun I'm having is inversely proportional to the effort required to play.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 07, 2019, 03:41:56 am »

Wouldnt any j2me environment be sufficient??

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freej2me/

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 07, 2019, 03:43:22 am »

I don't know enough about flip phone games to say. I just followed a guide I found by Googling.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 07, 2019, 04:52:30 am »

Bleh indeed. Call me when someone makes the same game without the clumsy control scheme, heh.

Though if the facing is at least mouse controlled that's not as bad as it could be. Probably wouldn't call it twin stick, tho'.

Yeah, I had no clue there was a substantial difference in the controls, the mouse aiming and keyboard combo is pretty ok once you get used to it, also there seem to be some mods you can get that seem to enable some sort of lateral movement tho I haven't taken them myself much (firepower is king after all)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 07, 2019, 11:11:22 am »

I got about two hours into Door in the Woods before refunding it. I can summarize my grievances by saying it has everything I hate about Cataclysm:DDA and nothing I like about it. The lack of a save and quit feature seams to be a no-sale point for other people, but I never made it far enough to matter.
It does look nice, and it also features a multi-tile creature, which is something I don't see much of in these types of games. Unfortunately the way the thing paths around lends it to getting stuck on terrain, so much so it dealt with itself by essentially wedging its head into a corner.

I'm not going back, but I can't shake the feeling that I didn't give this one a fair chance. Either way, I don't think it's worth ten bucks.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 09, 2019, 07:40:01 am »

Bleh indeed. Call me when someone makes the same game without the clumsy control scheme, heh.

Though if the facing is at least mouse controlled that's not as bad as it could be. Probably wouldn't call it twin stick, tho'.

Yeah, I had no clue there was a substantial difference in the controls, the mouse aiming and keyboard combo is pretty ok once you get used to it, also there seem to be some mods you can get that seem to enable some sort of lateral movement tho I haven't taken them myself much (firepower is king after all)

To properly control the ship with multi-axis thrust, you would need two joysticks.  These days you get that with analog gamepads; This was not always the case.

The game was made for arcade uprights originally, and home game system ports had to make due with the expensive costs of consumer electronics in the 80s.  Nowdays there is a strong nostalgia demand, which would sour sales of a remake if it did not include the clumsy controls, because that's what people remember.  The developers would have to essentially write the ship control code TWICE- Once with modern gamepads with dual analog input so that multi-axis thrust is possible, and once more to favor single 8 direction digital hat input with single vector thrust.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 09, 2019, 10:02:22 am »

They kind of did that I think? The options certainly offer a choice between digital and analog inputs, both for gamepad and the keyboard, the way it's done for keyboard is that it ramps up as you hold the button instead of being a full on/off type of deal the digital control option offers.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 11, 2019, 07:52:51 pm »

Maybe that can help some people on the recent gog Wastelands 2 Director Cut freebie.

On my current run i went to Highpool, on the upper part of the map there's a house that is in fire after a mortar landed on it , the owner ask you to help him to put out the fire, when i put the camera on top of that fire it suddenly lag horribly for no obvious reason.

I had read from googling that people have even worse problems with this game that i noticed at that point with stuttering and lag on other locations , some pointing finger to the unity engine not being great on term of performance, some on various hardware/driver thingy or OS differences.

Checking around, there are some solutions that can make the game running smoothly in case you're running into trouble :
- lowering visual option and resolutions obviously
- disable the shadows that are apparently very taxing
- running Wastelands 2 instead of Wastelands 2 Director Cut (at the time when you claim W2DC there is also the original W2 in your library) as W2DC use a newer version of unity (that may deliver worse perfomance on some system possibly)
- instead of using the default DirectX11 render that unity use with Wastelands 2 but use the alternative DirectX9 one by adding to your shortcut command line :
Code: [Select]
-force-d3d9(this will also disable all those nice looking normal maps all around unfortunately)

Anyways, that said up to where i am
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It feels very good in the post-apocalyptic genre, it's like a very good variant of Fallout 1/2 but with much better tactical combat (way way better than Fallout Tactics on the tactical combat too) , very worth a play for Fallout 1/2 fans.
The actors that do the voice acting are also very good and make everything believable.

Oh and when playing be sure to check every containers (worth getting/upgrading a guy to have the lockpicking skill) , you really want as much ammo and healing kits as you can.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:56:57 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 12, 2019, 09:13:03 am »

Anyways, that said up to where i am
It feels very good in the post-apocalyptic genre, it's like a very good variant of Fallout 1/2 but with much better tactical combat (way way better than Fallout Tactics on the tactical combat too) , very worth a play for Fallout 1/2 fans.
The actors that do the voice acting are also very good and make everything believable.

Oh and when playing be sure to check every containers (worth getting/upgrading a guy to have the lockpicking skill) , you really want as much ammo and healing kits as you can.

The first half of the game is trying to keep combat skills as low as possible to max out everything else first because you don't have enough skill points (which feels right). I think part of the reason people lose interest in the second half is that you have all of the skills, and a few extra skill points. Still, it's a decent game.

Edit: I love the head developer's comments for Skatebird (not the devlog, which is mostly the bird talking in annoying child-voice). They've moved way past the obvious jokes about Tony Hawk, and are now saying the Switch version should have you lead with the opposite foot. Also, making fun of their past self for making stupid programming errors (which are the errors most programmers make. I remember my program that absolutely should have worked, nobody could find the error, then we noticed it started with "Porgram.") and taunting their friends.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:24:08 am by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 12, 2019, 12:38:46 pm »

So far i really like that W2DC, it's all what Fallout Tactics should have been and sadly never was.
Too bad it's not greatly optimised as some people have performance/stability problems from what i read (though the tips i posted previously should help a lot in those cases) with some systems (apparently it even has problems on its ps4 console version), the game is really good for people that loved Fallout 1 and 2.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 12, 2019, 05:11:08 pm »

I started playing Wasteland 2 a couple months back.  Got to those radiation cultists guys and stopped playing and I don't know why.

Also the font is too small in that game.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 12, 2019, 06:16:34 pm »

In the DC version, there's a text size in the gameplay settings and hud size in the video settings , while it allows the game to be much more readable than with the default settings it could be better as even at its maximum the text size can be problematic if you're on a small monitor (and at lower resolution settings increasing the hud, that also increase text size, will make several parts of the hud on top of each other).

It sure could have been made better, like the performance optimisations too.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 12, 2019, 06:35:46 pm »

Wasteland 2 is brutal, I'm barely into the first mission ( Ag Center) and I've already lost 3 squad members. Turns out that you need to have some ranks in field medicine to use those damn health packs...

giving the medic role to a melee fighter didn't help either
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 12, 2019, 06:45:24 pm »

I feel like WL2 starts strong, then starts getting bland. Especially when it comes to characters. What seems like a lot of options and variety starting out begins feeling samey as you realize there's only so many combinations of skills worth having. Unless you're like "Yeah I want to tote around someone with high science skill and basically nothing else."

That and I felt like all the environmental interaction and dialog options meaning something was all front loaded in the first big quest, and it just got thinner the further through the game you got.

I've tried about 3 times to get deep into it, and right about the Cultist part, after cleaning up and doing everything prior to that, is where I too just simply stop playing for more engaging things.

Hard to argue with free though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:04:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2019, 02:54:51 am »

Hades, by Supergiant, the same guys who did Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre (the last of which you evidently get a copy, plus a giftable copy, if you buy it on Steam... formerly EGS exclusive), is pretty solid, though I'd say it's coming across a bit shallow so far. Note that I haven't actually played the latter two, so comparisons will be to Bastion when applicable. Numbers are approximate.

Without getting into spoilerific territory, you're the son of Hades in a Greco-Roman setting, and you're trying to get back to the world of the living. And, as Kratos has long since taught us, there's exactly one way to do it... in here, you're killing your way out, room by room. Each room has up to three exits, the reward of which is denoted by the icons on them.

Dying is pretty much required, to advance the gameplay and the narrative. And hey, it makes perfect sense here! Every time you die, you just pop back up at the end of the queue of souls awaiting judgement, shove your way past the line, through your bedroom, and back into the underworld.

The narrative unfolds slowly through play, mostly via dialogues, all the major characters of which are voiced. (Sadly, not as alluring as the voice of the narrator, or even the Ancestor from Darkest Dungeon.)

The combat plays a bit like Bastion. You've got your weapon, 4 so far, with its basic combo, charge attack, and special, a ranged cast, a god power, and a dash. Pretty much everything ties into these moves. It kind of ends up a giant clickfest, which is a bit of a downer.

The upgrade system is clearly where they're focusing.-- there's maybe eight gods, each of which have ten or so powers they can give you, each of which can be upgraded. Upgrades stack, unless they're conflicting (generally, modifiers to your base attack, cast, dash, or god power). And some of them combo really nicely-- my favorite of which is with the best ranged option so far... the shield. You go Captain America with it, it ricochets from target to target; an Ares special upgrade makes each target hit with your special take a a pretty heavy hit after a few seconds, and an Artemis general upgrade makes all your direct attacks fire a homing bullet. There's a nice assortment of abilities, and I'm having a lot of fun playing with combos.

Oh, and the fourth boss is quite something.

Edit: I think I've been calling the Nectar Ambrosia this whole time...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:32:34 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 167