Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 293668 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2019, 03:47:57 am »

I hadn't played Pyre, so this special offer was extra nice for including the free copy (it's just the one, far as I can tell, but it can either be gifted or added to your account). Transistor was ace though, definitely play that.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2019, 04:11:29 am »

I hadn't played Pyre, so this special offer was extra nice for including the free copy (it's just the one, far as I can tell, but it can either be gifted or added to your account). Transistor was ace though, definitely play that.

Double checked-- according to other sources, it was allowing the double dip only for a few hours, and the devs admitted that it was an error in how they set it up. If you bought it early and got two copies of Pyre, you got lucky.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2019, 07:32:03 am »

A low point of Wastelands 2 to me is the lack of stealth play in my opinion, when crossing a location you are forced into several firefights on specific places of said location (that you can even guess in advance as they're the one where convenientely there are rocks and ruined things that are going to be used as covers), even old Fallout 1/2 had some stealth elements but nothing like that in W2 sadly.

I guess it's not helping that the locations you get into are rather linear, so you can't avoid running into the scripted enemy that is waiting on those specific places.
It's also very annoying that the soldiers can't move while in crouching position, so you have to crouch again everytime you finish moving a guy.

Jagged Alliance 2 is still the undefeated king of tactical combat.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:33:57 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2019, 10:23:23 am »

Weird puzzle game called Superliminal.

https://youtu.be/IGpB8aULB_g

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 13, 2019, 02:00:45 pm »

The most resource-intensive text adventure you'll never play, AI Dungeon 2.

Last I've heard, you need 12 gigs of RAM and a CUDA GPU. If my server had a GPU, I'd probably consider throwing a copy on there to fuck around with. But it doesn't so I'll continue dreaming.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:04:06 pm by Mephisto »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 13, 2019, 04:50:20 pm »

Temporarily free games? You got a few hours left for demos: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thesteamgamefestival

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 14, 2019, 06:50:41 am »

Wasteland 2 shenanigans:

-okay folks, here’s the plan. There are about ten mutant bugs in the next room and only one way to get there. So we are going to set up an ambush in this here room. Everyone spread out, find some cover, and be ready to blast anything that comes out of that damn door. When everyone is in position, our big boy Uri is going to draw their attention and then run back to us. Ready? Go!

*encounter begins*
*angie deth goes rogue*
*rose goes rogue*
*A scream echoes in the hallway*

“LEEEROY JENKINS”
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 14, 2019, 07:22:39 am »

I got something like that at some point, vulture's cry (super obnoxious with her various remarks during the adventure, but at least she's a great sniper) and angela deth (she came from the 1st game, she's my door kicker :D ) decided to go on their own after i had carefully placed them in good cover position.

It was then i decided i should get one of the character invest points in leadership.

Anyways, you something find great informations when exploring
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 15, 2019, 06:14:10 pm »

Still on Wastelands 2, solved the Topekan vs Atchinson problems in Rail Nomads Camp.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 15, 2019, 07:36:58 pm »

Octopath Traveler, by (or published by?) Square...

Absolutely gorgeous pixel art, with some interesting graphical effects that I think are trying to modernize with some varying degree of success.. One you'll see a lot of bloom and distance blur. Both of which I personally think detract from the art, since it kind of turns everything into an impossible to see mess.

It kind of uses the SaGa formula, where you pick one of an assortment of characters that you get to recruit later, and each have their own primary storyline. Also plenty of skills. There's a bit of Bravely Default feel in there how you can bank Boost points and expend them to attack harder/multiple times, and enemies have specific weaknesses where, if you hit them with it enough, they get stunned for a turn and take extra damage.

Each character has a personal special: The merchant can buy 'personal' items from NPCs (and while most are just vendor goods, some are rare items, and others are things you wouldn't be able to get until way later), another lets you see their history, which is mostly for flavor, but also can be the main thing in resolving sidequests, etc. You can also 'tame' monsters... or NPCs.

PC controls are obviously for controller, but they're among the best I've seen. Keys make sense (generally speaking, escape drops a menu as far as reasonable, backspace is a one-step cancel, enter accpets, etc.), and functions that are not inherently obvious tend to be marked (Boost, for example). There's a healthy amount of voicing, in both English and Japanese.

The big problem? I can't help but find it crushingly boring. It is just plain not interesting. To the point that I actually stopped and decided to start making colorful patterns on my plate with my M&Ms.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 16, 2019, 09:41:20 am »

SquareEnix...
I can't help but find it crushingly boring. It is just plain not interesting.[/b]

Yeah. 2 great companies who shat the bed joining up. At least they aren't EA, but...

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 16, 2019, 11:07:43 am »

The most resource-intensive text adventure you'll never play, AI Dungeon 2.

Last I've heard, you need 12 gigs of RAM and a CUDA GPU. If my server had a GPU, I'd probably consider throwing a copy on there to fuck around with. But it doesn't so I'll continue dreaming.

That's actually 8GB of RAM and a fast CPU /or/ GPU with 12GB of VRAM. It's actually simple to run local if you already know how to set up a server and it's good fun.

Otherwise...I've just got Freedom Planet off a sale. Now I feel like quoting one of the more recent TPS strip out there.

it's excellent, but nothing makes you feel exhausted and old quite like ultra-fast-pace action platformers, and that one's not even supposed to be particularly hard. :-[
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 16, 2019, 07:06:34 pm »

Still in Wastelands 2
I'm now at the point in which the game enemies are moving from various variants of raiders to mad robots of various kind and ability.
I was starting to wonder if it was going to basically forces the player to invest precious skill points in energy weapon only (as those weapons are supposed to double damage against materials like the ones from robots, but less damage to other materials) or in heavy weapons like the various explosives and launchers.

Fortunately i found out that energy weapons aren't really better against robots (i guess because at that point of the game your characters are probably very nicely leveled in their main weaponry) as their base damage is lower than regular weapon and their damage bonus somehow makes them dealing roughly similar damage as the best "normal" weapons you have and have chacaters with good level in.

Good as it still allow various weapon styles instead of forcing everyone to invest skill points in energy weaponry.

But what surprised me was that i have a guy that seriously invested in computer science amongst other skills ... and computer science can actually be used in combat against robots !

Meaning you can neutralize / convert to your side nearly every enemy robots ! (though they also self destruct once the remaining enemy robots are dead) if you have some good computer scientist, unfortunately does not work on those nasty resilient huge spider-like robots (it's a very good idea to focus fire on those threats as they're capable of dealing serious damage)
That's truly fantastic use of this skill as some of the robots can be a real pain (like the ones that generate fields that halve your character accuracy, or the ones that auto-shoot laser) and getting that pain be unleashed on the other robots that are still enemy is a great way to transform a defeat in the making into a fun victory.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 21, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »

thinking about getting Blasphemous because of the steam sale; anyone know if it's better or worse on switch? i doubt there's a switch sale but i wouldn't have dig my steam controller out if switch is better.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 167