Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295014 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2016, 09:04:24 pm »

Blacksea Odyssey: Effectively a twinstick shooter, you're dropping into sectors of space hunting giant animals that drop keys, money, and occasionally loot to upgrade your weapons/ship. What differentiates this from the rest is that the beasts are made up of parts, and by focusing fire on them, you can rip them right off with your secondary weapon-- a harpoon. For example, one of the beasts is a giant frog with spikes on its legs. You could just fire at it randomly until it dies, but if you target the legs and rip them off, you don't have to worry about getting hit by its spikes, getting your shots blocked by the spikes, it'll lose a bit of mobility, and you'll deal a huge amount of damage in the process. (Currently available on Bundle Stars, which is where I picked it up a few hours ago.)

It's more interesting than I expected, and much better than its rather silly banner on Steam would indicate (an old timey sailor running from a giant ball of tentacles with a Sarlac pit?)... though, to be honest, I'm not sure if I would've gone in on it if I didn't already have an eye towards RymdResa in the bundle.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 09:13:15 pm »

Man, let me just say. If you haven't seen it yet, and it sounds like you haven't. That last stage. That game's final boss is freaking incredible. Look forward to it. I would recommend getting the game strictly to experience that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 09:23:45 pm »

Man, let me just say. If you haven't seen it yet, and it sounds like you haven't. That last stage. That game's final boss is freaking incredible. Look forward to it. I would recommend getting the game strictly to experience that.

Yep, haven't yet. I think I got 6 missions in, before I was engaging a rather large boss with hit and run tactics... and promptly slammed into the edge of the map, letting everything chasing me catch up and pound me into oblivion. -_-

Edit: It does seem to crash distressingly often though. Third time I've had it crash 6+ stages in, which means upwards of half an hour lost.
Edit 2: Hnnnnnng. Yes. Epic final hunt. Very, very easy fight though, compared to the stuff in Desert/Abyss. Also: Failed to get the 60min unlock by eight seconds. Because the timer doesn't stop when the boss is dead, but when the cutscene ends, tacking on about 15 seconds. -_-
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:09:59 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2016, 09:50:01 am »

So. Who here plays Boring Man Online Tactical Stickman Combat?

Y'know, the game with the 2-d battlefield. And stickman. And oh so many kinds of guns weapons.

Like revolvers. Uzis. Assault rifles. Sniper rifles.

Multi-state pellet blasters. Disc launchers. MAGIC. Fire Uzis.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 07:14:04 am »

Several days ago i noticed on the free game thread the mention GOG offered this Neverwinter Nights Diamond on GOG several days ago jewel free for some hours and claimed it as i never played this one.

I've spent a couple of days downloading the humongous files , the 1.69 "critical rebuild" patch (as it's apparently still recommended to patch it to avoid some missing files from the GOG install) , fetched the premium-now-free modules and the recommended dat generator for them, i was ready to try this one.

And so far i had lots of fun, even despite i'm playing the original campaign everyone said to be boring as it's a bit generic , i decided to play a neutral evil rogue and after leveling to meet the prestige class requirement, biclass it to assassin and trying to roleplay the gal up to her alignement that the campaign surprinsgly allowed in some instance despite not being able to actually work against the main plot "heroes".

So now i just ended the Chapter 1, after defeating (fortunately he surrender after a while has they gave him stupidly high health) the last enemy of the chapter after the little twist (that everyone saw coming, as said the campaign is too generic to make it a surprise)

But since a couple of hours from before that last fight i find that i have a very hard time hitting anything , missing nearly 80% of my strikes
My character stats in case someone can spot the problem :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sure i sometime kill an enemy, but it's incredibly rare i hit anything, that makes it a real annoyance since the nice "Death Attack" that is able to paralyse unalerted enemy that i can approach with high stealth is missing nearly everytime, i think since i play the assassin it only hit 2 times despite i do the stealth approach on absolutely everything.

while my demi-ork mercenary nearly hit at any strike he does.
I really can't figure out what's going on since those few last hours, i could understand when facing bosses (that fortunately i can buff myself to the max with tons of potions before fighting them), but it happens even against lowly peons .
Is it just really bad luck in the roll or is there something i'm not paying attention to.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 09:59:40 am »

*coughs* Do, ah. Do you have weapon finesse? Because if not, you're using your strength score (13, so +1) instead of your dex (18, +4) for to-hit calculations. It'd make a difference. Can't recall if the dual wield feat you're talking about helps mitigate that penalty to using an offhand medium weapon, too -- you might try swapping the offhand rapier for a dagger or somethin'. Nix that, I just noticed you said you were offhanding the shortsword, which should be fine.

Beyond that, if that weapon description is entirely accurate, those are +0 weapons with a neat bonus -- basically they're not helping you hit things at all. And beyond that, I'm pretty sure I remember NWN having damage reduction, which may mean you're trying to hit things with them you very literally can't damage with those particular weapons. Though checking, the daze version for both is +1 -- still not helping that much, but more than nothing. Don't remember what enchantment level was normal for that part of the game, but I'm fairly sure a level 8 character should be at like +2 or 3 at a minimum, if my memory's not completely shot. Also probably want to keep an eye out for +dex items, as that'll help your accuracy if you get finesse (alternately continue getting strength up). Add on some basic buffing (Bless, cat's grace, etc.), and you should start hitting significantly more often.

Basically, if that half-orc is using a +3 or up weapon* and not dual-wielding, has high strength, and is a higher BAB progression class (fighter, whatev'), it's definitely going to be hitting (a lot) more than your rogue/assassin dual-wielding +1 weapons and pinging its to-hit off its low-ish strength instead of its high(er) dex.

*E: Ah, and can't forget any weapon specialization feats it may have. That can be a few more points of accuracy, iirc.

Also, I'm like sixty percent sure you can turn on more detailed roll information one way or another. If you can do that, it'd make it a lot easier to see what's going on.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:07:03 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 10:17:33 am »

For the weapons, forgot to mention but they have (+1) next to their names, so there should be a +1.

Your mention of Weapon Finesse made me look at my current feat list and ... it's NOT there , oops i was so sure i had it with the class that i never bothered to check when i was offered a new feat .

That's embarassing, good that i didn't let strength to stay at its default 8 when i spend point at character creation, the poor character would have never hit anything.

I know which feat i'll take once i level up, thanks for reminding me :D

I found an additional reason , i was misunderstanding the feat i took (Ambidextry) in order to lower the dual wield malus.
In fact Ambidextry only lower a bit the off-hand malus, it does nothing to lower the main hand malus :
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Dual-wield

So i was still having -6 , -6 instead of -6, -10, that was not really helping at all with my lack of weapon finesse, so i'll have to single wield until i get Weapon Finesse online.

Thanks for pointing this :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 10:23:18 am »

Eheh. Glad it helped, and yeah, it can be easy to overlook finesse on a rogue. Between some of the more common rogue inclined races having it naturally and it being as thematic as it is for the class forgetting you don't actually have it by default isn't terribly difficult. Can be hard to remember there's actually strength build rogues that neither want nor need the feat out there some days, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:59 am »

Now the rogue/assassin really shine in NWN with the stealth/sneak mechanics, it surprised me a bit.

On the chapter 1 end-castle the one filled with mage/priest skeletons and a few mummies, on some room a floor before the last, there were way too many of those guys for my (at the time as i wasn't aware i was crippling my character with no finesse and dual wield) incapable to hit anything character, i left my mercenary behind and simply stealth sneaked around all the monsters without any problems at all.

With the very high (i have items with +bonus , and dexterity helps there) Hide and Move Silently skills such character have it's like i'm a ghost as i don't even have to care about torche or light source, it's like Garrett is an amateur in comparison to NWN rogues stealth abilities :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:50:37 am by Robsoie »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 01:13:51 pm »

Axiom verge came out on steam recently and I gave it a try. Really enjoying it, it's pretty much metroid/super metroid with a different setting and some interesting mechanics. I really dig the art style, very solid. Controls are pretty good, but switching weapons is hard to do on the fly without pausing due to the large amount you can select from.

I am not the biggest fan of the music in general. It's not bad, but it has a certain harshness to it that I find irritating, hard to describe.

Very much recommend it overall.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2016, 07:58:28 am »

In neverwinter nights, taking Weapon Finesse for my Rogue/Assassin character indeed completely changed her being useless in hitting anything in combat to regularly sneak/death attacking everything in the back with good success while my mercenary was busy fighting head to head.
Too bad it is still the strength bonus/malus that influence damage, but finally hitting things is already great.

Wish i had noticed this feat wasn't coming by default, would have made some of the boss fights a lot more manageable instead of "mercs dead , time to teleport back to temple, heal and take mercs back, come back, fight until mercs is dead , teleport back to temple, etc..." boring sessions.

Now my problem is that i have too much items i have no idea if i have to keep them for some further quest or if i can sell them without a problem.

By example after playing for much more hours than i should have , i'm currently in Luskan and i collected the 2 heads and kept them for a long long while before finally searching on google what was their point, and noticing that instead of killing both guys i could just have got a quest from one to take and bring back their enemy head to the other.

The thought of that woman carrying 2 severed heads around a whole town while talking to everyone and reporting for quests done is hilarious "oh no that's that maniac woman, she came back to talk to me, must not point to the severed heads she's carrying in case she takes it badly"  :D

Looks like the merchants available do not want to buy those heads.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2016, 11:23:27 am »

Football Manager 15/16/17

If you like soccer/football then you will waste much of your life getting mad at the match engine in these games.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2016, 10:42:38 am »

I got another weird one: Tiger Knight: Empire War!.......WTF is this game?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/534500/

It's like....this strange combination of Mount and Blade, Dynasty Warriors and a little bit of Battlefield and War Thunder/World of Tanks. Srsly, its this Chinese made game that's in early beta and it plays alot like Mount/Blade and Dynasty Warriors where you get to lead a band of soldiers in a Battlefield/Dynasty Warriors style conquest map and it's strangely addicting. It's also Free-2-Play and it seems legit so far. It takes place during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms period but strangely/awesomely, you have the option of going Roman. Which I did, cuz Romans during that age were badass. The Roman troop tree isn't in yet, sadly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 10:44:22 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2016, 10:52:34 am »

Pretty sure there's actually a thread for that one.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2016, 10:55:34 am »

Ah, ok i found it. Still, fun game. Very beta as well.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 167