Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294435 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #630 on: January 17, 2020, 09:37:27 am »

Dead In Vinland, is the souped up sequel to Dead in Bermuda, that's actually somewhat more gamey.

Generally, they're turn-based survival games with a narrative ending where your limited squad has limited time to do things to keep themselves from dying a premature death. Put uncharitably, they're spreadsheet simulators where you're lurching from one stat on the edge of death to another, desperately hoping for a break.

For example, gathering water costs stamina, boiling water requires wood, harvesting wood costs stamina and mood, and both activities cost a character action that day... And spread that out across all potential options and stats.

DiV adds some Darkest Dungeon-ish combat (which I found to be a surprisingly intriguing element, despite being put off by it at first) and, I think, the ability to actually create a self-sufficient colony.

The latter bit is counteracted by how the main narrative element is that there's a warlord on the island that's extorting you. So, unfortunately, it plays very similarly to its predecessor DiB in that you're in a desperate race to solve the various puzzles and take advantage of what little the RNG sees fit to bless you with as you explore the island.

It seems like a promising expansion to the same formula and the character interactions are fun. And it's a fairly cheap and accessible title, being bundled a few times. (I evidently had it for years... Only found it digging through backlogged keys.)

One huge caveat though-- you can very easily end up in nigh unwinnable situations hours before you slide into your inevitable failure due to how the game is a giant drawn out battle of attrition. I ended up around day 90 before I threw in the towel on my first real attempt, unable to keep up with the penalties from failing to meet extortion requirements, largely from being a spendthrift with early resources and godawful build order.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 17, 2020, 03:24:14 pm »

I do hope they tweak some of the gameplay loop though... It can get incredibly tedious going through everything again with very little variation, when the keys to more variation are locked behind vast amounts of repetition and grinding.

I'm also curious how they're going to solve the endgame, especially considering... Well... They've already got voice lines recorded for how it ends *now*.

Cripes, the amount of time and energy (and money!) they must have spent on getting all the voice lines put in... I mean, I can't complain, it's as excellent as one would expect from Supergiant! It's just... damn.

they give you some tools to control the variation with the god trinkets, but if you aren't smart about Nectar use in the early game you can block yourself off from new stuff quite a bit. which, naturally, most people don't know. plus something like the fated list of minor prophecies is really important for speeding up the resource and unlock cycle, yet it doesn't seem like a big deal when you first unlock the renovations table.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 21, 2020, 06:38:26 pm »

An MMO Pokemon clone by the name of Temtem just appeared on Steam.

Anyone played it?
Initial reviews give high praise to visuals, music, and innovative combat. The only significant criticisms I've seen are with network issues, which are expected for an MMO launch.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 30, 2020, 01:38:32 pm »

I hear Blizzard remade Warcraft 3, and also that fans are...unhappy with it.

The only specifics I heard were stolen fan-made maps, and being unplayably buggy for many people.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 30, 2020, 01:49:33 pm »

An MMO Pokemon clone by the name of Temtem just appeared on Steam.

Anyone played it?
Initial reviews give high praise to visuals, music, and innovative combat. The only significant criticisms I've seen are with network issues, which are expected for an MMO launch.

The salt from a certain type of gamer is delicious. Some people are up in arms and review bombing over the mere presence of a pronoun chooser.

The game looks neat and the devs seem pretty cool for not backing down. They also blasted out a minor discount coupon. I'd give it a go if I weren't already mired in a bunch of games.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 30, 2020, 01:51:55 pm »

I hear Blizzard remade Warcraft 3, and also that fans are...unhappy with it.

The only specifics I heard were stolen fan-made maps, and being unplayably buggy for many people.

I bought it blindly on 1/28 being a fanboi.  I <3 Blizzard. 
Played Prologue Horde mission, it went ok.  But the same UI size. I can't zoom out to see more of the map.  What kind of remake is this keeping circa 2000 UI? 
Finished Prologue, ok cool, keep going. 

Started main campaign, Humans.  Defeat after loading.  Repeated several times, same shit. wtf? 

Ok try 1v1 match up. Was on queue for 5+ minutes, gave up. 

Ok try custom maps.  It downloaded some TD.  But that was it, error.   
Tried Dota map, error also.  Wtf? 

Then, I started going to reddit to see what's up.  Shit. 

Custom map making is a crappy experience.  And, now all your custom maps are not now Blizzard owned.  And you can no longer use other proprietary images (pokemon, anime, etc). 

Oh, and those who have been playing Classic all the past ~20 years, are forced to download the reforge client even when they did not want to buy Reforge. 
Reforge has no LAN menu.  And you are not now required to login to Bnet to play your solo offline game in Classic.  W T F?

1.29.20 I asked for a refund. 
Denied. I played too length of time. W T F! 
I appealed basically saying that I did not get to play 1v1, or custom maps.  If I don't get a refund, I will just charge back.  Let them take issue with Amex lawyers.

edit typos;  I can't find my original War3 CDs, but I did find War3 Frozen Throne (referred to as DLC nowadays).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:56:19 pm by Sanctume »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #636 on: January 30, 2020, 05:10:02 pm »

Yeah, never buy blindly and never preorder. Big companies do not deserve your blind loyalty, wait for a few reviews.

Blizzard is in a big stink again, apparently violating refund laws of several countries as well as falsely advertising or misrepresenting the final quality of the remake.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 30, 2020, 08:35:09 pm »

Yeah... I'unno, I've currently been waiting like. Three days. For whatever they did to the TFT update to finish downloading. Idle check suggests it's whatever the fuck has dumped like ten gigs into the data files, which holy shit I did not ask for give some goddamn warning update box.

Got less than zero interest in reforged, anyway. The only thing that possibly could entice me would be an engine overhaul (that was substantial... and backwards compatible), and that doesn't actually seem to be in the works if crossplay between TFT and reforged is on still on the table.

... all that said, most of the wc3 vids I've seen lately (been on a bit of a custom game watching spree) that used reforged looked... okay. Not, like, amazing or anything, and overall less... I'unno, soulful? Colorful? Distinct? It's new-style mobile adjacent art stuff, which isn't super appealing to me, and as I've watched some one say, the models basically bully the hell out of the rest of the game. But it seems a'ight when it's working.

This surprise decagig thing is pretty horseshit, tho'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:44 pm »

Yeah... I'unno, I've currently been waiting like. Three days. For whatever they did to the TFT update to finish downloading. Idle check suggests it's whatever the fuck has dumped like ten gigs into the data files, which holy shit I did not ask for give some goddamn warning update box.

Got less than zero interest in reforged, anyway. The only thing that possibly could entice me would be an engine overhaul (that was substantial... and backwards compatible), and that doesn't actually seem to be in the works if crossplay between TFT and reforged is on still on the table.

... all that said, most of the wc3 vids I've seen lately (been on a bit of a custom game watching spree) that used reforged looked... okay. Not, like, amazing or anything, and overall less... I'unno, soulful? Colorful? Distinct? It's new-style mobile adjacent art stuff, which isn't super appealing to me, and as I've watched some one say, the models basically bully the hell out of the rest of the game. But it seems a'ight when it's working.

This surprise decagig thing is pretty horseshit, tho'.

From a third party source, but listed as recommended specs:
Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.3GHz / AMD Duron 2.0GHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon 7000 64mb or NVIDIA GeForce 7100
System Memory: 256 MB RAM
Storage: 550 MB Hard drive space

I like how the new system requirements for TFT has evidently grown by 20x. ._.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 30, 2020, 09:01:36 pm »

ha ha ha did I say ten I just checked again and somehow it has fucking doubled

My wc3 folder, which has none of the custom maps in it, is currently 21.8 gigs in size. And the update still isn't finished.

what the hell did they do and how did they come to the conclusion it was a good idea

E: hey update finally fini- what the hell is this passive 1.5 gig ram leech login bullshit holy goddamn hell

Yeah, okay, I can see why people might be pissed about this. This, ladies and gents, is how you fuck up backwards compatibility, bloody hell. I just wanted a round of friggin' youtd and now there's a mountain of system resource sucking horseshit between me and it goddamn :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:27:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 31, 2020, 02:03:02 am »

Sooooo... Does that mean it's done updating? How large did it end up?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 31, 2020, 06:14:29 am »

21.8 gigs, still. For whatever reason the last 5% of the update process didn't increase the size of the main folder. Just now occurred to me it might have increased things somewhere else, though...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 06:16:06 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 03, 2020, 09:21:29 pm »

Does anyone know anything about The Pedestrian?

It looks like a platformer where you can move parts of the game around to solve puzzles. It looks interesting, but I have no idea about how difficult or long it might be.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 04, 2020, 08:02:19 am »

Recently picked up Nova Drift. Early access twin stick shooter with a pretty neat upgrade/leveling system akin to a roguelite where you keep stacking various mods and buffs on top of each other to get some stupidly powerful builds, while having a meta progress that unlocks different stuff like more rerolls of offered mods on level up, different mod trees, new weapons or ships, game modes, etc.

The graphics are simple and effective and the gameplay is smooth and fairly polished, seems the only thing they're adding now is more stuff like game modes and mod/weapon/ship choices. It's fairly cheap and a good pickup if you're craving some twin stick shmup action. Runs don't take long for the most part and it can be played in short bursts.

Following up on this: The Asteroids-style controls aren't nearly as annoying as I recall them to be in Asteroids. Messing about with mod combinations is fun.

Runs can get fairly sizeable if you're getting good-- my last few games have taken upwards of 30 minutes, courtesy of messing with really powerful combinations out there. (Halo shield and drones...)

The progression system is kind of stupid though. Usually, things are unlocked via achievements or some kind of score-alogue that provides advancement by massive leaps once you've shown you've got a really good grasp of the content... this still proceeds at a fairly glacial pace. And, considering what you're unlocking are pieces of a build, rather than base improvements or whatnot, it's kind of irksome. At my current pace, assuming it doesn't take any longer for the last 25 or so ranks, it'll be another 10 hours.

(Edit: Oh, and at least it's easy to edit your rank in your save so your stuff gets unlocked. Seems to have no ill effect.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:50:10 am by Aoi »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 06, 2020, 09:51:40 am »

Yall remember Tremors, or were you not born yet?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 167