Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294694 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #720 on: April 05, 2020, 10:16:53 am »

Noticed "Songs of Syx"
https://songsofsyx.itch.io/songs-of-syx

It's a free real time city builder/colony management game.

Quickly tried it but as i had no real idea on what i was doing i just managed to setup a hunter station that 2 guys populated and started to roam around, got a field going and completed a rather big wooden house that i was trying to populate with some industry but had "lack of worker" messages apparently preventing me to do so despite there was a bunch of people available. Yeah will have to read a bit more about the gameplay :D

But from my quick test it looks it has a strong potential (and despite it has already lot of content it is still under developement) with some interesting element, it also surprised me how smooth constantly it run despite the rather huge size of the world and real time activity everywhere ( you can zoom in/out everywhere at anytime) , just incredible .

Along the normal game in which you start from scratch, there are some pre-made scenario so you can test a humongous large battles with squads management etc... (you can even make formation) that is very smooth (i wish DF was -that- smooth when i get a siege) despite all the blood particles covering the land and the thousands of soldiers ducking it out, premade cities etc...

All in all it's got such a potential to greatness
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:20:16 am by Robsoie »

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 06, 2020, 02:38:35 am »

I've really fallen in love with Spellcaster University.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/895620/Spellcaster_University/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the core it's a school management game + 'choose 1 of 3 presented cards' strategy game, but with two unique(?) excellent twists.
1) You have a limited time on each 'map', as the evil one will eventually force you to flee. So there is time enough to build and enjoy a good school of magic, but it never gets boring or into a 'steady state'.
2) Depending on their education students will get a random (but 1 time rerollable) future. This will either give you a nice one time bonus, or a small permanent bonus (also into the next maps). These permanent bonuses looks laughable small at like 1% increased efficiency of a given room type, ... but educate 20-50-100 of such students, and you can have a solid strategy running.

IMHO there is also a political message here (intentional or not): Education matters! When you look at the price of the full school system, and what impact a single educated citizen has, then it looks expensive, but look at the impact of an entire well educated workforce (compared to the alternative), and no price is to high. ;-)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #722 on: April 08, 2020, 01:53:10 pm »

All in all it's got such a potential to greatness
Its got such good potential (and current progress) that it's the first game I've backed since the first Divinity:Original Sin.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 08, 2020, 04:51:29 pm »

I wouldn't be so lazy at maintaining a thread i would have created one just for this "Songs of Syx" game because it really deserves a lot more attention than in this one.

Anyways, i didn't think invaders were already implemented, as i was ready to let this prototype demo go as i had built mostly everything and so nothing interesting would happen anymore i guessed i saw everything this prototype was showcasing with my small town that was by now self sufficient

But oh wow i guessed wrong.

Having no idea what it really meant in the gameplay, i decided to start buildings wooden walls all around my small developping town, as i had tons of people it didn't took much time

Just in time apparently as
Let's say i wasn't willing to any agreements, let them come and know pain !

Hmm, a troop of enemies, i expected more of them, but as it's the 1st invasion the game probably does not go all in (as the battle scenario you can load as an example show a vastly more big amount of troops) .

Anyways, i deployed my able troops, at that point 3 squads, one not being full , but anyways it looked like we have the numbers for us.
Fun battle system as it's basically using the Total War/Cossacks rts way of setting up formation with the mouse, super intuitive and tactically great.

The battle started once the enemy troopers reached our position, i ordered the attack to my soldiers that then charged the advancing enemies and it was a bloodbath

That ended in lots of dead and routed enemies in the coming night, it was a victory

Probably coming back with more sometime soon.

Similarly to DF, you have your citizen coming to gather your lost soldiers and lead them into the graveyards
At least they died fighting, not from famine or angry animals like most of my town losses.

Amazing game and very good background music/song too

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 15, 2020, 06:20:06 am »

One Step From Eden is kind of weird... the action plays like a versus bullet hell on a 4x4 grid with flavors of StS with how your skills are drawn and on the map. It seems to run from being surprisingly complicated to faceroll the keyboard depending on the situation though, I really can't figure out what to make of it other than "intriguing". Recognizing and reacting to fast patterns is not my strong suit.

Ancient Enemy: Ever want to play golf(solitaire) the RPG? Neither did I.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 15, 2020, 06:32:40 am »

amazing gameplay summary

yeah ok, im convinced. downloading now.

im down for a thread being created for this but its a small enough game that i think a general DF likes thread may be more efficient

anywho, im looking forward to trying it after im done with work this morning.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 15, 2020, 06:51:18 am »

One Step From Eden is kind of weird... the action plays like a versus bullet hell on a 4x4 grid with flavors of StS with how your skills are drawn and on the map.
It's Megaman Battle Network, the roguelite deckbuilding bullet hell. More or less. Seems pretty neat, but if I ever actually get it I'll be using cheat engine to slow the bugger down 'cause damn.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 15, 2020, 07:45:58 am »

After having played, were you right or wrong?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 15, 2020, 08:54:21 am »

New game menu based on Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress patch notes.
Growable plants can now be stacked on top of each other to create infinite levels. The higher the stack the more levels there. Level ups are like any other: you win by growing more than the competition, spread out among their farms. You lose when their cows run out of milk.

So, what I'm getting here is that this a farming game set on a giant beanstalk, where your plants have to infiltrate your enemies farm.
In addition while doing so, you need to feed your enemies cows so they can make more milk, if you don't you lose.
"Killer whale's race is no longer a migrant, sub-arrival diplomat race. As such, it can only trade with itself"

Honestly, I feel like this is definitely deserving of its own thread.

In other news, someone else is trying to do Black & White again. It's a bold strategy, Cotton... Let's see if it pays off for them!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 15, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »

In other news, someone else is trying to do Black & White again. It's a bold strategy, Cotton... Let's see if it pays off for them!

The best part of that game was finding your roommate/sibling's save, and training their monster to eat peasants and smash things. Otherwise it's just a slow 3-d Populous. I guess a remake does have some design space available to improve the game. It's a game everyone wanted to like, but just didn't quite get there.

Edit: I came here originally to post about Roll Players, a dice game that you can also find electronically. Your goal is to create a hero with the best stats and equipment. Each round, you pick one of the dice that is available (# players +1) in turn order, and add it to your (very much D&D) stat sheet. You also get to modify one of your existing dice based on which stat you added a die to (con is +1 or -1 to any die, dex is switch 2 dice's locations, strength is flip one die over: 1/6, 2/5, 3/4, etc.). Then you may buy one piece of equipment, skill, or trait with your money (there are a few ways to gain money). It's not a bad game, but the amount of enjoyment I got out of it wasn't quite high enough for the amount of time it takes to play. It's a good game, but not a very good game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:18:58 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 15, 2020, 03:49:51 pm »

The best part of that game was finding your roommate/sibling's save, and training their monster to eat peasants and smash things. Otherwise it's just a slow 3-d Populous. I guess a remake does have some design space available to improve the game. It's a game everyone wanted to like, but just didn't quite get there.

I still remember the first time I played that-- I had an absolute brutal time of it. I got all the way to the last island to the spoiler mpment and... was utterly confused as to what was going on, and got softlocked...

Because my creature nope'd out and decided not to follow my rule on the way out of the tutorial island. Yep: My game bugged out and my creature basically didn't exist, so I played the entire game with no creature.

After having played, were you right or wrong?

Well. If you find Golf to be a thoroughly engrossing game and would like a tactical layer, it might do it. Personally, I'd rather stare at an idle game though. (That blurb was more of a tacked on "Ugh." to the actual blurb for One Step From Eden, which is actually pretty good, if impenetrable. It reminds me of Crypt of the Necrodancer in badfrustrating ways, because I know there's something there, but I couldn't hold a beat if you gave me a basket of them... then the panic sets in and everything gets even worse.)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 15, 2020, 06:17:55 pm »

yeah ok, im convinced. downloading now.

im down for a thread being created for this but its a small enough game that i think a general DF likes thread may be more efficient

anywho, im looking forward to trying it after im done with work this morning.
Yeah, it's really good, once you finally get how to build things, as i must say it puzzled me a bit at first.
Probably didn't read the tutorial correctly when i started.

Looks like i must have reached another milestone with my city because the bandits came back.
Probably to see my town progressing as i expanded a bit

And they were back with a lot more warriors, they came from a different direction , north from the map this time

There was my first mistake : underestimating the distance (as in fact the north border of the map was closer to my town than the south) , so i took some time before deciding to organise my troops (i had 1 more regiment than before as i had more population since last time, giving me a bit too much confidence in doing something else first).
My second mistake was to trust the pathfinding as the first battle i had earlier had no movement trouble but we'll get back to it later in this post

Then when i finally ordered my troops to exit the town and go into the farms outside of the cities, it was a bit too late as by the time i managed to remember how to use those order buttons, the enemy had already started to murder the peasants while only few town oldiers had already taken their position and were waiting for those lazy other ones to join their formations.

The few soldiers on spot finally accepted my desesperate attempts at ordering them to attack, it was rather hopeless as they were outnumbered, but they bravely went to their death in the farms fields
At that point i started to think there was probably some pathfinding problems at it seems most of my troopers took an oddly very long time to reach the position i assigned to them only a few troopers of each regiments were showing up in time.

More of my troops were joining progressively the farm fields, only to be massacred by the numerous raiders that were outnumbering them (as half the regiments weren't even close to arrive here).
Due to this apparent pathfinding trouble i decided to re-assign position to the survivors, this time behind our wooden walls so at least they would probably have more time to get on their formation without being distracted by something.

At the town entrance that at some point apparently broke (as there was broken wooden walls around) the battle was now raging between all my army that was waiting there and the enemies that was rushing in.
Lots of blood and bodies were littered on the ground and the enemy horde prevailed

While the battles at the gate was raging, there was another enemy regiment that had managed to invade my town unopposed by coming from the northern wall, nice to see the AI capable of dividing its troops.

Noticed a very old soldier that fell that night :

Poor guy, managed to survive that long to the various famines (didn't took seriously enough how much people will progressively populate your city) that killed so much, survived the many angry animals roaming around, survived the first war but finally met his end in this carnage.

The pathfinding problem was also confirmed when my troops have felt and the wall wasn't defended anymore, the enemy regiments had a lot of trouble to move , they moved a bit through the walls entrance, then went back outside to a formation (line or squared half of their time), moved again a bit through the entrance, etc...
The northern raiders after moving inside with no trouble were afflicted near the center of my city by the same bizarre problems.

I wonder if the walls are puzzling the AI of both your soldiers and your enemies, as in the first battles there was no wall and no movement bug.
Anyways, even despite the slight annoyances, that battle was ton of fun to play as there was a lot more warriors involved, though probably less fun for my town citizens as we lost nearly 200 people in that (near half of my town)

At least the good thing is that with the half of the city folks being dead those 50% of my stocks will probably not hurt too bad, well hopefully they still have enough food.
Though i'll have to manage a lot of the cities job, disabling lot of shops and industry to be able to fill all the very important jobs first (like the food ones)

For those wanting to try there's a beginner guide/tutorial :
https://songsofsyx.itch.io/songs-of-syx/devlog/121752/a-beginners-guidetutorial
(it is also available in several languages)

It has some excellent music, the artist youtube channel if you're interested :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8njs8YnJYHrzpeVTxHWGnw

From a quick google it looks like their kickstarter is still ongoing , if someone can afford and is interested to support them there's still time :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/songsofsyx/songs-of-syx
Too bad for them kickstarting their game that we're in those pandemic times, i'm sure they would have got more founding in a normal situation.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 16, 2020, 07:16:50 am »

New game menu based on Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress patch notes.

I can actually picture this being a fascinating feature for some games: Creatures from an old save will be in an new biome.
In other news, half the caravan has died of botulism...: Cooked food now has the proper temperature range.
I feel like this was an actual patch note, not a generated one: Wild berry plants grow faster and yield much more fruit.
Well, that's practical: When something goes wrong, you can now choose to alert police or fire departments.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:09 am »

It's a game everyone wanted to like, but just didn't quite get there.
Shush your the face. It was a buggy, unpredictable mess, but it was a beautiful buggy, unpredictable mess with some extraordinary ways you could mess it up even more.

Meteor pits. Using necromancy to populate skeleton villages. Chemical warfare. Artifact-boosted megawonders and the world-shattering horrors they brought with them. The frankly terrifying complexity and impressionability of the Creature AI.

BnW2 kinda shat itself in the foot by lobotomizing said Creatures and streamlining some of the mechanics... Yes, there were definitely some good ideas there, but it lost a fair bit of soul at the same time.

Noticed a very old soldier that fell that night
Well, since the ingame wiki claims that Dondorians can live for hundreds of years, 70 is probably not that elderly in comparison... If that age cap has actually been implemented at all yet, of course.

Also this definitely should have its own thread, if only to tell people about resizing furnishings and what the footprints actually mean for placement. Also what the difference is between feast halls and taverns, and what you need for any of that to function.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 17, 2020, 03:47:20 am »

Doesn't the pixels hurt your eyeminds?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 167