Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283827 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #795 on: May 21, 2020, 08:44:44 pm »

For some reason, the Amazon MOBA is all over Twitch, Amazon's youtube.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 22, 2020, 02:58:50 pm »

Monster Train... Slay the Spire with... I guess you could call it an extended wave mechanic? I like it... but man, does it have some annoying things.

I just finished my second run and preliminary impressions...

Like the last nth ramble on games of this genre, everything's being compared against StS except when explicitly stated.

So two fundamental differences: You're summoning units that take their actions during the inter-turn phase, and there's 3+1 layers on the battlefield. Each layer has a finite amount of slots for units (both your side and their side), and enemy units will move up a layer after combat is resolved for the turn. If they reach the fourth (+1) layer, you take damage and counter with a heavy hit. After you summon/cast spells, your enemies do their thing, your guys do their thing, the boss (if there is one) does its thing, and new hostiles move in from the first floor.

It feels kind of slow in retrospect. But I'm also accustomed to like 15 minute Heart runs on StS, so it's probably that I'm just used to faster play. Edit: Probably should, ya know, actually look at the settings panel sometime. What I get for not sleeping...

Both runs used very different strategies, owing to different primary/secondary decks. I actually expected to fail my second run quite handily and... instead stomped the boss. (And almost lost to the second boss.)

RNG feels 'weaker' in this game, with more choices in terms of upgrades. Also, your card pool is more limited, due to the primary/secondary clan system which reduces the number of lousy cards you can possibly get. Battles alternate with a dedicated set of bonuses, of which you have to choose from the two sets presented. (Do you want a magic vendor, free trinket, and gold, or hp, unit vendor and free card removal? etc.)

My main issue up front would be... I fought the same final boss on both runs. For some reason, the first time, the boss had about double what it had the second time, for no discernable reason.

Update: So spending some more time with this... one of the major mechanics is coming across as awful. At the "end" of a stage, a (mini)boss pops out and proceeds to lay the beatdown on everybody with autoplayed turns. The practical consideration here is that their side acts, your side acts, end of turn effects proc, repeat. You never have a chance to use your hand again until one side on that floor dies. Oh, you play a spell deck instead of a creature deck? Screw you. But this is an inherent game mechanic so you can pretty much ignore going all-in on an entire set of mechanics.

There's another really stupid mechanic combo that's basically one-step away from an auto-loss: One artifact autosummons a bunch of your units to the second floor for free at the start of combat. Sure, why not-- in return for free summons, you lose the advantage of tactical positioning and maybe the use of your first floor. Oh look-- that miniboss has the Haste passive. Which means it goes from floor 1->3 directly. And because you don't know what combats you'll encounter, you can't work around this one short of not taking that artifact at all.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:30:15 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 22, 2020, 03:14:11 pm »

Yeah, played the open beta a bit, been watching plenty of vids of it. Definitely hella' solid deckbuilder. Probably going to wait a while before really considering getting it, though... especially want to wait until I hear about a solid yes/no on modding.

Speed wise, it looks like an average victory runs about 60-90 minutes, but I've also seen runs as short as 30, so you can do a pretty fast run if you get the right stuff together. Fast ones definitely don't seem to be consistent, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 23, 2020, 07:07:51 pm »

Twenty years ago today, Daikatana was released.

Suck it down.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 25, 2020, 01:15:43 pm »

I'll just ask here. But how are the age of fear games? They have a bundle of all of the current ones (there is going to be an age of fear 4 it looks like) for really cheap. But I have no idea how the games are. Is it worth getting if I liked battle brothers? Is the AoF a good series? or should I skip?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 25, 2020, 01:20:10 pm »

I'll just ask here. But how are the age of fear games? They have a bundle of all of the current ones (there is going to be an age of fear 4 it looks like) for really cheap. But I have no idea how the games are. Is it worth getting if I liked battle brothers? Is the AoF a good series? or should I skip?
The paranoid schizophrenic Georgian (country, not state) fellow on my Steam friends list seems to really enjoy them, so...

Um...

I legitimately don't know what to tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 25, 2020, 01:46:04 pm »

They're pretty okay. Not sure I'd call them great, and what I've played is kinda' same-y, but they seem to be consistently decent games. About in the same conceptual space as the Spiderweb games (Avernum, geneforge, etc.), except with much less of a story/writing focus and more a "tabletop wargame" vibe instead of crpg. They're a'ight, probably worth if they're going cheap.

Pretty sure there's gameplay vids online, so if you're interested maybe sit down and scope a few, see if it looks like the kind of thing you'd enjoy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:47:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 25, 2020, 02:26:18 pm »

So there's apparently yet another "dig stuff and automate things to make money" game out, called Hydroneer. Currently going for, what, about $8 on Steam it looks like?

I offer this video of gameplay

ivanovic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 25, 2020, 08:59:43 pm »

So there's apparently yet another "dig stuff and automate things to make money" game out, called Hydroneer. Currently going for, what, about $8 on Steam it looks like?

I offer this video of gameplay

Lol... I feel a bit sad for the developers.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 25, 2020, 09:56:33 pm »

That gameplay video was hilarious.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 25, 2020, 11:24:27 pm »

A lot of the videos from that guy involve him breaking the game in horrible (and often hilarious) ways.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 26, 2020, 01:03:22 am »

I mean, the game looks pretty fun. But the way the guy broke it made me decide not to get it lol. Though I think it was more for humor than making the game look bad

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 26, 2020, 06:36:22 am »

I've been playing it. It's not too bad, but there are bugs, especially physics bugs. As demonstrated by that video, trying to dump a bucket of ore into the smelting pot doesn't work very well. Also, the core mechanic of being able to carry only one thing at a time is annoying at times. That shoplifting thing doesn't work anymore, since items now glue themselves to the ground(or bucket or truck bed), which is a good thing since your stuff no longer yeets when you walk over it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 26, 2020, 08:43:04 am »

Out of curiosity, is there anything preventng the player from funneling the ore directly into the crucible?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 26, 2020, 09:37:25 am »

With an actual funnel piece? Not at all save for not placing the crucible in just the right spot under it. I haven't actually tested, but the exit hole of the funnel looks just about as wide as the opening of the crucible... which I'll admit doesn't make it a very good funnel since that's not much more narrower than the entry side and still far wider than a bucket. Might want to use slanted roof pieces or some other form of ramp to make sure it all gets into the funnel.

That said, I don't recommend mixing iron and gold. Last time I did that, it just resulted in a gold bar, and I don't know if the iron was deleted or the value of the iron was added to the bar.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 166