Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294287 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #990 on: December 02, 2020, 07:03:07 am »

Noticed today ModDB is calling for votes for their Mod of the Year 2020 awards.
If you have a mod you really enjoyed this year, it's a good way to say thanks to it.

Personnally voted for Call of the Zone (a standalone fork of Call of Chernobyl) as it gave me so many hours of playtime this year.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 03, 2020, 10:46:25 am »

Mindustry had a pretty sizable update the other day. Campaign was revamped; instead of unlocking a list of maps with "survive x many waves before your next chance to leave", you're conquering a planet, each sector is "survive x many waves and you win the sector". The old, named maps are there, and are unlocked in sequence as you beat each named map. In between each of the named maps(which are scattered around) are numbered sectors that are(supposedly) randomly generated when you first land on them.

The tech tree and global resources are changed a bit. Some techs require beating some of the named maps as a prerequisite. Global resources... sort of aren't anymore. Every map is persistent after you've beaten them - you can even go back and change your production setup - and continues to produce resources there until the core is full(the beginning core, the Shard, has a limit of 4,000 of each item), and the resources of all your existing bases(including the one you're on) can be used towards research unlocks. However, when launching to a new map, only the resources from the adjacent tile you're launching from can be used, and it requires a minimum of a few thousand copper and lead to build the next map's core plus whatever extra you want to bring to jumpstart that base.

For maps already started, the old version's Launcher building is supposed to be able to move resources between maps. Useful, for example to bring resources to earlier maps where some resources don't exist - for example, upgrading a Shard core to a Foundation requires silicon, which you cannot produce on the very first map(Ground Zero) since coal doesn't exist there(you can get sand from scrap). I haven't unlocked Launchers yet though, so I don't know for sure if that would work. I did reset all my progress for the new campaign system.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #992 on: December 03, 2020, 12:55:59 pm »

Good to know! :)
I got into it for awhile as a factorio-lite, but my interest kind of fizzled out when there wasn't much more to it than "get to the next level that is almost functionally identical" after the first few maps.
Sounds like there's a lot more substance and should go back towards the top of my "I'm bored but don't want to commit a few hours to a game" list.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 04, 2020, 05:06:17 am »

I gave a try to the new Mindustry and the new campaign setup looks much better than the old "choose and unlock maps" , more polished
Tested from scratch (reseted the tech tree) to see how it goes and the map are the same as the old ones, except the first one i played is very dark (much darker than in my memories) and there's some light area around your builder and the factories, maybe they're going for some day/night cycles.

Personnally i prefered a lot more the always clear maps, they were much easier on the eyes (and the sand winds effects in one of the random maps i explored on the first planet is just a horrible visual annoyance).

I unlocked a few stuff while playing (the router isn't unlocked on the start, i was wondering why my network wasn't filling all my guns, and understood that it was not the router i was using but the junction, it's where i noticed i had to unlock it during gameplay)

Once i reached wave10 i didn't had the possibility to launch, there was a "sector captured" message instead, i then had to go to the world map and choose a new sector, overall the revamped campaign system has a much nicer nice presentation.

Other than that, i have not noticed gameplay differences so far.
So overall there's a better campaign presentation and cool exploration of sector maps feature, but the new graphic effects from version 6.0 are so super annoying for me (even more than they can't be turned off) that i went back to the previous version i had without those effects. Too bad the new campaign system was interesting, but not enough for crippling my eyes.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:11:22 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 08, 2020, 11:19:00 pm »

After hearing that Mario Lopez is going to be young Colonel Sanders, I found this disturbing little thing while trying to find more info about the former (and yes, it's a legit Steam link):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry, but misery loves company...

Edit: So how is it? Uh... it's not the worst VN I've seen. Considering that your expectations going in should be downright minimal, it's not entirely awful. And thankfully short. Also, I think you're supposed to be female.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 03:45:04 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 09, 2020, 03:31:30 am »

I've heard of that before, but is it finger licking good?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 09, 2020, 12:01:10 pm »

It's in the title. It has to be. A video game crossover from a massive faceless corporation wouldn't lie.

I Love You, Colonel Sanders! A Finger Lickin’ Good Dating Simulator

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 10, 2020, 01:32:18 am »

There's a jojo in there.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 10, 2020, 05:17:22 am »

Huh ?

Is that what happens when someone use a random game idea generator like this one, and disable the "sanity" option.
https://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen
And then decide to actually program such thing ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 10, 2020, 02:24:29 pm »

Huh ?
Delph's talking the guy with the star pompador in the KFC dating sim, pretty sure. Character design is pretty reminiscent of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 10, 2020, 02:35:43 pm »

My "huh ?" was actually directed at that bizarre "licking fingers of the KFC guy" game concept

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 10, 2020, 03:34:31 pm »

My "huh ?" was actually directed at that bizarre "licking fingers of the KFC guy" game concept

Far as I can tell, it is KFC sponsored, and the title isn't... too strange, given that 'Finger Lickin' Good' is also their slogan. It's still not worth going through, unless you want to kill 20 minutes in a fit of curiosity.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 11, 2020, 04:39:58 am »

Their slogan completely escaped me , no wonder i was puzzled by what the hell this was all about lol :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:48:10 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 14, 2020, 08:57:51 am »

If you have the game "Witcher 2" , give a try to the huge mod "Farewell to the White Wolf"
https://www.moddb.com/mods/farewell-of-the-white-wolf

While it's not canon as it the story of the mod serves as a conclusion of the 3 Witcher games stories (that aren't canon themselves), it's an incredible piece of what could easily be a professional level of DLC work, the dialogues and interactions between characters are frankly very good (at least in my language, no idea if in english they are but i can't imagine this level of polished dialogue would be bad in any language) and fits each of the characters (some that to my surprise came from the books, while most as expected came from the games).

It is much more linear than any of the Witcher games unfortunately as the area are relatively small and there's not much to do other than talking to the character or two the game wants you to talk to at every point of the game, and there aren't much in term of gameplay or exploration as there's no multiple ways to go from A to B, as the focus is really on the story , dialogues and characterization (unlike what you would think from watching the trailer of the mod), that are top notch in that mod at least up to the point i am currently.
There are a few fights to have, one of them surprised me a bit as it was a huge difficulty spike considering the super easy ones there was before (you'll know it when you'll start drinking).

But if you like the Witcher universe, it's completely worth a play as you meet so much of the characters you learned about in the books and in the games, sometime switching from a character to another when they tell something about their story or their pasts, it's very well done.

In the beginning i ran into a few "invisible walls" problems when Geralt and went to hunt for the feast, as despite there are large snowy area the devs didn't thought about blocking the outside of the paths they want you to walk visually. Fortunately in further part of the mod and in other areas i didn't noticed such troubles.

The only low point is that there is no voice acting to act on those superb dialogues, but it's understandable they couldn't just hire the excellent voices actors of the games, but man i miss them :D

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 15, 2020, 12:58:41 pm »

Magical girls rebuild a cat cafe. I will probably be getting it soon.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 167