Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283891 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2017, 03:43:25 pm »

Anyone playing Orcish Inn?

There is a downlodable demo off Steam, and it has potential. 

I mean, I already spent 4 hours playing around this demo, and it's pretty entertaining learning the basic and following the tutorial quests.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2017, 11:30:23 am »

I've been playing through all 3 Mass Effect games, and I think I finally know why I tend to disagree with the large amount of people that say Mass Effect 3 has an awful ending.

It's because I see Mass Effect 3 the ending of the series. The whole game serves as a conclusion to the arcs and stories of the prior two games. Tuchanka and the Krogan, Mordin, and more. Reoccurring characters' plots finally coke into fruition, and you just get to witness the conclusions to many different plots.
And it's all done quite well. Yes, the actual ending does falter, but that's only a small part of the actual ending - Mass Effect 3. The fact that I feel the gameplay is better in each subsequent Mass Effect helps, too.

I'm also hyped for Mass Effect Andromeda. I was considering making a tgreed for it, but I don't think many people on the forums see Mass Effect too favorably.

EDIT: Oh, and I also realized that Mass Effect 1 uncharted missions are essentially just No Man's Sky, complete with the boring.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:34:15 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »

L... last I noticed general opinion on mass effect seems pretty positive. Arguably less so for three and maybe the producing company, but I haven't seen terribly much negative opinion for the first two. You'd probably be fine making a thread, just specify in the OP the discussion isn't about anything involving ME3.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2017, 08:52:51 pm »

It does feel like people have a slightly negative opinion on Andromeda. Not that that's specifically by itself bad enough to deter me. Besides, ideally the thread would be for either Andromeda or the entire series including ME3, and even if it was just for Andromeda, people neonivek would still find a way to hate on ME3.
Not that their opinions aren't allowed. It's just that at the moment I don't want to deal with it. I may still make a thread if no one else does at some point, though.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2017, 05:17:53 pm »

In case you guys ever wanted to play Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, but couldn't get it anywhere: it is finally on gog.com!

YYAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY!!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2017, 09:08:10 pm »

Ashes of the Singularity. In short it's a mashup of Supreme Commander and DoW. It's an attempt, a decent one, but aside from a solid mechanical base with some neat things they've done it's a rather barebones expirience with two kinda similar factions and about a dozen kinda similar units on each side. Also the campaign is so bog standard RTS that it's kinda insulting, like a paint-by-numbers kind of deal where they check off stuff that an RTS campaign needs to have with zero effort put into creating anything approaching memorable.

It reminds me of Grey Goo in a way, and Act of Aggression. Attempts at reviving the genre somewhat, all good attempts but none of them able to capture my attention like any of the old school giants, and I still can't figure out the exact thing they're missing. I guess it's an uncanny valley sort of deal, it's oh so close to being great and fun and able to keep me playing for years but it falls short in some way that just makes it all the more dissappointing and depressing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2017, 01:47:11 am »

Anyone play the Football Manager series?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2017, 12:50:11 pm »

Currently addicted to Star Wars Force Arena.

Fun MOBA with clash of clans style unit deployment.

The microtransactions and timegates suck, but the gameplays fun.

Also playing Mount and Blade warband with various mods. Currently in Prophesy of Pendor.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2017, 01:08:47 pm »

Didn't noticed before, but there's a new Fire Pro Wrestling coming and this time, along the usual console stuff there's finally a PC release for it.
http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

Though it's steam only unfortunately, but i guess with their business plan (release an early work in progress build then patch it until completion) , it makes some sense for them to go with the steam early access stuff.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 05:23:24 pm »

Dungeon Defenders 2 (PC, PS4)

I've mentioned this game before, but the recent Trials patch mixed things up so I feel it deserves another mention. There's now a very satisfying endgame grind, with lots of powerful shards to collect and upgrade, and several new enemies with unique abilities to overcome. And being able to customize heroes to simultaneously build towers and also fight enemies is much more fun than how it was before. I've put a lot of hours into DD2 since this patch, and definitely recommend it for anyone interested in a tower-defense/ARPG hybrid.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)

This game is basically the spiritual sequel to Elder Scrolls. I can't find any direct link between the developers...but the GUI is almost a carbon-copy, and many of the game mechanics feel identical. In particular, the map is littered with shiny collectibles, pretty vantage points, and unique challenges, which offer a lot of hours of fun for completionists.
Basic combat involves simple quick and heavy melee attacks, stealth techniques, sniping vulnerable points, and playing with a variety of toys including explosive traps, tripwires, and a few interesting gimmicks I won't spoil. Surviving a fight involves equal parts study and planning, and quick reactions.
There's a little bit of monster-hunter feel, with rare loot from strong enemies being needed to trade for shiny new weapons, and more common components being used to restock your ammunition and recovery consumables, and modify your weapons and armor.
The setting is a post-apocalypse world with tribal cultures who are beset by hoards of robot-animals. I am finding myself extremely interested in the setting in lore; finding out about the history that led up to the current state, learning about the world as it is now, and dealing with the personal affairs of my character and the people she interacts with. It's all very enjoyable.
I absolutely cannot recommend this game enough for anyone with a ps4.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 05:50:14 pm »

Not trying to put down the game or anything, but that sounds a lot like a Farcry 3-esque game. Or am I just somehow misibterpreting what I've heard?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 05:58:40 pm »

I'm back to playing FortressCraft Evolved. If you like Factorio, Minecraft tech mods, or just automation, production and logistics in general, it's a pretty fun game.
I think last time I played was 2 years ago. The game is better now, feels more solid, and there's even a DLC out if you've ever finished the original game.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 10:58:48 am »

Got a bit into Low Magic Age which is in it's current version basically a generator of DND-flavored coffeebreak tactical combats. It has kind of "pie in the sky" promises for the full version but what there is right now is pretty nice.

Implementation of DND rules is a lot skimpier than in, say, Incursion, e.g. pool of spells is pretty limited(and casting is cooldown-based), there are only four classes and there are feats but no skills. But you still get things like attacks of opportunity, sneak attacks, varied bestiary and nice touches like being able to set pool of grease or spiderweb on fire with fireball. Interface is clean and tiles come from the same tileset as TOME.

Currently the game consists of making a party of up to six, fighting random combats, leveling up, finding/buying new equipment, rince, repeat. Numbers on characters and equipment scale a lot more than DnD and there is no level cap. Game gets updated once every week or two and, though I'm not holding my breath, I hope that campaign mode might actually get there sometime.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 12:10:50 pm »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13
The Power-up Pack(basically huge/game-changing DLC) on steam has been translated to Engrish.

Its just one of those game series I mindlessly throw money at and play for hours.  And really, I have been waiting for an Engrish PUK for this since I learned it was a thing. 

They've really expanded on playing as an officer/free officer. 
Initial look-see, switching between 'titles'... if you have a private army, you lose the whole batch of troops if the title you are switching to doesn't have the ability to control a private army, for example, the transition from ronin to officer.  There are other things you can accumulate too, unknown yet if they are saved or not.

It'll take me awhile to get to see if anything is fundamentally broken... since in Nobunaga's Ambition, 'your' Ruler AI is horribly gimped. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:34 am »

Armored Warfare had it's 2.0 balance update hit a couple of days ago. Rather than necro the thread I'll just write it here.

Don't bother. It's a goddamn mess with no direction or thought put into it. A lot of the stuff is either bugged or seriously stupidly balanced and RNG based, after they claimed that they weren't doing the WoT school of RNG based gameplay.

Spotting is kinda random with pop-ins and outs, PvE is retarded because your spotting range is barely a 100 meters, in any vehicle, and while it's done to make the maps feel bigger, the bots don't necessarily suffer the same issue, so you're getting shot at by ninja tanks sitting in a bush a 100 meters away.
They changed ammo too, simplified really, and randomised. Before you had to pick stuff according to targets and their armor, and certain types were balanced by having lower pen or being defeated by various defenses. That it still true to an extent, but they added a random component of armor thickness affecting the damage dealt which means that you shouldn't really bother with anything but AP since it's the most reliable and your damage would vary by over 20% regardless of ammo type so might as well deal damage on a regular basis.
APS is useless now, it has a minimum activation range of 200-250 meters, and even then certain types have only a chance of maybe working. Combined with the PvE bots all spamming ATGM's in higher tier games you get hit for a third or more of your HP and the system that's supposed to prevent that won't even fire because the bots are less than a 100 meters from you since you can't really see them otherwise.
DMG and HP have been standardised across tiers, now it's mostly the samey 2k+ HP and about 500 DMG per shot, and as armor seems so random with the new round shattering mechanic, there's little difference in driving most tanks at higher tiers, just a slightly different looking model for the most part. A light tank can bounce just as well as an MBT simply because you can't influence RNG.
The retrofit system has been gutted, instead of the earlier, somewhat complex and interesting system where you had to choose and pick from a number of stuff to customize your vehicle however you wanted, you get the bog standard 3-4 slots like in WoT with the same handful of boring upgrades like +10% reload or viewrange. Making it essentially the same 3-4 upgrades on every tank (and while the old system had elements of this if you wanted to min-max, there were a lot more viable choices for various things you wanted to do). They also made the prices the same across all tiers instead of scaled like before. So now your 250k T3 tank needs to pay 3 million for a top tier upgrade, just like your 22 million T10 tank. They did this they say so the gap between new players and those with all the upgrades is smaller and less punishing, by making the upgrades extremely expensive and boring so that people don't bother with them for the most part.
Autocannons are useless, not because they were nerfed but because they seem to be buggy in how they pen, when you have 140mms of pen and shot at the side of a poorly armored light tank you don't expect to see over half your shots to not do anything.
There's a bunch of bugs too, like the menu opening when you hit enter after writing something in chat, crashes, overall worse visuals for whatever reason.

And all this after over half a year of delays and tests where people told them not to implement some of these changes because they would make the game a shittier clone of WoT instead of something merely similar but with a lot of potential to be it's own thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 166