Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283826 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2017, 07:28:04 am »

Decksplash.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/499470/Decksplash/

It basically looks like a ripoff of Splatoon with skateboarding motif. I signed up for the Alpha playtest and got 2 spare Steam keys, so first-come first-serve.
7QH8I-3HE0R-5NHK4
9CZNG-EBFJ7-ZIYXN

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2017, 07:48:06 pm »

Night in the Woods is an interesting game. It's a more narrative game. It's kind of hard to describe its genre, really.
In some ways, I want to call the game a 2D walking simulator, but I don't think that's giving it enough credit. It's strange. There are platforming elements and light usage of minigames (all of which feel natural and embedded within the game's world) but ultimately, the game's about dialogue and narrative. So I wouldn't call this a walking simulator, but definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for gameplay first.

I've seen it compared to Life is Strange, but I can't really make my own comparison here as I haven't played Life is Strange.

Plot-wise, you open as a college dropout returning to her parents' house in a "crumbling former mining town", with some supernatural elements.
The story's tone is interesting. It all feels depressing throughout the story, and more-so at certain points. The crumbling town, the problems of the main characters (and especially your character), and more all contribute to this. There are themes of existentialism as well. Yet I wouldn't say the story's a downer.

Actually, an interesting comparison I thought of while playing it was the webcomic Broodhollow, which is about strange horrifying things going on in a small town. Of course, it's not too similar, but contrasting the two is something.

I'd definitely recommend it; it's roughly 9 hours and is $20.
I just kind of wish I could talk about it with other people! That's my problem with this kind of narrative-focused media. I always really like discussing it with others and feel very mildly depressed (in a way) when it's over. And with NitW it's not the most popular of games, which makes this even worse.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:26:12 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2017, 01:03:46 pm »

Dragon Quest Builder: I got this little game from a sale for 20 bucks last saturday and somehow its already tuesday.

It's this minecraft/dark cloud combo with dragon quest paint over it and its surprisingly addictive. It's broken down into maps a la Dark Cloud, where nothing but some gear and blueprints transfer between maps, but each map could take forever depending on what kind of constructor you are. I like building neat little villages with my own personal tower near the center of each, so it took me forever and a day to complete the the first map alone.

If you can get it on sale, I could recommend this little gem.

Also, I got Yakuza 0. I won't go too much into this, but Yakuza 0 brings up some good memories from my early childhood about the 80s/early 90s and it's a solid Yakuza entry as always.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2017, 04:20:59 pm »

Dragon Quest Builder: I got this little game from a sale for 20 bucks last saturday and somehow its already tuesday.

It's this minecraft/dark cloud combo with dragon quest paint over it and its surprisingly addictive. It's broken down into maps a la Dark Cloud, where nothing but some gear and blueprints transfer between maps, but each map could take forever depending on what kind of constructor you are. I like building neat little villages with my own personal tower near the center of each, so it took me forever and a day to complete the the first map alone.
I didn't hear that Dark Cloud comparison yet and it seems really apt. Makes me actually want to get it now!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2017, 04:43:27 pm »

I saw some compelling twitch streams of DQ:B shortly after it released, and have been watching for a sale. Haven't seen it drop under $40 until now.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »

I saw some compelling twitch streams of DQ:B shortly after it released, and have been watching for a sale. Haven't seen it drop under $40 until now.

Craigslist yo~ the only edition you can get from stores is the day one edition with some minor dlc stuff, the guy i bought it from used those already but I did get the game for a good price.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2017, 10:29:50 am »

I haven't seen a thread on Sundered, a lovecraftian-themed metroidvania that came out last week.

I've played it for a few hours and it's quite good. I haven't played many such games since Symphony of the Night but I like this one a lot.

Initial load time is a little slow but otherwise it's very enjoyable. It has rooms that are generated procedurally to fill in large areas between significant rooms, which makes returning to boss fights or difficult areas much less tedious (no more memorizing the exact layout of trivial rooms for optimum progress).

There's a significant mechanic around resisting vs embracing madness so it's probably good for at least two playthroughs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2017, 06:53:45 pm »

Watching a vid of that... I have to say, that game may have the most doggedly persistent base enemies I have ever seen, in a metroidvania at the absolute least. Those little zappy shits get around like holy crap. I don't think I've ever encountered this type of game where you could straight up run a train on literally dozens of enemies.

... basically, the game's initial enemy? It's faster than you. It's faster than you, it basically never comes alone, and it can climb walls. And ceilings, I think. Basically everything. Once they aggro, they do not appear to stop chasing until you kill them, do not care about your paltry room boundaries, and will happily pile thirty of 'em into the same room with you, more combat dropping from above as they do it.

It's kinda' amazing to watch. Less sure I'd want to actually play it, but it's a helluva thing to watch.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2017, 12:44:35 am »

It's not really a game about walking into rooms and defeating a few enemies that are there, as it is a game about a million enemies piling into the room you're in, regardless of where that happens to be, and the resulting scramble for survival. I really wanna play it. :P
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2017, 03:59:43 pm »

A small game I've been watching for while is Voxel Turf, it's coming out on Steam on September 14.
It mixes some GTA with some Minecraft. You can build a city (even using preset buildings) and then do missions on it, fight on it, steal its banks, kill bandits, troll the police and whatnot.

This is super indie and all that, might be a bit wonky/weird for most people, but I've been wanting to see a game like Minecraft or GTA in which the game world reacts to you in some way.
In the game's 'strategy mode', enemy gangs will try to expand, and like most 4X/Strategy games, being too aggressive will make the whole city turn on you.

Again, pretty light game with wonky physics and programmer graphics, but playing the demo I loved it for its concept.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2017, 06:38:09 am »

Watching a vid of that... I have to say, that game may have the most doggedly persistent base enemies I have ever seen, in a metroidvania at the absolute least. Those little zappy shits get around like holy crap. I don't think I've ever encountered this type of game where you could straight up run a train on literally dozens of enemies.

... basically, the game's initial enemy? It's faster than you. It's faster than you, it basically never comes alone, and it can climb walls. And ceilings, I think. Basically everything. Once they aggro, they do not appear to stop chasing until you kill them, do not care about your paltry room boundaries, and will happily pile thirty of 'em into the same room with you, more combat dropping from above as they do it.

It's kinda' amazing to watch. Less sure I'd want to actually play it, but it's a helluva thing to watch.

They do eventually stop chasing, and while they charge faster than you walk, they're pretty easy to outmaneuver using wall-jumps (and the standard double jump ability comes relatively early). But yeah, the game has taken a lot of flak because it doesn't have traditional metroidvania rooms/screens which means no pre-placed enemies; waves are spawned dynamically (with an audio cue). There are some challenge areas where the waves are continuous. People looking for something like Symphony of the Night or La-Mulana were pretty thrown. Especially when the enemies that float through all walls and terrain start coming...

The powering-up curve is much more dramatic and by the end of the game your mobility options are pretty extreme and you're required to use them well; boss fights are often several screens in the air. The key element is that hitting an enemy resets double-jumping, and you eventually gain additional in-air mobility options.

Ultimately the game is an interesting evolution of metroidvanias that throws out a lot of the standard rules and does its own thing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:36 am »

(I know there are 2 dead threads of this.)
So yea, Mars Simulation Project is still alive and kicking.
Last time I messed with MSP was 2015.  Had to update my java for this, cause it wasn't working otherwise.

It has a fancy new UI and some other random things you can read up on in the changelog.

EDIT: Screwed up the fancy url thing.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:17:47 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2017, 06:59:32 pm »

There was no thread about it, and as it's a few years old already, i would like to mention LackeyCCG

LackeyCCG is a free program that allows you to play any card game (as long as someone created a plugin and if you look around there's a lot of them) either existing ones or even ones you may want to create with the plugin system.

It's either play by yourself or online, there is no rule enforcement and no AI provided by the program, so you'll have to know how to play the particular card game you're running through it.

By default, LackeyCCG comes with 3 plugins already so it can be usefull for those learning how to create their own : a "normal" traditional 52 cards system so you can play rummy, poker or whatever card game involve this kind of card, a chess system with the card provided being the chess pieces to show an example on non-card system, and 2 examples of a custom made CCG one with a few cards involving cats pictures and another involving some medieval stuff.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:02:29 pm by Robsoie »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:03 am »

I tried out shovel knight and it seems extremely......ok.

It is an ok platformer but it really suffers from its gold collection mechanic being very tedious and it doesn't really do anything to stand out.

There are a lot of old and new platformers that I enjoyed a lot more.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

SomeKindOfGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2017, 07:50:00 am »

I recently got every trophy on Undertale for the PS4.
God bless whoever makes the trophies, because I did not want to kill everyone to get that Platinum.
And you don't have to.
You just have to have a bunch of money.

Oh yeah, I really liked it. Undertale gets a solid 10/10 from me.

I tried out shovel knight and it seems extremely......ok.

It is an ok platformer but it really suffers from its gold collection mechanic being very tedious and it doesn't really do anything to stand out.

There are a lot of old and new platformers that I enjoyed a lot more.
I love Shovel of Hope, but the two expansions are way better, in my opinion.
They're more creative and fun.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:24:21 am by SomeKindOfGnome »
Signature? I hardly know 'er.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 166