Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300477 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2019, 02:58:03 pm »

Yeah, spelljammer has magic sea-going vessels (mostly) sailing between crystalline spheres (which had planets or whatever inside) kinda' things. Not necessarily different dimensions, iirc, but close enough in concept to match. Similar fiction plays around with star-gate sorta' stuff or magic equivalent of wormholes, sometimes doing stuff like ripping off chunks of planets/dimensions and chucking them into the distance. And then you have, y'know. Nanoha, which goes high level magi-tek style nonsense. There's all sorts of stuff to play with, heh.

Though depending on the setting dealing with barren planets can be pretty easy, if perhaps riskier. Just rip open a hole to a hell dimension or a few elemental planes or somethin' and clean up the mess once it's done infesting the planet :P

...also yeah some sort of galaxy scale arcanum 4x could be friggin' crazy interesting. Especially the interplay between magic and tech lean, writ solar system plus scale.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2019, 03:02:19 pm »

The Elder Scrolls has Imperial Mana-nauts and gods arriving in space ships made out of space metal.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2019, 03:29:17 pm »

Yeah, spelljammer has magic sea-going vessels (mostly) sailing between crystalline spheres (which had planets or whatever inside) kinda' things. Not necessarily different dimensions, iirc, but close enough in concept to match. Similar fiction plays around with star-gate sorta' stuff or magic equivalent of wormholes, sometimes doing stuff like ripping off chunks of planets/dimensions and chucking them into the distance. And then you have, y'know. Nanoha, which goes high level magi-tek style nonsense. There's all sorts of stuff to play with, heh.

Though depending on the setting dealing with barren planets can be pretty easy, if perhaps riskier. Just rip open a hole to a hell dimension or a few elemental planes or somethin' and clean up the mess once it's done infesting the planet :P

...also yeah some sort of galaxy scale arcanum 4x could be friggin' crazy interesting. Especially the interplay between magic and tech lean, writ solar system plus scale.

Aboard Dwarf Corvette 99-Echo

Captain Broddok, the gruff yet practical commander of the ship, straightens his space tunic before addressing the assembled crew.

"Alright gentledwarves... We're coming up on the coordinates of the enemy mage-vessel. It's a massive spell-slinging fortress with reinforced warding against enemy incursion and the hazards of space itself. Intelligence says it's crewed by no fewer than a hundred battlemages, all of them bristling with magical energy and bad tempers."

He inhales deeply, continuing.

"I needn't tell you how dangerous this encounter is going to be, and how horribly outmatched our wee ship would be in a fair fight against this monstrosity. Luckily, we've got a secret weapon."

He reaches into the weapons crate at his feet, grunting slightly as he hefts a large silver oblong and holds it aloft.

"This is the X-27 torpedo. It's a highly classified design, and the most expensive piece of equipment currently on this ship. It's equipped with twin-linked gyroscopic navigational safeguards, 360 degrees of thruster adjustment, a self-contained molten salt atomic power plant, a backup Bose-Tesla quantum generator coil in case of primary power failure, five guidance computers with tandem processing, a miniature class 3 biohazard research laboratory, and it runs DOOM."

The gathered crewmembers gasped with hushed awe. Then Lt. Tagrum, the weapons officer, raised his scarred and weathered hand.

"What kind of payload is it equipped with?"

"None. And it doesn't need one. The sheer technological alignment of this thing should disrupt any magical influence within 200 meters. Our plan is to maneuver past the initial enemy barrage, and then fire the X-27 directly into the heart of their shields. The spells and glyphs holding the whole damn calamity together should unravel in moments, and the spellship will collapse into pieces as its crew are sucked into space."

The crew cheered. Broddok concealed a smile of his own beneath the curly mane of his beard, and dismissed the crew with a curt nod. They all had their orders, all that remained was to see if their plan was good enough... or, perhaps, insane enough.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2019, 10:11:46 pm »

Below Kryll is a platformer where most of the content is user-created...and it's actually worth playing. 

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2019, 01:56:13 pm »

Tell me if you've heard this one before. PvP survival game. Gather resources for your home base, which leads to conflict with other players.

But now you're in a post-apocalyptic future where people have forgotten how wheels work, so you've got to build humongous strandbeests to get around. The apocalypse means that the world has stopped spinning, leading to year-long days as you migrate across the surface staying in the habitable zone.

One, the wheel thing.
Two, "woodpunk". *sigh*
Three, ginormous trees grow in less than a year, huh?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »

I love the concept and design, and I can stand the premise in spite of it's realism shortcomings, but

woodpunk

sigh
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2019, 04:13:20 pm »

Can you imagine the splinters? *shudder*

As for the trees, think about it... One year-long day would technically count as closer to 2.5 years' worth of sunlight, since there's no night or dusk time with reduced sunlight. So you get closer to three years of delicious photosynthesis in a single day! See? It makes perfect sense!

Anyways, on a different note... Counter Spell! Multiple classes with more-or-less unique gameplay, detailed worlds (I believe there's also a random map generator), single player, co-op, competitive multiplayer... It certainly sounds like it could be a fun time, but I haven't played it myself and gameplay videos are rather few and far between.

The "Reforged" update supposedly added a lot of new content and functionality, so there's that too. I think the game is mainly unknown because of the unfortunate situation involving its name and how it basically doesn't show up anywhere unless you specifically know that you're looking for it.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2019, 07:31:14 pm »

i did a basic search and didn't find a thread so i'll just put this here for now:

Legends of Ellaria

https://store.steampowered.com/app/621070/

its this rpg/rts/citybuilder thats in early access. the building part works ok, you can order some militia to follow you and theres multiple classes to choose for your avatar. animations are kinda wonky and so is the construction ui, but it works. i just started with this game: chose to be a warrior for the start and im leading my militia to find some lost people.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2019, 03:21:28 pm »

I've had The Witcher for a while and finally decided to try it today.

You know what my favorite part of Aurora Engine games is? All the left-clicking and awkward combat animations. We really needed more of those. Throw in a completely non-interactive action cutscene and some exposition worthy of a young-adult fantasy novel and you have yourself a recipe for a grand old time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »

I've had The Witcher for a while and finally decided to try it today.

You know what my favorite part of Aurora Engine games is? All the left-clicking and awkward combat animations. We really needed more of those. Throw in a completely non-interactive action cutscene and some exposition worthy of a young-adult fantasy novel and you have yourself a recipe for a grand old time.
Not sure if it's negative or positive review.  :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2019, 03:31:46 pm »

There's still a chance it could turn things around once I'm out of the tutorial/exposition area and actually playing, but so far I loathe this game.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2019, 03:56:53 pm »

There's still a chance it could turn things around once I'm out of the tutorial/exposition area and actually playing, but so far I loathe this game.
God no, get out while you still can!

It's not worth it! The combat only gets worse, the signs are overpowered when they work properly (which is half the time), and the exposition and character development doesn't even make any fucking sense. It's not worth the carryover saves... Just skip over to Witcher 2 if you've got it (I haven't played it yet myself, but the combat system is different), or Witcher 3 if you want the juicy good stuff.

The original Witcher burns minds and twists souls. And for the love of all that is holy, don't pick hard difficulty!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2019, 04:01:29 pm »

The best part while you are playing the Witcher MS Excel combat clicking simulator, is when a cut scene starts before a boss fight, but the boss starts beating on you before the cut scene is fully finished playing. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2019, 04:18:04 pm »

Always enjoyed that. Or where you're coming out of a cutscene and literally the first thing you see is the boss landing an attack on you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2019, 04:24:15 pm »

The original Witcher burns minds and twists souls. And for the love of all that is holy, don't pick hard difficulty!

"I don't think I've spent enough time in this swamp" said NOONE WHO'S PLAYED WITCHER 1, EVER.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 168