Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283898 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2019, 03:58:39 pm »

I got hooked on Tetris again only to learn that Tetris Friends is shutting down. Since I don't have a Switch to play Tetris 99, I've started playing JStris.

It's a lot like Bastet in that you have to take what lines you can clear even if it's not the most optimal. If you try to get fancy or are waiting on a particular piece, you'll get owned in about ten seconds. It's all about clearing lines as fast as possible.

The highest I've gotten is 19, although I think there weren't many people playing when I scored that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2019, 06:36:43 pm »

Here's something I had no idea was in the works or was expecting at all. An expansion has been released for Titan Quest...

Scratch that. Apparently there's been 2 expansions released for Titan Quest in the past 2 years.

Titan Quest: Ragnarök
Spoiler: Details: (click to show/hide)

Titan Quest: Atlantis
Spoiler: Details: (click to show/hide)

It's not a game I've been looking at particuarly closely, since Grim Dawn has replaced it for my currently played ARPG. Still, it's nice to see a game still getting content so many years after its initial release.

Huh.

Kind of expensive, though.

It'll be interesting to go back to it. I never did like the ultra-end game of it. Archer mobs (the dragon archers in the china area) always seemed to tear me up no matter how I built myself, even with max pierce resist. Still, might get them on sale.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2019, 07:36:48 pm »

I'm a bit weary making these its own thread, so they'll just go here for now

What they are (My Colony and Antiquitas), are city building games that are on steam but mobile ports. Before that scares you away, it isn't like playing a mobile game at all but kinda like an economic simcity 4 city builder. There are no microtransactions or pay to win at all. There aren't exactly timers, though there is waiting for people to arrive from launch pads (my colony, but you can build a bunch of launch pads for faster colonists) or houses "breed" people in Antiquitas. And there is waiting to get enough resources to do stuff, and can take time to progress because of that. Definitely a more slow paced kind of game with building up slowly (a lot more so in Antiquitas, My Colony is a lot faster). Though the regions (Simcity 4 style and they all semi-interact) are big enough that you can have regions entirely focused on industry/resources and it speeds up as city grows)

Antiquitas (3 USD) -
https://store.steampowered.com/app/935750/Antiquitas/

My Colony (5 USD) -
https://store.steampowered.com/app/964130/My_Colony/

My Colony is a space colonization game, and I'm positive you can colonize other planets though I haven't reached that part so I'm not 100% sure on that. It says there is space features, so I assume so. You build pretty fast compared to Antiquitas, get huge amounts of people and even has an optional online mode. There is no battling (same with Antiquitas, no rts/strategy stuff). Antiquitas has no multiplayer currently and not sure if there will be put in), but for My Colony its all co-op stuff helping each. In My Colony you can join federations and be part of a large player group, or one of the AI federations. And singleplayer too of course for those not wanting the online aspects.

My problem with My Colony is things seem to...not look as good as far as the city goes. Its a lot harder to make a beautiful city than Antiquitas. But it is possible, just harder for me so could be a personal issue. You consume a lot more resources, and need power, much bigger and more population buildings and things tend to get cluttered in my regions. In both games you do get regions as I said above, and its good to specialize regions to different things and that helps a lot. But My Colony is still great, and both games have a lot of neat features I haven't seen in a city builder before.

My Colony has 3 races, Humans (two factions), Draconians (evil aliens) and Zulag (insect/hive race kinda ant-based). Draconians are newest addition and haven't been fully developed yet, the creator is making a tech tree for them though.

Antiquitas is based on ancient period with Rome, Egypt and Gauls currently. Gauls being new and not fully developed yet. I suggested they add carthage at some point, as I think that be a good addition. Its much slower paced and slower to grow, more of starting with a village and slowly getting to city stage (I played a few hours and not even 100 people yet). But it is the ancient times, so things are smaller in scope than futuristic based My Colony. I like this one a lot especially because you can make such a beautiful city/village

Here is my small village in Antiquitas https://i.imgur.com/4SLv53n.jpg

My city in My Colony https://i.imgur.com/lFWZ6Mo.jpg

For the cheap price, and continual quite often updates its definitely worth it. Both games are updated a lot and to me that surprised me a lot, the creator(s) put in a lot of substantial updates without too long periods of no updates. Though some people find the lack of in-depth tutorial the game can be confusing. I figured it out easy enough though, but everyone is different in that regard. Since you got to build certain units to get new resources to unlock new buildings+research technology. It doesn't really flat out tell you what to do in that regard.

Also to add, my friend has a 4k monitor (its a huge tv monitor pretty much) and both games work fine and out of the box. So he/she/they (dunno how many people work on the game, maybe its just one person) ported it amazingly considering it came from mobile origins and supports 4k without any tweaks or problems.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:50:36 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:14 pm »

Robothorium came out a few months ago and plays somewhat like a robo-Darkest Dungeon (not Deep Sky Derelicts, which looks more like DD-in-SPACE! but I found unpalatable for some reason that slips my mind). If you play it, I highly recommend doing it at the max difficulty. Even then, it's pretty easy once you get rolling. Comments will be based on that difficulty.

Missions take place on a grid map where you roam from room to room, interacting with the equivalent of traps, treasure chests, or a few things, or combat.

Combat is turn-based, with each unit getting an action each turn. Units have shield/life, which is kind of important since shield regenerates for free quite easily, but there are very few ways to restore life in the middle of a mission, and you have to pay to restore it outside. There's a base attack (which varies in some interesting ways) that reduces Heat, 3/6 selectable skills that generate heat on use, and a super which generates a lot of heat and has a long CD. When you max out your heat, you lose your next turn and get a hefty defense penalty. Buffs and debuffs play a pretty large role... ostensibly. It's hard to tell.

If your units die, they permanently die, and you lose anything you have equipped on them. Thankfully, you can pay for replacements outside of missions and they come in at the same level as the rest of your team... though they probably won't have the classes you like.

Plot is nothing special, usual man abuses machine, machine wants legal protection kind of a deal. It plays well enough, and based on level caps, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through while still being entertained.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 16, 2019, 05:36:22 pm »

Here is how Draconians look in My Colony. They are super hard to figure out, but the gist with them is they need to trade/import/export for their economy. Won't give spoilers, but you have to buy resources to unlock new stuff. Online mode its a ton easier once you get the grand exchange (not called that) but it allows you to sell and buy resources on a much better deal for both. And their big source of money is selling things, but I recommend starting on abandoned world for them because you get a special (and very valuable) resource only draconians can get on their abandoned world

They also get a lot of immigration (so far mostly humans, haven't had zularg/insects show up yet). Which is interesting. Though draconians themselves don't need to work, so you can focus on getting draconian citizens and not worry too much that their is more population than jobs. Since draconians are actually lazy and don't like to work, so they don't get unhappy about it.

But here is my city

https://i.imgur.com/AzbjwqC.jpg

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:55 am »

So... Octopath Traveler on PC. First thought: Hype. Second thought: Most exploitative regional pricing ever, plus Denuvo. What's not to love?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:52:33 am by Mephisto »

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2019, 05:32:38 pm »

Eden Rising.

Feels like it could be a sci-fi Monster Hunter, but it would need work - Monster Hunter had 15 years to define and refine itself, Eden Rising would need a lot of time and resources to match the depth and refinement of MH.

Similar concepts:
 - There's a variety of weapons, each with their own attributes and movesets, and you upgrade them with things you find out in the world, or drops from creatures. However, the movesets are far less complex and because you carry them with you everywhere (I guess in some kind of quantum hammerspace, considering your inventory is limited otherwise), you're probably going to be switching in the weapons best against the toughest things you're fighting at the time, rather than specializing. (It is also a far smaller variety than what you find in MH.)
 - Likewise, defeating enemies is more about learning patterns and when it is safe to attack than it is overpowering them, since the weapon upgrades aren't significant in terms of increased damage. That said, monster AI is extremely simple and combat is very easy. No enemy that I fought tracked you during an actual attack, and most enemies leave themselves wide open for long periods of time during their attacks. Some of the bigger, more dangerous enemies, you simply avoid attacks until they faceplant themselves and are open to attack.
 - Running around harvesting bits and ores to make your consumables felt the same, although again the selection of consumables is very limited. In particular, the basic healing item is found pretty much everywhere uncommonly, and can be upgraded to heal more using other found items. Overall, the selection of consumables is, like weapons, comparatively limited.
 - Health feels limited compared to the amount of damage enemies do, and armor has tradeoffs to mobility/stamina vs. protection.

I didn't actually meet any significant "holy shit" type enemy encounter that would be even the slightest match for any kind of Great Beast from Monster Hunter. Just that the game they have, if given a slightly different focus or taken in a different direction, could join that genre.

The tower defense mechanics are mediocre so far as I saw. Towers are simple, weak (damage and defense), and slow - it is clear that the player is the one expected to do all the damage output. Maybe with a lot of turrets in a single lane they could handle a wave or two by themselves. It's somewhat nice to be able to use a tower or two out in the world if you need some help with something difficult, but again it only supports your damage, they don't deal much themselves. Maybe if the defense areas were made larger, towers made more important - something like an Orcs Must Die balance between player and tower output - and have the siege waves made fairly larger.

Combat is slow, stiff, and simple. Movement is more open than in MHWorld but also somewhat buggy - the jump is fairly liberal but sometimes jitters/teleports and slides on certain surfaces. Enemies regenerate health immediately if they cannot reach you, and usually just dive into the ground and blip back to their spawn point (or path circuit) when they reset - except during TD segments. Even outside TD, sometimes you can still 'exploit' pathing by using ranged weapons in areas that you can cross much easier than enemies, who have to circle around a more traditional valid path - ranged weapons are mostly weaker and slower than melee.

Crucible (the tower defense areas) upgrades are somewhat nice to limited some of the manual farming, but only one can be active at a time - I presume this disables the passive item generation in disabled crucibles. The tech tree is simple and serves only as a means of gating player power progression by limiting access to resources (some techs unlock the ability to harvest different resources from existing nodes). Although, I guess, I'm not sure what a tech tree might functionally do otherwise than gate player power.

The art direction is nice.

Disclaimer: I got around to activating the Fungal Preserve tower before quitting. I saw only potential in the gameplay, but nothing realized. There's some complaints about it being listed as "free to play" but certain areas are locked behind the ~$30 "ascended" pack, with people saying that the FTP version is basically just a demo. The devs counter that if you were to play on a server hosted by an "ascended" player you could still access all content. I'm not sure how true that is, because some of the weapons said they were only available to ascended, even though I could kill and get all the drops necessary to build them.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 24, 2019, 08:01:17 am »

Arma 3. Realistic military shooter. Related technology is used by actual militaries.

So. What do you think the next feature is going to be?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2019, 02:33:25 am »

A little gem I love and can never seem to remember what it's called that just got bundled into the (8th) Humble Monthly I accidentally bought... Duskers! So in case anybody grabbed the bundle and is about to pass on this little guy...

You're the last survivor in a space ship at the end of the universe, trying to figure what's going on by picking through the logs of derelict ships via remote controlled drones. Gameplay is either by manual control of the drones, coupled with a lot of console commands to the ship you're exploring, or entirely via console commands (barring a few finicky moments where your drones are too stupid to mode aside to let its buddies pass...).

Its one of those games where you basically constantly lurch on the edge of catastrophic failure, or things are going so swimmingly that nothing can take you down except a stupid mistake that's lurking right around the corner. Your drones can hold various tools, as can your ship, but wear and tear is a constant threat as you flit about space trying to make sense of things before you fall apart.

It's NOT combat-based at all. While you can use your drones to kill the beasties that roam the ships, direct combat pretty much means you've exhausted every other option and you happen to have a spare gun lying around. It's more about reading the map and making the best of the tools you have at the moment. For example, only have a motion detector? Use it to open and close doors to slowly shuttle hostiles on the ship to an airlock before venting them out into space. Last ditch effort to check a room's safety? Open and close the doors a few times. Maybe the doors will throw up an obstruction warning when you try and close it.

Failure is pretty much always a player screw up-- 20 ships in, "What are the odds that something is going to kill me in this room before I can slam the door shut? OHNOIT'STHEFASTSWARMTHING--bzzzzzzt
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 10, 2019, 01:03:40 am »

Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech just came out on PC recently and... it's iffy. Not bad by any stretch, but I wouldn't give it 9/10 it appears to have.

Superficially, it resembles a deck-based RPG (a la Slay the Spire), but it's closer to a traditional turn-based RPG. Each of your characters has a deck of up to 8 cards, and you draw to six cards every turn. You play up to 3 cards every turn, with a special bonus card if all three are from the same character. More powerful cards require you to charge up by using basic attack/buff cards. Characters have their own stats, equipment, etc.

Visually, it looks pretty good. Nice and solid design that fits in well with the rest of the Steamworld universe.  There's some kind of weird dithering going on with some of the portraits that I can't decide if it's sloppy scaling or just a design thing. Music is great. The writing is... interesting. The sense of humor in it isn't quite my thing, but it has its moments; to each their own.

But it's lacking the polish I'd expect from being attached to the Steamworld brand, especially vaguely similar stuff being released in the last few years. For example, you can't get the detailed info on the bonus cards in-combat (only out of combat; you can view the other icons). There's no explanation for a lot of little icons. (What's that red angry face ailment? Sure, it's berserk, but you should still be able to see it.) Hold shift by default to speed things up, and the toggle option in the menu toggles the default speed of the game; no keypress toggle for normal/fast. No turns remaining indicator on buffs unless you view detailed stats. Oh, and no explanation on exactly how stats work. (Does luck influence drops?) Damage is somewhat variable when it doesn't look like it should be. Unfortunately, it feels like it was designed for the Switch first, with the general feel of the interface and presentation.

I think part of my problem is that with how it looks kind of like StS, I expect StS-style information and precision when it's really more of a traditional RPG with a funky mechanism for determining your actions for the round.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2019, 09:42:38 am »

Recently bought Reventure on Steam (because 40% discount makes it almost dirt cheap), and boy, it's fun!

It's full of humor, and 100 endings. Some hilarious, some gruesome, some are both. It has plenty of unlockables, secrets, shortcuts and shout-outs innit.

Lovely pixel graphics included, although on certain small rooms the game zooms on those pixels and the blur is just a bit eye-jarring. Soundtrack is full of nice chiptunes - Pirate's Cliff is my favorite of all!

Currently at 64/100 endings, and finding new ones actually became challenging (after all, you can stab everyone only once).
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2019, 01:31:38 pm »

Cooking Simulator is out. Kinda reminds me of the job I had working in much the same environment. In that it was a horrid nightmare where you couldn't win no matter how hard you tried because the universe really hates you. On the other hand, you can, if you want, place a large propane canister on top of your stovetop range, which is something I'd very likely do if I ever found myself back at that place for whatever reason.

It actually took me a while and several broken bottles to figure out that you have to take the blender's container off the machine and set it on the counter to pour things into it the "easy" way, instead of the hard, but entirely possible, way of manually rotating the bottle to pour out the contents into the blender. So, yeah, the tutorial it shit but learning things the hard and possibly-on-fire way is part of the experience I guess.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2019, 02:44:03 pm »

With any kind of game that involves operating a kitchen, I can't help but flashback to The Exit Burrito. It really is such a fantastic solution to the problem.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:03 am »

Mihoyo, the makers of popular mobile scifi action game Honkai Impact 3rd, have recently opened applications for closed beta of their upcoming PC fantasy action game, Genshin Impact, scheduled to begin later this month.

And for you readers out there, the website has a bunch of free manga providing lore for the game!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 15, 2019, 06:51:48 am »

I just finished 100%'ing Trover Saves the Universe, a video game from the makers of Rick and Morty.
Trover is a very mediocre platformer/collectathon, with stale dialogue that becomes annoying at times and an overall game length that doesn't quite match the purchase price. I can not recommend.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 166