Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283805 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #345 on: June 15, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »

Crypt of the Necrodancer apparently got a legend of zelda DLC, uh, recently? Probably will never play it and I don't feel like necroing one of the old threads, but it looks (and sounds) pretty neat so folks might be interested?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 17, 2019, 07:47:03 am »

I just finished 100%'ing Trover Saves the Universe, a video game from the makers of Rick and Morty.
Trover is a very mediocre platformer/collectathon, with stale dialogue that becomes annoying at times and an overall game length that doesn't quite match the purchase price. I can not recommend.

I mean, that's what I would have guessed from "makers of a mediocre [not game]."

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 18, 2019, 05:10:31 am »

Crypt of the Necrodancer apparently got a legend of zelda DLC, uh, recently? Probably will never play it and I don't feel like necroing one of the old threads, but it looks (and sounds) pretty neat so folks might be interested?

It's not a DLC, it's an entirely new game called "Cadence of Hyrule". I've seen one of the streamers I watch speedrunning it, and it's definitely fairly different from the OG CotN.

It's only on Nintendo Switch, though.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 18, 2019, 07:21:51 am »

Standalone DLC *shakes fist*

... but yeah I didn't notice 'till a bit later it was a standalone crossover thing. I've never played CotND or watched much video of it, so how similar the gameplay was(n't) wasn't something I recognized. Still, as said, it looks pretty good for what it is. Definitely have to check speedrun vids if they're already faffing about. Those are usually fun.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 20, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »

I bought Wytchsun: Elleros Origins last night. It looked janky but sort of fun so I put it on my wishlist a while back. It came out yesterday and had good reviews.

Fast forward, it... does not have good reviews. It's maybe a completely unchanged version of their last game. It may or may not have one piece of stolen music.

So what is it? Think Morrowind but just slightly shit. You start in a jail cell. but not really. You're just kind of in the side of a house, surrounded by weird bars that you could simply sidle through if you were not apparently in an upper body brace.

Spoiler: No, seriously. (click to show/hide)

You find yourself poisoned somehow as two guards talk near you. For some reason their conversation played twice in my game before the event trigger happened. Possibly because, like an idiot, I approached one and hit the talk button. Spoiler - the poison just knocks you out instead of killing you. You start with a knife but you find so many better weapons before you even get out of the little tutorial area that it doesn't matter at all. You rekill a few skeletons, find some weird penguin things that I guess are the developers' attempts at humor, and find yourself in a mine with human enemies. And that's about where I left off.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:55 am »

Congratulations on becoming acquainted with the dark side of the U4 engine getting released for free.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 21, 2019, 02:42:39 am »

I bought Wytchsun: Elleros Origins last night. It looked janky but sort of fun so I put it on my wishlist a while back. It came out yesterday and had good reviews.

Spoiler: No, seriously. (click to show/hide)

... find some weird penguin things that I guess are the developers' attempts at humor ...

Between the screenshots and that comment about weird penguin things, I had to search for this post that seemed kind of familiar recently that was either in the Own/Die thread recently that may have been the same game...

And lo and behold, it's a different game, but from the same poster. You must have a thing for first person RPGs with middlin' reviews.  :D  (Aforementioned post here for the curious. And yes, that pig is freakin' terrifying.)

Oh, and can we get a shot of the weird penguin things? Just to compare with the pig.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 21, 2019, 06:56:30 am »

You must have a thing for first person RPGs with middlin' reviews.  :D

Hey now, Dark and Light was a licensed Ark game. It at least had some potential. But yes. Yes I do.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 21, 2019, 07:35:39 am »

Hey now, Dark and Light was a licensed Ark game.
Honestly, this should be your first warning that something is wrong.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2019, 10:02:16 pm »

Evospace. More "Factorio but 3d" (including the whole "pick a thing to build and you automatically build all of its components" thing) than Satisfactory, though with infinitely less combat.

The main things pictured, sort of in order - a coke oven producing coke and some kind of liquid out of coal. An ore washer that uses mechanical power and water to clean dirty gravel/dust into 1.5 clean gravel/dust. A drying thing that turns ore sludge from the washer into clay dust, clay bars into bricks, and other miscellaneous drying tasks. An auto hammer turning steam and one ore into 1.5 dirty gravel. A macerator turning mechanical power and 1 ore/[dirty|clean]gravel into 1.5 dirty dust. A steam boiler turning water and heat into steam.

These are all the copper variants. There are multiple levels of machine you get to tech up through. Pretty sure I'm almost to the next tier - steel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:10:25 pm by Mephisto »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2019, 07:40:26 am »

Fast forward, it... does not have good reviews.

I've been bit by that twice myself. People around here like to jump on me for saying sometimes you buy something and regret it too late for Steam to let you refund it (unpatched bugs after first level, etc.), saying the reviews will save you. Sometimes a few people just give a game good reviews, especially right before it goes on sale. It sucks, and I've got to get better at expecting people to lie on Steam.

Evospace looks interesting. I'll have to look into that one.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 02, 2019, 12:53:42 pm »

So I bought that Soviet  Republic city building game someone talked about in the sales thread.
It is all about running a soviet era region from the ground up basically. 

Can definitely say that this is a hardcore city builder, if you tick the difficulty options for it.  (Hard population management is brutal.)
You basically manage everything, including the population.
 Your only source of income is exporting stuff.
 Communists do not charge their own peasants for anything, but must still satiate the needs of the people.  2 currencies to manage also.

One quirk I hate though is stuff like bus stops, no through traffic, that includes foot traffic, despite it having 2 road slots on opposite ends.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 02, 2019, 01:02:41 pm »

(Hard population management is brutal.)
This is why you need to make long-term plans for these sorts of things. Like, say, five years at a time.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 02, 2019, 01:43:02 pm »

So there were hyrule total war mod, which was abandoned few nation reworks away from being technically finished and left with not one, but three game-breaking bugs in the last and only version. And it were infuriating. But some modder guy just happened to have old version, upon which he built a (recently released) submod. Rejoice those few who wanted to play HTW! It is now probably playable! https://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-total-war-v-38-mr-nygrens-submod
Balance is still being kicked out of scyscraper's window, though, for the sole reason of 5 stories tall, 126 defence abominations hulking around. At least that can be more or less fixed easily.
Also, in the old version Essence of Tarm is random bug thingie instead of freakish moving platform that shoots Should-be-visible Giant Buggy Laser Of Death. And head necroskeleton looks like a bald Joker. Okaaay.
EDIT: Yeah, it appears to be actual total war now, although i didn't checked with open map yet. I have seen river zora raiders capture hylia lakeport. And when i captured first settlement in proper world as twili, i immediately got sieged by 1.5 Gerudo stacks AND Ordona stack AND passing by Darknut stack. Gerudo stacks included 126 def Twinrova. Seriously, who thought it was a great idea? I can at least try cannons, but bot can't. Imagine that 80% of factions in TATW have Sauron from the beginning and Sauron is three times stronger. That will be this.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:14:34 pm by MCreeper »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 08, 2019, 01:32:18 am »

The World is Your Weapon looks and plays like a console roguelike (a la the many Mystery Dungeon games out there) with a notable distinction-- pretty much everything can be picked up and used as a weapon, and even basic items can have some interesting applications. And by 'pretty much everything', I mean pretty much everything. I was seeing how far that went and was chasing a cat around town, trying to pick it up when I actually grabbed a piece of road. Armed with my new chunk of conceptual dirt, I gave up on the cat and charged into the nearby hostile zone and laid down the beatdown on a slime. (Not very effectively; roads are a lousy weapon as it turns out.) So I switched to my heavy hitter... The Blacksmith's House. And promptly pressed the wrong button, picking up the slime and turning it into a weapon.

Which basically explains the core gameplay; you're picking up random junk, whacking monsters with it to see what it does,/encyclopedia entry, and then using it until it breaks (which is quite often-- highest durability I've seen so far is 4 hits). There's some loose narrative about finding a McGuffin, but it's not really the point.

The pixel art is perfectly fine, though the portraits/cut scenes are kind of... artistic? But that doesn't really matter that much.

Also, Robot Wants It All was just recently released. Which is basically an enhanced collection of the Robot Wants (x) series of Flash games that first came out... phew... a decade ago?* Which are fantastic mini Metroidvanias. Not sure what's new in here, but I have positive memories of the originals.

Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 166