Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294255 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2019, 08:58:08 am »

... what about going out of your way to climb the building like a monkey because you're trying to loot everything to the ground? Some of us do that, y'know. I once cleaned out morrowind's starting town in its entirety. Stole and sold literally everything that wasn't in a NPC's inventory (and some things that were, iirc. Think you had to murder some people to get at everything...). It's good to know there's a stalker equivalent :P

I'd like to see a game where the thief character isn't as good as other classes (or thief skills take a lot of starting resources in point-buy), but accumulating an excessive amount of money lets you buy weapons and armor for the thief that make them amazing. When my stuff costs the same, I don't have any reason for the thief to thief stuff. They're just a slightly-different fighter.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 06, 2019, 10:27:46 am »

Some of us do that, y'know.

I get it  :)
It just kinda broke the immersion.

I'd like to see a game where the thief character isn't as good as other classes....They're just a slightly-different fighter.

I'd say Gothic, did a good job at that, both throughout the game and especially in the early chapters. Having limited skill points/level meant that each choice had an opportunity cost. Investing in thieving skills early on meat that you had to postpone getting combat skill which made fights more difficult despite having access to arguably better gear. Of course your character would eventually be able to become a master in most skills, but certain choices you had made up to this point would have a lasting effect in your gameplay, ie a master fighter might never learn how to use spells or even if he did, he would never get access to the best spells or have enough mana to sustain heavy use of magic, on the other hand a master mage would still be too squishy for melee combat and too weak to even equip the best melee weapons.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 06, 2019, 03:58:06 pm »

Blasphemous releases on Steam on the 10th. It's a 2d Metroidvania with Dark Souls inspirations sprinkled in. I've been looking forward to this one for quite a while. The gameplay I'm not totally amped for, especially after just playing and beating Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. But the theme looks great. Uber dark vaguely Catholic stylings. The whole game looks like some sort of descent in to a nightmare monastery. Can't wait!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 07, 2019, 12:45:03 am »

Blasphemous
Oh hey, Drillhead. I remember seeing some of the old graphics and design teases. Been looking forward to this one!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 08, 2019, 10:50:33 am »

Been playing through the Homeworld games recently, having never played them before. Homeworld 1 was before my time, so I never played it or Cataclysm/2. There are threads for them but not really a need to necro them. I got Deserts of Kharak and the remastered 1/2 on steam and have been playing chronologically, having just beaten Deserts and now playing the beginning of HW1.

Deserts of Kharak was actually surprisingly fun and a very solid RTS in addition with theme and atmosphere! Though very easy to cheese the campaign, since being attacked is very easy to predict:
1.) Enemy AI has a few production cruisers spread around the map that produce the occasional strike craft raiding party. So long as you don't have any spread out units, you can defeat these raiders without casualties. Said parties also never have AA, so you can bomb them to hell before they ever see your units as well.
2.) Substantial enemy attacks always occur as you finish specific objectives. So while an enemy carrier may arrive mid-mission and pose some challenge, you can fill your fleet to max and mine all the resources+artifacts on the map before doing the next objective to be overprepared.
That and abusing your own carrier for attacking. That's always fun. By the last few maps I relied mostly on excessive amounts of artillery cruisers, my carrier, and a few attack/support cruisers for good measure (as well as a moderately-sized group of strike craft I built before offensive cruisers were unlocked).

But yeah. Actually really fun, and I always could have played on harder difficulties or just avoided cheesing it but I am a coward who gets anxious around this kind of economy with limited resources on the map.

Homeworld has been fun and surprisingly... inventive? But it comes at the cost of so much micromanagement jesus christ I am not good at micromanagement send help. Just how all the systems work from docking, to especially formations (how you select them as a whole group is a really neat mechanic, actually) and the 3d nature as horrible as my brain is at anything regarding spatial logic.
It's tricky since I love the presentation of the game, the theming, and just the mechanics as a whole but it feels like everything in the game has managed to single out the things I'm worst at in RTSs. Hopefully I'll be able to manage it, and hopefully my current tactic of "letting the enemy send single attack frigates at a time to the mothership for me to yank via salvage corvettes" will work out.

Overall though, I definitely am happy with the choice to play through the games.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:49:56 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 08, 2019, 12:11:42 pm »

so much micromanagement jesus christ I am not got at micromanagement send help.
Hello! May I suggest Men of War for your next RTS indulgence?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #441 on: September 08, 2019, 12:14:43 pm »

Hello! May I also suggest Men of War Assault Squad 2? I will play with anyone who'd like to play. It's co-op and PVP

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 08, 2019, 12:33:08 pm »

Lockpicking minigames has a tendency to suck, but the one in Kingdom Come: Deliverance really takes the cake
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 10, 2019, 02:08:04 pm »

The only Hyper Light Drifter thread we've got seems to have died in 2016. So with that in mind...

A new thing.

Aaand I'm done. No more internet for today.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:14:28 pm by Mephisto »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 10, 2019, 07:30:31 pm »

Borderlands 3 just opened up for pre-download, with approximately 48 hours to launch!
I am hype!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 11, 2019, 12:57:25 pm »

It's still in development, but Skatebird is a fun-looking game. You'll be a bird who skates around gaining points or something, and expand the skate park. Because you're a small bird, your skate park in a room in a house, and is made of magazines and knickknacks.

The creator is trying to keep if from being too serious of a game while also researching how birds move and balance. The twitter has some videos of the devs messing around trying to see how well/poorly they can do to see what the game's limits are.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 14, 2019, 10:10:31 am »

dont remember if Thrive (that indie and crowd sourced game that aims to do akin to SPORE but more awesome and realistic) had a thread in the forums and dont want to go full necron and awake something so down in the list so.

as of latest devblog they seem to be reaching the requirements for moving the game development towards Multicellular Stage (AKA Aquatic stage and beyond). there's a lot of cool studies and mockups in the article, the engine was already making 3D Cells in a 2D POV so i guess it wouldnt take much hassle to swap that towards a 3D navigation POV but we'll see. it got me curious but it seems the devevelopment team has grown significantly or has improved their capabilities significantly.

it will probably take a lot of time before we see the first Multicellular organisms in the game tho, but still, im getting some hype and hope for it.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 14, 2019, 11:44:25 am »

Hello! May I also suggest Men of War Assault Squad 2? I will play with anyone who'd like to play. It's co-op and PVP
Looks at steam page.
Well, that's something i have never seen before. Also, tanks have HP now? WTF?
Speaking of, what's up with the friggin' Fox Hunt campaign(in original)? It's so busted, i don't have any idea what they were thinking, or what i was supposed to think.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:12:34 pm by MCreeper »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #448 on: September 14, 2019, 04:33:22 pm »

Looks at steam page.
Well, that's something i have never seen before. Also, tanks have HP now? WTF?
Speaking of, what's up with the friggin' Fox Hunt campaign(in original)? It's so busted, i don't have any idea what they were thinking, or what i was supposed to think.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Uh, what? Which game are you talking about? In Men of War Assault Squad 2 tanks don't have HP, but they can be disabled and the crew can be killed.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 14, 2019, 04:39:03 pm »

Whoops, mixed up with this one. For some reason, it goes first in google for me.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 167