Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283802 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #465 on: October 08, 2019, 05:58:31 am »

Oh nice, just lost half an hour's worth of writing due to the page suddenly just having a hiccup. It didn't even refresh, it just dumped all the text for no reason.

In summary: Noita is fun and interesting, Tropico 2 has style but not a functional economy.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 08, 2019, 08:03:10 am »

Blastbeard's posts in the "recommend me a game" thread reminded me that the game Gearhead (and Gearhead 2) exists.

It's a weird rogue-like with a swingy RNG (at low levels; it's basically the Earthdawn RNG) that has both in and out-of-mech sections, and the difficulty scales based on how many times you've succeeded/failed at missions lately. There engineering skill lets you change parts, and eventually add more parts to other parts (there's a limit, but everything will have wings full of guns) that was way better than other skills once you got it skilled-up. Or you could be a rockstar. I think the plot for your character was also randomly generated. It's a wild game for just messing around in.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 08, 2019, 08:05:28 am »

There's a limit (sorta) in GH2. GH1 the only real limit was if you could survive piloting it. If you had the skills and wanted a mech with fifty heads, you could have a mech with fifty heads.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 17, 2019, 08:50:06 pm »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 17, 2019, 10:44:36 pm »

As someone who has no idea what ScummVM is, what's the issue?

EDIT: Ah. Finally got to the actual part that you mentioned.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 20, 2019, 06:00:05 pm »

As i was thinking about starting with a random club on a low division on the free and always great championship manager 01/02 , i also noticed that for those that want to mod their game to current days, the October 2019 update is now available :
https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13213

rather impressive piece of work.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:29 pm »

Aalways great championship manager 01/02

Any thoughts on the best patch to use for this, tapani, saturn, none, ?  I feel a bit lost.   ???

(I'm going to redo my wine-based install anyways since I went with a windows 7, 64-bit prefix and it looks like XP, 32-bit is the better fit - although it may well not matter.)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 21, 2019, 09:39:38 pm »

For my CM0102 (patched in 3.9.68) I use the Nick+Co's CM0102Patcher :
https://champman0102.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11661

I don't know if Saturn has a version yet ready for the latest data update (as he also require his own modified data update to go with his patch)

Mostly because of the improved idle cpu sensitivity code patch (that unlike older patches like Tapani do not break a bit money bidding navigation in the transfer screen)

On the patcher option i do not enable a changed starting year (as i sometime read that some starting year may lead to trouble), but maybe it can work nowadays.
Patched like this i have 2 CM0102 installs (one with the October 2019 data update and one with thehuge original 2001 database rework ) and have no problem so far (still in my first season on clubs on lowest divisions).

I also keep the game resolution by default ( 800x600 )
I don't know how it is with Wine, but on my window 10 in order to play CM0102 windowed i need to have the cm0102.exe set to "Window XP SP2 compatibility" and has the executable override High DPI  (right click on executable  Compatibility tab -> Change high DPI settings -> Check  Override high DPI ) to avoid problems (as i have my window 10 text display scaling set to 125% , if one let it to default 100% this overrided high dpi may not be required)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:49:30 pm by Robsoie »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 22, 2019, 02:34:58 am »

I have a soft spot for this one old-as-shit MMO, RPG World Online. Turns out the guy has not been idle over the past decade. His new game is Guild Vale.

Can't vouch for its quality but I'll assume it's as grindy and addictive and fugly as his first several games.
Good luck finding any info or screenshots of it through Google, considering the word "Vale" has apparently been used at least once in Guild Wars.
Hate it when that sort of thing happens.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2019, 05:24:55 am »

I have a soft spot for this one old-as-shit MMO, RPG World Online. Turns out the guy has not been idle over the past decade. His new game is Guild Vale.

Can't vouch for its quality but I'll assume it's as grindy and addictive and fugly as his first several games.
Good luck finding any info or screenshots of it through Google, considering the word "Vale" has apparently been used at least once in Guild Wars.
Hate it when that sort of thing happens.

Digging around the actual forums there, it's essentially a new version of RPGWO. Apparently, the developer thought a new name was necessary because of a naming conflict with another game.

Also played RPGWO. I think one of the moderators/admins once complimented me on how I arranged some flower bushes.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 23, 2019, 04:49:47 am »

Picked up mindustry on a whim. It's a tower defense game + a factorio-lite game attached where you build a factory to construct materials to create towers and ammo for them.

The main gameplay loop is that you drop down onto a map with your pod which acts as the core in other tower defense games - lose it and you lose the game. The objective is to survive an unlimited(?) number of increasingly difficult waves while loading resources into the pod. Every 10 waves or so (depends on the map) you can launch your pod into space which ends the map, but adds all collected resources into your central pool. You then use the resources to unlock new buildings, add them to your pod to give you a head start on the next map, or horde them forever for later.

The maps are all premade, though the landing location and direction enemies come from is semi-random which stops it from getting too repetitive. You unlock new maps by unlocking specific technologies and surviving a set number of waves on the earlier maps. There's 12 (iirc) maps in total, and so far they've all been fairly different from each other with different challenges. The game also has a mapmaker tool and steam workshop support, so you can download fan maps if you get bored of the included official maps.

The factory building is much simpler than factorio, don't expect to spend hours calcuating production ratios and optimizing things to work 2% better. However it's still complicated enough, especially when combined with the increased time pressure to hold my interest. It also has some interesting features like different ammo types for turrets - the basic AA turret loaded with lead shoots high damage single target slugs, but loaded with scrap becomes an AoE flak turret for example. You can also build your own units to fight the enemy, or even unlock buildings that let you transform into different mechs to fight the enemies directly.

It also has multiplayer with co-op, which I've tried and works mostly fine aside from some minor desync issues. There's also a PvP mode of some sort though I haven't tried it so I don't know how it works or if it's any good.

Anyway I think it's a lot of fun. It's also only $6 which is really kind of a steal. If you just want to give it a try I think you can get it for free (or rather "pay whatever you want including $0) from the developer's itch site but it's totally worth the low price to support the developer, plus get steamworks multiplayer and steam workshop support.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 04:51:27 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 23, 2019, 07:03:41 am »

It's pretty great, yeah. And yes, you can 'pay whatever, including nothing' on their main site. Still seeing updates, too! It's a nice little game.

There's also a mobile version, for what it's worth. Both for the fancier new one and an older version that's less fancy. Trying to play on a touch screen is complete ass, though. Waaaay harder to work with than mouse+keyboard.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 23, 2019, 07:31:41 am »

I have the mobile version! Not sure if it's the "fancy" or "less-fancy" edition.
Only played it a couple of times, though. Partially due to the touchscreen controls being a pain, IIRC.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 23, 2019, 07:43:55 am »

Less fancy doesn't have a tech tree, iirc. Fewer turrets, too, I think. Overall a bit simpler, and I want to say the controls were actually a bit more forgiving, possibly just due to there being less moving parts to fiddle with. Been a while since I played it, but that version I could actually tolerate the controls for on my tablet. Not so the more developed one. The fancier ones damn solid with a proper control interface, tho'. Touch screen/tablet stuff just ain't that interface.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 23, 2019, 12:51:54 pm »

just found out that Planet Explorers went free due to a technical issue. something about their server systems becoming obsolete so they now only monetize the soundtrack pack. the game is free but apparently there's plans for a sequel starting next year, backers and the people who paid for the game will be able to check the alpha or something like that.

also discovered that there's a remake of Starflight in the works and a Starflight 3 that tried to make a crowdfunding campaign but it didnt lift off so development will probable take a while. never heard of this one but it seems to be an interesting title similar to Star Control (which i also never played before)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 166