Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283839 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #540 on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:36 am »

Well, they only have to make the game slightly engaging in any way and they will certainly have outperformed Surviving Mars
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 26, 2019, 08:59:17 am »

make the game slightly engaging in any way
I kinda feel like this is asking a lot, to be fair...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 26, 2019, 11:35:57 am »

Not if they take a more "Dune" (original RTS game) approach;

Instead of rival houses on Arrakis, you have rival corporations on Mars, all vying to have the best possible media coverage, and to spoon as much FUD on the other contenders, all for those extremely lucrative launch contracts for satellites and military asset orbits.

See, much more interesting than "Let's study this rock! ooooh! It contains-- HYDRATED FELDSPAR!"  (Unless you are planetary geologist, that is not going to be exciting.)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #543 on: November 26, 2019, 12:33:21 pm »

Better Surviving Mars than Mars Simulation Project.
I love that the Mars Sim team is trying to be highly accurate, but man is it dry.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 26, 2019, 12:46:55 pm »

I love that the Mars Sim team is trying to be highly accurate, but man is it dry.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-confirms-evidence-that-liquid-water-flows-on-today-s-mars/

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 26, 2019, 04:56:20 pm »

...I think I tried that out, actually. First thing to happen was a 2-man crew took a buggy out on a research mission, but were getting low on supplies when the buggy broke down a fair distance away from base.

Couple others tried launching a rescue and recovery mission, but that's when a storm kicked up and they had to cancel. By the time things settled down enough to get another buggy out there... Well... There wasn't much left to save.

They just... They just sat out there and died. On their first mission. Dry drowning. At least they had each other in their last moments...

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 27, 2019, 01:36:22 am »

How do you even get Mars Simulation project to work?

I've tried every java version publically available, even SDK kits.

And my java variables work and are set properly. Except, it keeps saying it can't open mars-sim-main-3.1.0-b1.jar and when I try running the batch file it just opens and closes right away, but if I drag it into command prompt window it gives that error of opening the jar file that I listed. And if I try to open mars sim main, it says JNI error no matter what java version I have.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 27, 2019, 02:08:15 am »

I've been trying for so long to get mars Simulator project to work. When I first heard about it a month or two ago, I spent 38 hours trying to fix it. I stayed up 24 hours the first day to get it to work. It just won't work for me. How are you all able to play it? Or is it just not playable on windows 10? I'm getting a sense its unplayable on windows 10.

That or it uses old java no longer available...which would be complete BS. If thats the case, they should make old java available to download. But on the readme, it says JDK 11 for the most recent version. I got that, but it still gives that same stupid error. It also says JRE 11, which must be different than SDK? But JRE 11 isn't available anymore at all, and not going to some shady site that is anything but the official site for my java lol. But I tried the newest Java, and that still didn't work and that is only one they have for download. At least they have older JDKs archived...but I've tried every single java combination you can think of from the oracle website and not a single one has worked.

Its getting really annoying. I've already spent 3 hours tonight trying to get it to work and its not working. I actually thought no one would be able to play, but doesn't seem to be the case.

(edit: Well I found this

https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/issues/236

and this https://github.com/mars-sim/mars-sim/releases

I got openJDK 11 and it gives same error as oracle JDK 11. Both have same exact error, except its a new error "Error: unable to access jar file"

finally after 50 hours of trying to get the sim to work, its a new error! Progress lol

(edit: I made a github account and posted my issue there. Hopefully someone can help. Except it took me 5 minutes literally to pass the github security pass thing to check for bots lol.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:47:07 am by Trolldefender99 »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 27, 2019, 02:58:26 am »

Is the .jar broken?

Is it REALLY a .jar?  (Not a tar.gz in disguise?)

Does the MD5sum match?

Etc...

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:56 am »

This is most recent

5162_swing_java11.jar

Supposedly you are supposed to unpack that? Not sure. I unpacked it though, and it gave same error as before. It too had a batch file in there...and that batch file gives same error but different file

Error: Unable to access jarfile jars/mars-sim-headless-3.1.0-b2.jar
Exit Code = 1

(edit: Here is the full error, I'll put in the github issue I put up

java -jar C:\5162_swing_java11.jar
Command: "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-11.0.2\bin\java" -Djava.util.logging.config.file=logging.properties -cp .;*;jars\* org.mars_sim.main.MarsProject -Xms256m -Xmx1536m -new
Error: Could not find or load main class org.mars_sim.main.MarsProject
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mars_sim.main.MarsProject
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:09:21 am by Trolldefender99 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 27, 2019, 03:33:30 am »

Yeah, I have no idea if it works on 10, my experience with it was many, many years ago. I think that might actually have been on the XP machine.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 27, 2019, 05:02:18 am »

...I think I tried that out, actually. First thing to happen was a 2-man crew took a buggy out on a research mission, but were getting low on supplies when the buggy broke down a fair distance away from base.

Couple others tried launching a rescue and recovery mission, but that's when a storm kicked up and they had to cancel. By the time things settled down enough to get another buggy out there... Well... There wasn't much left to save.

They just... They just sat out there and died. On their first mission. Dry drowning. At least they had each other in their last moments...

They should have spammed you with SOS messages

In the end all you should get should have been a "...please..."
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 27, 2019, 08:56:28 am »

Aw, c'mon. Even you won't acknowledge my bad joke?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #553 on: November 27, 2019, 10:33:10 am »

It was what you say, and deserved its fate. :P

Also, pleasantly surprised by the amount of attention my off-hand remark has garnered. :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:37:58 am by n9103 »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 27, 2019, 10:33:35 am »

Aw, c'mon. Even you won't acknowledge my bad joke?

It was too dry; you made Mars' water disappear again.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 166