Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 166

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 283881 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2019, 12:25:35 pm »

I think I know what the problem is with Mars-Simulator.

The batch file looks like this inside.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
call java -jar /jars/mars-sim-main-3.1.0-b1.jar new
echo Exit Code = %ERRORLEVEL%
if "%ERRORLEVEL%" == "1" exit /B 1

It SHOULD look like this inside

@echo off
call java -jar ./jars/mars-sim-main-3.1.0-b1.jar new
echo Exit Code = %ERRORLEVEL%
if "%ERRORLEVEL%" == "1" exit /B 1

It is missing the preceding period on the relative path syntax. Without it, windows tries to treat it like a hard path-- and naturally, Java can't follow it.

In my case though, it complains about needing a newer version of the java virtual machine.

C:\MarsProject_3.1.0-b1_java9_batch>mars-sim
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/mars_sim/main/MarsProjectStarter has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 53.0), this version of the J
ava Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)
Exit Code = 1

So, the answer to the "Cannot find JAR" error is that they did not put a proper relative path statement in their batch file.  A simple 1 character change fixes it.  Add a preceding period.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2019, 12:57:06 pm »

Yup.

Needs Java 9.  Works fine now.  Needs the preceding period. It will solve all your problems.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2019, 02:09:04 pm »

It works! After so much time...and its one single little punctuation that works lol. I'm using version 5162 found on their github which is newer and uses Java 11, but it required the same thing.

Also for anyone else who is playing on mars sim github version, you need THIS version of java

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk11-downloads-5066655.html

And get the .exe not anything else or it won't work. No other version works either, it can't be JDK 11 version 11.04 it has to be 11.05

This has been the hardest game I ever did to try to get to work lol.

Thanks for getting it all fixed :) its really finicky sim with getting it setup.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:49:34 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 02, 2019, 12:25:55 am »

So Gods of the Fallen Land is pretty neat. Actiony city builder/tower defense that seems pretty brutally hard, but largely in a good way. You got your hero unit, base villagers you entice with free housing, run through other buildings to turn into other stuff, walls and some defensive stuff, an okay spread of buildings, so on and so forth. You turn your dudes into your army 'cause towers alone aren't going to cut it even if you entice artillery ghosts from the gods and build your own golem deathbots and they're all going to die okay, they're going to die all of them.

Because then you have dozens and dozens and dozens of skeletons and then more and more stuff trying to murder you and throwing projectiles at you and stomping up into your grill with building-sized golems and shit gets pretty hectic also after a few days of getting into the swing of things other shit starts happening and the day time stops being a time of relative rest and... just, look. It's nice and mean, both.

Game's doing a lot of things right, check it out. Also your starting item builds defensive towers, use them like immediately. Towers alone won't really work but they'll help a hell of a lot. Probably hunt down shrines -- not sure about the other ones but the food one can give you the aforementioned artillery ghosts and they can make the early game wwaaaaaaaaaaay easier because they throw around lightning and cluster fireballs and basically just kick all sorts of ass versus the initial skeletons and friends waves. Then the later stuff comes in and they die so don't get too attached (to them, or anything else).

... anyway it's on steam, itch.io, maybe other places. Currently going for about five bucks. I just burnt through the refund period in one go so I'ma go to bed now. Might be the best purchase I made this sale, tho' :P

E: Oh, and if you do try it and run into technical difficulties, check out the steam discussion whatsit. There's some known issues that can crop up with some hardware, and some solutions. I had trouble myself, but fixed it up fairly painlessly (just had to force the program to actually use the graphics card, more or less).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:33:52 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 02, 2019, 03:28:42 pm »

Does anyone have star zoo with the dll? The forum download link didn't come with a dll, or it wasn't recognized by windows 10.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2019, 09:56:35 pm »

Sweet hell the boss fights in Gods of the Fallen Land are goddamn amazing. Seriously, if you got like five bucks drop it on that game because there is a five dollar payoff in those alone, nevermind the rest of it. I'm having like a tiny gaming orgasm or something coming out of those fights :D
Ask not!
Ask!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2019, 11:28:24 pm »

Does anyone have star zoo with the dll? The forum download link didn't come with a dll, or it wasn't recognized by windows 10.
You mean This File? The one in giant bold letters at the top of the download page for the various curses games that Our Great Amphibious Lord wrote? The one with its own topic already (that was admittedly necro'd recently) :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:30:04 pm by n9103 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 03, 2019, 11:54:51 pm »

*flails about* have now seen the other (?, there may be more than two) ending for God of the Fallen Land. Once again, game basically goddamn nails the theme it's going for, a sort of creeping corruption siege that slowly worsens until the very end where you're only barely hanging on as you hit the victory condition. Like, I'm not sure how much replay value it's going to have, but it's easily one of the best designed games I think I've ever played in regards to theme, general aesthetic, pacing and so forth. I don't know how intentional it all is but regardless it's stupidly fucking good in myriad ways, especially for its price.
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 04, 2019, 12:30:44 am »

I had heard of Neverwinter Nights getting the "Enhanced Edition" treatment from Beamdog, but I didn't know until today that it's coming to consoles as well as PC. I don't care much for NWN, but I'm still curious to check it out.

Maybe after this they can update the Gold Box games, remake the AOL Neverwinter Nights, and give me a pretty pink unicorn and a Lamborghini with flame stickers.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 04, 2019, 08:40:01 am »

I had heard of Neverwinter Nights getting the "Enhanced Edition" treatment from Beamdog, but I didn't know until today that it's coming to consoles as well as PC. I don't care much for NWN, but I'm still curious to check it out.

Maybe after this they can update the Gold Box games, remake the AOL Neverwinter Nights, and give me a pretty pink unicorn and a Lamborghini with flame stickers.

Did the BG Enhanced Editions do that well? From what I heard, it was the same as adding a graphics mod and a few of the lower-end fan-made character mods. I'm guessing it was more than that, but also worth significantly less than they were charging for it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 04, 2019, 01:52:57 pm »

It's mostly compatibility stuff, like making multiplayer actually somewhat approachable instead of some bizarre Hamachi-fueled nightmare (not to mention just getting it to run on modern machines and modern resolutions), a little UI touch-up, a few balance tweaks and some new spells/classes and whatnot...

...and the god-fucking-damn dumbass fully voiced fanmade characters who have a disgusting amount of work put into whole new side campaigns based entirely around them. Almost as disgusting as the characters themselves are.

And Wilson. Don't forget Wilson. Wilson makes it all better again.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2019, 07:14:26 am »

Recently picked up Nova Drift. Early access twin stick shooter with a pretty neat upgrade/leveling system akin to a roguelite where you keep stacking various mods and buffs on top of each other to get some stupidly powerful builds, while having a meta progress that unlocks different stuff like more rerolls of offered mods on level up, different mod trees, new weapons or ships, game modes, etc.

The graphics are simple and effective and the gameplay is smooth and fairly polished, seems the only thing they're adding now is more stuff like game modes and mod/weapon/ship choices. It's fairly cheap and a good pickup if you're craving some twin stick shmup action. Runs don't take long for the most part and it can be played in short bursts.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 06, 2019, 08:57:15 am »

Checking vids, is it actually twinstick or more like astroids in terms of movement? Strafing et al doesn't seem to be a thing. It looks like the latter, and while it looks interesting I kinda' hate that movement schema with a passion :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 06, 2019, 09:15:58 am »

Checking vids, is it actually twinstick or more like astroids in terms of movement? Strafing et al doesn't seem to be a thing. It looks like the latter, and while it looks interesting I kinda' hate that movement schema with a passion :P

Asteroids. The dev has made their position on the matter very firmly.

There is, evidently, a mouse-facing control scheme, but it's still very much fire-forward, thrust-forward. Bleh.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 06, 2019, 09:36:58 am »

Bleh indeed. Call me when someone makes the same game without the clumsy control scheme, heh.

Though if the facing is at least mouse controlled that's not as bad as it could be. Probably wouldn't call it twin stick, tho'.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 166