Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 294363 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #915 on: August 04, 2020, 05:37:30 am »

Holy crab, I just stumbled across an upcoming game called Bomb Rush Cyberfunk.   
I don't really know where the "bomb" part comes into it, but it basically looks like a homage to Jet Set Radio (Future), complete with the high-speed graffiti and gorgeous, melt-in-your-mouth cel-shaded graphics. There don't seem to be rollerblades, though, but from what I've seen in the very short trailer and smattering of screenshots it looks like people are happily grinding and manual-ing their way around the place regardless.   
Who cares, it's the future, everyone's probably made out of metal or something I don't know.   

In any case, I'm pretty stoked about this. I kinda missed the boat on the Dreamcast (even though one of my brothers had one... I might have one or two very hazy memories of playing it, what with its memorably weird controller) but I had a lot of fun with Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox.   
Gonna keep an eye on this for sure, though it probably won't be out for a while.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 04, 2020, 01:56:45 pm »

Blasphemous just dropped a free DLC, that adds new game +, challenge modes, new bosses, revamped abilities, overhauled map, fast travel, more story...Joyful be the heart, penitent one.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 09, 2020, 02:57:52 pm »

Riftbreaker released a prologue/demo thing on Steam recently. About half an hour of gameplay, maybe more if you mess around with it, showing off the core gameplay loops you might expect in the finished game. And I gotta say, thing is pretty damn fun. Base building is nice and simple but still has enough going on that it's not just a throwaway part of gameplay. The meat of it tho, the mech suit combat is damn slick, multiple weapons to choose from and customize, super satisfying animations and gibs and literal zerg hordes of enemies to burn/explode/laser/machinegun/sword to death.

Definitely  recommended if you want a fresh fusion of base building and twin stick combat.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 12, 2020, 04:51:10 pm »

Doublepost because I got a question. Foxhole is on sale atm, ~10 eurobucks or so. Anyone here play it? Seems to have been going fairly decently for the past however long it's been out, even had a big update recently.

Any of you folks played it? Anyone have anything good to say about it? I'm in no place to be starting up another potential timesink but eh, at that price even a couple of hours of fun don't seem like a bad deal, I've certainly paid more for games I've played less :V
AS - IG

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 12, 2020, 07:18:48 pm »

Two years ago, I played a few minutes according to my stats.

It's not that I didn't like it, I just don't have to social skills needed for it. I am way too anti-social.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 13, 2020, 03:57:32 am »

Yeah, I like the idea on paper, but I've had plenty of experience with team focused games to make me really wary of it. If only there was a single player mode or something, kind of like running with rifles does it.
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 13, 2020, 12:31:38 pm »

I tried it once, briefly, not sure if I bought it or got a free copy somehow.   
Nor am I sure quite why I didn't get into it. Seemed a bit overwhelming, I guess? I don't remember, I know I played for a little while but I don't think it was very engaging. I know there was a lot of totally unrelated discussion going on amongst my team through some kind of area chat, haha.   
Might be more fun to jump in and learn it alongside a bunch of (also new) friends. It also might be a very different game by now, too.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 19, 2020, 08:35:19 am »

Phwoar, I just stumbled across an upcoming Necromunda game on Steam.   
It's slated for early September. It looks pretty sweet, but I guess we'll wait and see. I never did get to play actual Necromunda... at least Mordheim I got to play a couple of casual games of. This looks like (from the short trailer at least) it does a better job of nailing Necromunda's aesthetic, if you ask me at least.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 19, 2020, 09:28:29 am »

I was not wild about the look of the character models and what not. But yeah, Necromunda! Feelings were kinda mixed about the Mordheim game they made. I really liked it but it was a little clunky. Hoping they learned some stuff from making Mordheim and Necromunda is overall a better game.

Ah I see they have actual gameplay footage now. Yeah, it's looking _a lot_ nicer than Mordehim.

If I have one critique, it's looks a little less "Necromunda" and a little more "Mad Max."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 09:32:42 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 19, 2020, 10:58:04 am »

Well, I'm assuming (might be a dangerous assumption) that there are only one or two different gang types shown in the trailer. I never played the game or owned a rulebook or whatever but I do remember them being a fair few distinct looks - some more Mad Max-y than others, perhaps. And then there are the bald trench coat dudes.   

I only watched the trailer, so I'm gonna take the hella cool gameplay shown therein with a grain of salt. Are there more informative gameplay videos doing the rounds? I didn't actually look further than the Steam store page, haha.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 19, 2020, 11:39:35 am »

No, it's gameplay footage interspersed with cinematic footage in the other videos pretty much.

The two canon gangs shown are Escher and Goliath, but there are lots of other gangs that definitely have a different look. I was always partial to Cawdor myself.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 19, 2020, 11:43:42 am »

From their website and their blogs on Steam it looks like there'll three gangs: Escher, Goliath, and Orlock. I'm sure others will be inevitably added as DLC.

Mordheim somehow became my third most played game on Steam (its a really good game to listen to podcasts while playing), so I'm pretty happy to hear Necromunda has a release date. Although I'm not sure how much variety Necromunda is going to have. Mordheim had the advantage of having a bunch of radically different factions with Skaven, Chaos, and Undead warbands.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:46:52 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 19, 2020, 01:54:38 pm »

Yeah but when you got down to brass tacks, most of the differences between the Warbands in Mordheim: City of the Damned was cosmetic. Yeah, Skaven had some Skaven only weapons, each Warband generally had a few unique skills, each Warband had its own flavor of Monster Unit and Spellcaster...but other than that they were largely the same.

Come to think of it, I don't really remember much about Necromunda table top, what set the gangs apart from each other besides their backstories and what skill trees they were allowed to buy from.

But Underhive War seems to be really leveraging the cosmetic customization, way more than Mordheim did, so I'm sure that along with a story campaign for each gang will make the difference.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 19, 2020, 02:26:22 pm »

I definitely agree most of the differences between warbands were cosmetic (or based on what weapons they had access to), but the differences that weren't cosmetic were usually enough. Chaos heroes having weird mutations, Undead having zombies die not affect morale, and Skaven having greater move speeds weren't huge changes, but they did make fighting those warbands feel different.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 24, 2020, 07:00:41 pm »

Toyed a bit with the gog free offer of the first Serious Sam and was pleasantly surprised that it aged well enough, oh not graphically obviously but the action is still fun.

Just be sure, if you never played Serious Sam before to never play in the single player menu the "Training".

Training was in fact the level from original demo of the game and already at the time the demo made a horrible job at showing where the fun is actually in the game, the demo had terribly bad level design and very boring gameplay (rooms were all giant open space with only a couple of enemies spawning at a time, out of a few rooms in which much more will spawn fortunately), just start to play into the game campaign itself the maps are a -very- lot better designed and paced for action packed fun than the demo was.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 167