Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300521 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #930 on: August 27, 2020, 10:44:53 am »

Serious Sam is great.  My hot take is that the modern Doom is more of a spiritual successor to Serious Sam than Doom.

Also, Ruinarch early access is out.  Might deserve its own thread, considering we were one of the main hubs for That Which Sleeps, which Ruinarch has some thematic similarities to.  It's not really similar gameplay-wise, the joke (which is very accurate) is that it's basically Rimworld where you play as Randy Random.  You place your portal in a small, randomly generated map with a town, some of the later ones have multiple connected maps and multiple towns, the most people I've seen on a map was 25 in one huge town.

You've got spells, demons, various stuff, and your goal is to kill everybody.  There's very little structure at the moment, you have lots of options for killing people and as it stands the game is basically just a sandbox where you make your own fun.  You can easily just blow everybody up and kill them that way, but that's not really very fun.  NPCs have character classes and various traits, and you can manipulate people's traits to give them bad ones, ranging from stuff like being easily angered to vampirism, zombie virus, serial killers, etc.  If you play your cards right you can get everybody killing each other over real and imagined crimes (there's a building called the Eye that gives you an event log and lets you store and reveal lines from it to people, e.g. you get a married villager to cheat on his wife and then tell the wife about it).

In practice not much about it works yet.  The monsters you have are mostly useless, even your demons will lose 1v1 to a villager.  You can brainwash cultists but it doesn't accomplish much.  Spells can wipe the village out easy, but that's not fun.  Have never seen zombies or plague work well, since the monsters are so weak the zombies just die and maybe infect one person, leading to more of a slow chain of infections rather than exponential takeoff apocalypse.  Right now I'd say it's not a buy.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 27, 2020, 12:30:40 pm »

Funny, I just got done playing my first two hours of it.   
Probably agree with the "not a buy" part, but I had a bit of fun. It doesn't really accomplish much, but finding new and unusual ways to torment villagers is pretty satisfying. Oh, and amusingly enough, the 'reversed Rimworld' comparison was one of the first things that occurred to me, haha. You can be in control of people's extreme mental breaks.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 29, 2020, 12:20:23 pm »

So Control is out on Steam, was debating getting on the EGS for a while now, but the shittiness of the platform kinda put me off for the most part. In comes the Steam release with all the DLC and a discount. Paying 40ish € for a AAA game with two DLC's seems like a damn steal tbh.

Well worth the price tho if you're into third person shooters set in a pretty great mix of X-Files and SCP.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 29, 2020, 03:26:27 pm »

Picked up a game that's still in early access on Steam called Gordian Quest. It's...kind of like a cross between Darkest Dungeon, Slay the Spire, and Diablo. You have a party of 3 adventurers, each having their own deck (like StS), as well as a whole host of item slots that you can equip them with. Varying bonuses and item rarity, a la Diablo.

Combat is a pretty decent grid set up, with abilities often triggering off of rows or lanes as well as individual spots. The flow is good and there is a ton of interaction between various cards and characters, plus lots of summons and stuff depending on what characters you use.

I am trying it first on Normal and it's...stupidly easy. So I will definitely do a harder run next time. But it's been good for learning the mechanics, and it looks like you open more options with the characters after you finish an Act with them.

Length seems good. Still in Act 1 after 5 hours, and looks like there will be quite a few acts eventually. Only 2 implemented so far (Early Access and all), but I've probably already gotten my money's worth on the game.

Overall, I'd say it's worth playing even as in (at least for $15 on sale) and should definitely be worth it for the final game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 29, 2020, 08:44:05 pm »

So Control is out on Steam, was debating getting on the EGS for a while now, but the shittiness of the platform kinda put me off for the most part. In comes the Steam release with all the DLC and a discount. Paying 40ish € for a AAA game with two DLC's seems like a damn steal tbh.

Well worth the price tho if you're into third person shooters set in a pretty great mix of X-Files and SCP.

The lore, aesthetics, etc. of control are fantastic, the gameplay is boring as hell and feels like something from the PS2 era. 
Shoes...

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 31, 2020, 02:10:24 pm »

Yandere Simulator demo is finished. That's great, i guess.
EDIT: There are still two empty rooms, kill animation still can clip trough walls and i still don't know what to do besides randomly killing people, nevermind how to fire up tutorial. Meh.  :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 03:52:16 pm by MCreeper »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 02, 2020, 08:36:22 am »

The lore, aesthetics, etc. of control are fantastic, the gameplay is boring as hell and feels like something from the PS2 era.

Having played trough most of it now, yeah I gotta agree somewhat. It's mainly the gunplay I think, none of them feel good or effective to use, the only powerful ones are the rocket and sniper variants, but those are super clunky to use. Luckily the combat is somewhat salvaged by the sheer glee of tossing shit around and smacking people with chunks of rock, bits of office or other people. I'd also love it if they leaned a bit more on some of the weirder puzzle stuff that some of the objects have, figuring that shit out was pretty fun most of the time.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 04, 2020, 05:53:01 am »

(So this game does have its own thread, but it's 6 year old and probably not worth resurrecting)
I've been having fun with a neat little roguelike (a proper one, none of that lite shit) called Approaching Infinity. It's a bit like Prospector, in so far as you're flying a spaceship and landing on planets. It's perhaps less polished, but the development seems to have picked up pace since the game went on steam.
There's officers with classes and experience, artefacts, ship boarding and spelunking. Permadeath is toggleable; but when on the game does scratch that roguelike itch.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 06, 2020, 03:08:26 pm »

Having played trough most of it now, yeah I gotta agree somewhat. It's mainly the gunplay I think, none of them feel good or effective to use, the only powerful ones are the rocket and sniper variants, but those are super clunky to use. Luckily the combat is somewhat salvaged by the sheer glee of tossing shit around and smacking people with chunks of rock, bits of office or other people. I'd also love it if they leaned a bit more on some of the weirder puzzle stuff that some of the objects have, figuring that shit out was pretty fun most of the time.

It's one of the most frustrating games I've seen lately, because everything but the gameplay really is great.  It reminds me a lot of the secret world, which was an MMO.  It has a similar writing style, the Hiss reminds me a lot of the Filth, malevolent information leakage from some other reality.  I also really love the hiss ambience, it reminds me of hypnagogic hallucination, when you're super tired in bed and you can hear people endlessly talking, just outside the boundary of conscious thought. 
Shoes...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 08, 2020, 09:58:32 pm »

I've been chasing my white whale and bought into another open world crafty fighty thing that came out a couple of days ago, Craftopia. It's probably going to end up alright but it's not quite there yet.

It's extremely early access and Engrish abounds. Performance is also poo and I've had to drop my resolution to sub-720p to get a vaguely playable experience, though I'll say both of those are partly due to the device I'm using. I should put some work into getting my "gaming" rig functional again.

In any case, it looks great but has few configuration options to tone it down. I couldn't force myself to play mere minutes past talking to all of the tutorial people who lined up for you on your island.

Story's weird, though. If you're into the absurd, take a look. The game opens to a white screen that has a red button on it. You push the button, bombs go off, the world gets destroyed. Some pointy-eared angel thing tells you that you destroyed the world but the god of everything is going to allow you to be one of the first to set foot on Craftopia, which you get to build up from scratch.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 09, 2020, 01:55:07 pm »

As Far As The Eye is... weird, but in a good way. Imagine playing Civilization, if the entire thing was a puzzle game of staring at the city worker screen. No, really.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 12, 2020, 09:05:05 pm »

Iīm tempted to dig out Rol Crusaders out of some abandonware site and give it a try. I remember playing it a long, long time ago... never got very far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUJsi3i1N3M
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 20, 2020, 09:47:05 am »

There finally are good skating simulations for the pc, I think skater xl is overpriced and very barebones I refunded it. But I'm loving session, manual catch, manual release the whole hardcore shabang feels so rewarding. The game is half the price and far from considered finished. Now it's true it has some glitches, but if you like skating, have a look at it at the next steam sales before it gets a proper release, I bet you could make an absolute steal.

Next I want a decent UFC game for PC then I'm all set on sport games for years.
let

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 21, 2020, 07:20:08 pm »

So apparently that Songs of Syx game is out on early access for steam.
Also they have an itchio thing if you prefer buying elsewhere.  Plus you can get the demo there.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #944 on: September 21, 2020, 10:15:09 pm »

The demo is also on steam. It's on the right above the languages box.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 168