Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 167

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 295744 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1860 on: August 17, 2022, 08:49:36 pm »

I agree that the aging process in CotL needs to be slowed down some. I named my initial cultists after Discord buddies, but before long they started dying off one after another and I ran out of buddies.

Maybe if they aged a "year" every two days, or had an average lifespan of 60 years before hitting Old rather than 40, it'd be more bearable.

I think quite a few things in the game are over-tuned. And I think that goes along with the pace the game is trying to set. Like, I feel like you blaze through the Lamb's tech tree and commandments because there's SO MANY sources of faith and divine inspiration, just taking a little time off from dungeoneering gets you tons of upgrades. I really like CotL but I would take most of the systems at 20% slower speed. People don't age so fast, you aren't unlocking something new every single day and you're not "having" to go collect divine inspiration 3 to 4 times a day, not even bothering to assign anyone to actually worshiping. It's part of what gives the game its pacing and it's still pretty fun. But it's more on the twitchy side of the spectrum versus the chillaxed one. The only cultists I even deign to remember anymore or check up on what they've been up to are the ones I gave (what seems like the Eternal Life necklace) to. My first cultist got one and he's in his 90s now and still hasn't aged into the olds yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: August 17, 2022, 08:54:34 pm »

Can't say I disagree honestly. It's got the ingredients of a great game but the cult management aspects could stand to be slowed down in all aspects. This would not only allow players to connect with cultists before they die off and maybe have more fun with rituals (which also need some expansion; for example, why can't I sacrifice one cultist to grant another improved powers or unnaturally long life?), but also give them more time to do extended deep dungeon runs before they need to run home and take care of things.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: August 18, 2022, 10:14:19 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure how you're supposed to find the time to do these "extended" dungeon runs. It takes at least a full day night cycle to get through a dungeon, and by then most cult aspects need tending to (faith, poop, food, etc...) How you're supposed to be gone for two to three days and not have your cult at zero faith, covered in shit, surrounded by dead bodies and starving is beyond me.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: August 18, 2022, 10:22:40 am »

Well you can build multiple outhouses and prepare extra meals in advance, so that covers part of it. Janitors can help keep any accidents cleaned up while you're gone. Faith decrease definitely hurts though and I haven't found a way to counter it other than going back to tend to the flock.

So far the longest I've been able to be gone is a two-boss dungeon run.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: August 18, 2022, 10:30:55 am »

Food never seems to fill up completely after 12 or so cultists. I've tried to leave extra food out but it doesn't really seem to help? The poop thing is largely manageable. What's not manageable though is old age and death. 2 days is enough time for someone to croak and really fuck up faith for the whole flock.

About the only solution I've found is dose the cult with mushrooms and then immediately go on your excursion, and hope you make it back within two days before the mushrooms wear off.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: August 20, 2022, 03:57:29 am »

Backpack Hero... another pre-release/Steam demo, except this like Luck Be a Landlord: The RPG. Effectively, you've got a Tetris-style inventory, and you're pulling from there to attack, use items, block, etc. The twist here is that your item positioning greatly impacts the effectiveness of an item. Boots benefit from having extra inventory slots above them; helmets must be in the top row, heavy items will drop to the bottom of your bag, etc. A more dramatic example? Cleavers are fairly weak, 1x1 weapons... but there are two rarer variations-- 'When used, use the adjacent above cleaver.' and 'When used, use all adjacent diagonal cleavers.'

Playing the updated EA version, instead of the Itch.io demo...

One of the new classes' basic mechanic is actually really nifty, and I feel like there's an entire game buried in its mechanic alone. (I also feel like I've seen something very similar before, but can't quite place it.)

Though, one thing I do find kind of... almost offensive is that the default post-game endless mode becomes nigh mechanically impossible starting floor 15 or so; a run is officially over after the boss of floor 9.

Part of the problem is that curses (a negative item that you are forced to put into your inventory or take damage) never reset their damage counter-- eventually, they'll 1-shot you, or you'll be RNG'd to death because one particular curse can only be removed my medics, and there's no guarantee you're going to find one... I was running around with 16 inventory slots wasted because of that, but still alive, until...

Poison. I was fighting something that could inflict 23 points of poison a turn, uninterruptable (other than killing them), with 40hp, and poison penetrates all forms of defenses. There's something like ONE weapon that can remove 2 points of poison every time you use it, and a handful of consumables that can remove it all. Except it'll just reapply it next turn, So... yay... Note that there IS specifically an Endless Mode that has no poison or curses, but that doesn't feel right either, since curses are a very reasonable way to screw with the player's carefully constructed inventory... or take a reasonable damage hit. (Maybe let the medic reset the counter.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 04:22:33 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: August 20, 2022, 07:55:49 am »

Picked up Cultist Simulator a little while ago (and while I know there is a thread, I'm not sure if necroing it is the best course of action... especially considering it's still listed as a thread about the Kickstarter for it), and... Well, I have kinda mixed feelings. I've definitely put in a fair amount of time these past days, as it keeps hooking me in and keeping me going for one more expedition, one more dream ritual, one more dream etc... But the focus on exploration and experimentation, I.E. "you don't know shit. Learn by trial and error until you do know shit" combined with the length of some runs makes it so that I end up playing very defensively, which... Can turn into a bit of a slog. I've finally started loosening up a bit about notoriety/hunters (instead of trying to always keep the board clear, leading to incidents where I end up making a grim idealist tenacious mystic enemy for myself), but yeah... There's a certain dip in the midgame that seems to just grind along for a while if you don't want to drown in court cases.

Another weird thing is again related to the same exploration/experimentation aspect... Trying to actually talk about your experiences becomes extremely difficult if you don't want to A) Spoil something for someone, or B) Have something spoiled for you. So that's about as much as I can say.

So now here's some technically kinda spoilery ranting from someone who's had one standard victory and sub-30 hours of faffing around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: August 20, 2022, 10:35:56 am »

(I also feel like I've seen something very similar before, but can't quite place it.)
It's just the old pipes type puzzle game. They've been around for a long time (earliest a half-hearted googling can find is 1989), and have both dedicated games for the mechanic as well as being a common mini-game in other games. Backpack hero has a neat implementation of it going on, but it's definitely not a new idea, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: August 20, 2022, 12:50:33 pm »

I think the CS thread is a fine place to talk about the game since most people that would read it have played and won.

At the end of the day, winning CS comes down to two things in my mind: knowledge (which you largely own forever after your first win or near win) and trawling expeditions to find what you need. Repeated playthroughs of CS, that's what gets me. Where I know what I need and how I need to do it....but I have to run most/all the expeditions to find it.

My first win was Forge and I think it's fairly easy because it doesn't demand much of you in terms of upkeep. Unlike Grail.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: August 20, 2022, 01:49:52 pm »

(I also feel like I've seen something very similar before, but can't quite place it.)
It's just the old pipes type puzzle game. They've been around for a long time (earliest a half-hearted googling can find is 1989), and have both dedicated games for the mechanic as well as being a common mini-game in other games. Backpack hero has a neat implementation of it going on, but it's definitely not a new idea, heh.

I meant specifically as a RPG-esque combat mechanic... similar concepts are common as point-A-to-point-B puzzles (often lockpicking or circuitry), or as another riff on Pipe Dreams's arcade-style play, but I can't quite place where I've seen it as an optimization puzzle.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: August 23, 2022, 04:43:21 am »

Played a few hours into Stasis and i really liked it, the sci-fi horror atmosphere is really well done, the dialogue and voice acting is good and you care about your character misfortune and hope things will go his way. The background sounds are coming along very nicely (or creepily).

Now Stasis follow the classic point&click system : move your mouse everywhere to not only read the description but to find which area of the screen can be interacted with , then find items and find where items can be used (and for a few case which item must be combined with which item) to find your way into new areas.
With said item use sometime being unfortunately not always very obvious , a problem of point&click, like this case that i had to google because i was stuck there :
Spoiler: that example (click to show/hide)

Fortunately the majority of the time the item used are making sense so you don't get stuck for too long on each puzzle situation.

Oh and you can run, thanks to the devs as in a point&click you very often move back&forth between areas to check if some newly discovered item will help with a puzzle , running around really helps to cut the back&forth time

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: August 24, 2022, 02:06:36 pm »

Finally completed STASIS (apparently the name must be all caps) and even if i have played too many point&click games in the past couple of decades so that i now have difficulty ot enjoy them, STASIS was a very good one and i ... enjoyed it .

Only a few times i was completely stuck and needed to google a solution to something blocking me without me seeing how to progress further (most of the time it was in fact me missing an item or a clue/pos-it on some wall/table/monitor prior the area where i was stuck).

It's also a large game, much larger and longer game than the free CAYNE (that is setup in the same universe) that is available on gog too.

And as expected it was very grim and very dark (even more than in CAYNE, that had its share of it), even the ending was making sure to kill any hope you had at finally getting out of the grim and the dark.
Unlike CAYNE in STASIS there's no joke (in CAYNE sometime despite her horrible condition and situation Hayley still made some jokes to try to cope with the horror) as John from the start is in a very bad condition and things go worse and worse until the ending that is in the "things always get worse" that is the STASIS universe constant :D

Anyways, if you're looking for a good point&click adventure i very heavily recommended it ,  BUT i must say that it is not for the faint of heart or people that have some depressive mood, because the setting is really "scifi horror" + "grim" + "dark" + "things get worse" + "there's never any hope" .
Oh and about the events and the ending and some things that seem to make no sense, there's something the dev mentionned but that you may have overlooked during gameplay , i sure overlooked it as i was too focused on solving the various puzzle stuff that were on my way :

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: August 24, 2022, 11:08:50 pm »

Small, nice browser game where you have an orb that you can fill with water and make a small, very simple ecosystem in.

https://orb.farm/

I like to just put it on when I'm in the mood to relax.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: August 25, 2022, 06:06:09 pm »

I've been playing Tower of Fantasy. It's fine for a gacha game, does some things better and others worse than Genshin. It's early in development, which is the only time you want to join a gacha game, usually.

I like the story, a bit, but more the worldbuilding. You get a feeling that the villains have a good point, and there really isn't a correct side who has the power to do anything. The worst parts seem like they were trying to be like Genshin when they shouldn't have, or are a lack of content because the game has been out less than a month.

Small, nice browser game where you have an orb that you can fill with water and make a small, very simple ecosystem in.

https://orb.farm/

I like to just put it on when I'm in the mood to relax.

I'm enjoying it. Stone builds shapes vertically (but falls), and wood just stays wherever you draw it. Everything else falls. And fish eat a lot.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 08:04:07 pm by Iduno »

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: August 25, 2022, 08:07:15 pm »

I haven’t seen a Legends of Runeterra thread yet, but god this game is good. A completely, actually free to play CCG, a way to access League’s lore without having to play League or watch Arcane for the fifth time, incredible graphics and art and basically flawless voice-acting. Pretty good gameplay — diversity of decks and strategies with clever and satisfying play patterns, enough cards that you can keep finding new ideas to put in decks but not too many that you’re doomed not to know half of them. Reasonable balance — better than HS by a long shot, far better than League.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 167