Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Schools  (Read 1027 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Schools
« on: November 24, 2015, 01:28:15 pm »

I remember reading about how back in the Middle Ages, clergy would host a free school of sorts where children were taught to sing songs in Latin.  Since we seem to now be getting into both temples and the performing arts, perhaps we could use those as a starting ground for Dwarven Education?

What I'm proposing is a completely optional setup (as in, not vital to the Fort) where clergy can host lessons at a designated zone, and all children of the fort will gather to learn something almost-but-not-really useless.  In other words, they won't become master metal smiths upon adulthood, but they may have an edge in the arts, social skills, or anything to do with written knowledge.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:35:54 pm by Batgirl1 »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Scools
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 01:40:38 pm »

This would be a simple alternative to the massive schooling/university/apprenticeship arc that you just know would/will take forever if/when Toady implements it.

Love the idea. Could increase stats like discipline too, spare the rod and spoil the child, all that ;)
One wheel short of a wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 01:42:49 pm »

Love the idea. Could increase stats like discipline too, spare the rod and spoil the child, all that ;)
You mean repeating spear-traps in the seating area, with a puppy fountain off to the side?  Yes, that sounds very dwarf school.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 03:41:09 pm »

This would be a simple alternative to the massive schooling/university/apprenticeship arc that you just know would/will take forever if/when Toady implements it.

I'd like to point out, though, that it's not strictly incompatible with those ideas, especially since the free sing-schools of real life were only up to a certain age.  If Toady wanted to, he could add in an age flag after which children, instead of going to the clergy's lessons, got sorted through a more elaborate advanced educational system.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Schools
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:09:15 am »

This could work pretty well with procedurally generated religions. So a religion which includes some sort of yoga would improve physical stats, for example.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »

I'd like to point out, though, that it's not strictly incompatible with those ideas, especially since the free sing-schools of real life were only up to a certain age.  If Toady wanted to, he could add in an age flag after which children, instead of going to the clergy's lessons, got sorted through a more elaborate advanced educational system.

Some countries still divide education in primary and secondary systems: the primary system mostly concerned with equiping its pupils with work skills, and the secondary one was for producing future scholars.
So, yes, enabling the construction of grammar schools and apprenticehships centers could be envisioned.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:56:11 pm »

How would divisions work though? Would dwarves decide by themselves? Would the adults sort children out based on their preferences? Or would adult dwarves decide what their own children will do based on their own ideas so that when they grow up, we get frustrated dwarves who daydream of what their lives could have been like?

There's room for all sorts of interesting developments here but the best way would probably be for the player to decide, the same as now with jobs in general.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 07:58:17 am »

I remember reading about how back in the Middle Ages, clergy would host a free school of sorts where children were taught to sing songs in Latin.  Since we seem to now be getting into both temples and the performing arts, perhaps we could use those as a starting ground for Dwarven Education?

What I'm proposing is a completely optional setup (as in, not vital to the Fort) where clergy can host lessons at a designated zone, and all children of the fort will gather to learn something almost-but-not-really useless.  In other words, they won't become master metal smiths upon adulthood, but they may have an edge in the arts, social skills, or anything to do with written knowledge.

Thoughts?

The problem with this suggestion is that not all civilizations even have gods to start with.  It is quite possible to have a playable civilization that fits into that mold, what you are proposing would thus deprive such a civilization of education.  It also does not make sense as a starting ground, the mechanics in question are better used to add education in general, with religious/clerical education an option for some forts using those general mechanics.