Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Goblin Demon Lord Commeth  (Read 1313 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Goblin Demon Lord Commeth
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:37:58 pm »

So I've done lots of fort mode and very little adventure mode. In a world where I had a few good forts built and retired I decided to try the adventure thing and go find my missing queen and maybe eventually try and slay the only remaining Goblin Demon Lord left in the world. The other one, after slaughtering untold thousands was killed sieging an elven outpost by a giant slug, of all things. But anyways back to my adventure. I just happened to start in one of the forts I built, which was cool because before waging a single fight I scored a complete candy kit and masterwork steel axe. As I started to chat people up though, a few of them have told me that the aforementioned demon is actually on his way to attack this fort right now. I guess I'll get to encounter him sooner rather than later.

I'm just wondering a few things.

1) How long will I have to wait for his sieging army to show up? Will it be days? Months? Years? Ever?
2) I actually had the idea of going back and unretiring the fortress so that I could personally supervise the entire defense, but I wasn't sure if the world-state would hold and if said demon would actually show up. My luck, he would probably show in the interval between abandoning my adventure and unretiring the fort.
3) What can I expect in one of these sieges? I think it would be pretty cool to see one of these thing more from a participant perspective. There should be 20 something legendary Axelords/Spearmasters hanging around all clad in candy. I already tried inviting one to join me on my adventure and he told me that he ought to be leading me around, but really had no use for it so I was out of luck.
4) Can I pull levers that I connected in fort mode. Without omnipresence it would be a little tricky, but still I think I could help, if I can remember which levers connect to what.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin Demon Lord Commeth
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 01:20:58 am »

1. I've never fought off a sieging army but I have escaped a besieged site and accidentally intercepted a marching army. I haven't seen an army take more than a week to reach their destination, but I never knew when they started marching.

2. I doubt that works. I think armies avoid player fortresses that aren't their target.

3. Armies are split into squads of 1 to 10 soldiers that move around separately. If you can take each squad individually then you might be able to fight off the entire army. They also camp each night while marching with each squad getting it's own campsite.

4. I know that levers connected to bridges work in adventure mode. I'm not sure what happens with some of the more complicated stuff.

Good luck! and post your findings please. :)

Edit: There is a special dialog option after spreading the rumor of the marching army that let's you "guide them to safety". You can use this to recruit a bunch of guards as companions regardless of your fame. That might be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:24:44 am by xub313 »

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 06:49:18 am »

Thanks for the input. So far not much has happened. I'm pretty sure that it's been at least a week since I started. The only thing that has happened is that it seems like my fort-dwarves abandoned the site. I was out patrolling around, looking for things to kill and hoping to spot the army before it arrived and when I got back, the fort was empty. So no more recruiting legendary axedwarves to join me, and it looks like I'll be defending the fortress myself. There are still a few merchants loitering around who still tell me that the army of Kesting Something-or-Other is still coming to attack us. We'll see...

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:14 am »

I have situation in my adventure look close to this. But it was in human town, attaced by elves there area lot of nude recruits what can't speak and have n't got names. Also there are bunch of crazy sectants wearing elv-bones craft.
So... your situation look intresting too. Please take more screenshots. I'm intresting to learn more about invaders mechanics in adventure mode

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 12:23:44 pm »

I just spent 12 adventurers fighting off a goblin attack on the human capital. Basically the goblins would charge into the castle and then charge back out. They killed one guy who wasn't the lawgiver, and left everyone else alone. They keep patrolling the markets and castle, and then departing until I go into fast travel mode where I see the little star of a group come back to the town and repeat the process again and again.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 03:53:19 pm »

Unfortunately this hasn't turned into anything epic yet. I hung around for awhile doing patrols around the town and killing off anything I could find. Eventually though I got tired of waiting and running around after Giant Magpie with my axe. The fort was quite isolated, so I'm a ways away now, but happened to find the vault of the Demon, after a few initial forays into it, I've managed to damage the sensory nerve of my axe hand. I'm hoping it will heal, but it doesn't seem like it will. So I have decisions to make. Maybe I'll go without a shield and see how long I last. My damaged arm is only "ability to grasp somewhat impaired. You would think I could still tie a shield on to it. Maybe I'll head back to my starting fort and see where it's at now. I'm still only and adept Axedwarf. Probably was a bit over-zealous wandering into the vault. I made a good showing of myself though and killed on spirit thing and lots of dead attendants.

Edit:Well, I'm back at the fort now and nothing seems to have changed. The only people around are merchants and kids and they keep telling me that Kesting is coming to attack. After more days of patrols, nothing interesting seems to be happening. Just recently a little moving star on the travel map has come and shows up on the Southern side of the fort, but after crisscrossing those tiles, I can't find anything there. Could this somehow be the army that has come, but it's all bugged and not showing?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 05:44:56 pm by Bakaridjan »