Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you cave-in kill combatants in the great magma sea?  (Read 754 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you cave-in kill combatants in the great magma sea?
« on: November 26, 2015, 03:13:43 am »

I've got a fight raging in the sea since half a year or so. Both combatants are using fire based attacks, which are about as effective as you could expect, given the location. I want them gone, both to get rid of the fight reports and to remove future threats.
I'm thinking about engineering a cave-in of the area above them in the hope they'll get crushed, but since cave-ins over the magma sea are rather odd, I'm not sure it will work. I've got a significant dorfpower shortage, so I'd rather not embark on the task only to find the cave-in just disintegrates as it hits the magma without eliminating the trouble makers.

Does anyone know if it will work?

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
Re: Can you cave-in kill combatants in the great magma sea?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:44:12 am »

I'm fairly certain it'll work just be careful in case of a horrific side effect...
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:27:54 pm »

It certainly won't punch a hole in the bottom, since anything falling onto magma covered magma flow is disintegrated, so the only horrible side effect I can see is carelessly leaving a hole for anything in the sea to get up through. However, previous cave-in experiments indicated the cave-in might actually be obliterated before even entering the sea, although I didn't expect anything like that, and thus didn't look at it closely enough.

However, eventually the stronger party's occasional push attacks seem to have killed the weaker one, so I'm not in a dire need for an answer.

Tlukle

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't you think my name is odd?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:28:33 am »

Wait, what kind of "combatants" innumerable different creatures use fire for combat in DF.
Alone on a hill I sat and thought oh what ever today might become not.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 04:05:49 am »

One of the parties was a magma crab (which doesn't technically use fire, but hot magma globs, so my description was imprecise).
The second combatant was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:07 am »

liquids dont affect cave in mechanics.  But if Toady added a cooldown for fire breath/webs I would not cry.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 04:17:00 am »

It's not the liquid I'm concerned about, but the magma flow tiles beneath. If each tile of the cave-in isn't disintegrated before it hits the bottom I'm sure it will eliminate those in its path, but if it is disintegrated as soon as the magma (way) above it is touched I'd expect the would be victims to remain unharmed.
My experiments with cave-ins to try to simplify magma sea mining have left me in doubt.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:42:43 am »

Any criiters struck by it will be damaged and/or knocked out.
Any critter which is otherwise unable to stop its descent will evaporate in semi-molten rock.

So merely crushing them will work.  Hopefull the crab will get knocked out.

Try dumping crap on them other wise.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 07:05:01 am »

I've seen stuff dumped fall to the bottom, so yes, dumping stuff would work if you can hit them, but dumping stuff also implies an open access from the target(s) to the dumper, which is dangerous of the victim(s) can fly. All of this is academic, however, since the stronger party won, returned where it was stomping around, and has recently been crushed by a standard good to Armok regular cave-in onto rock.