Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deadlier Bone Bolts?  (Read 526 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deadlier Bone Bolts?
« on: November 26, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »

I am annoyed at how long it takes for my hunters to kill animals with bone bolts, so I want them to be deadlier. However, I think it would be too easy if I made bone bolts able to rip through metal armor. So the question is: what do properties of bone do I need to change (and how) in order to make them deadlier against animals but not against armored opponents and those not made of flesh and bone? Is increasing the MAX_EDGE value alone pretty much my only option? Is it my best option? So long as they don't let them rip apart metal, I'm open to solutions that would additionally make bones harder to break.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:39:58 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deadlier Bone Bolts?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »

Try making the bone otherwise great at cutting, but keep the density low and make the IMPACT_* resistance values really bad. Hopefully that should make it pretty good at defeating stuff like skin and muscle, but fall victim to the deflection step whenever it tries to make a dent in something rigid.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Deadlier Bone Bolts?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:07:46 am »

There are a few other things that might need to be considered.

1. Bolts have a penetration value of 1000. This might need to be increased to get through more layers of a large wild animal. When you say it takes too long to kill, do you mean the whole process, or the part where the animal is taken down and being shot at but not killed?
2. Armoured enemies don't wear much armour. They have head and torso protection, but nothing else.
3. Everything has the same bone strength, as you mentioned. You could create a new, stronger bone material and use it for selected creatures, leaving the bone material in the standard material template for everything else in the game.
4. Related to #1 above, headshots against an unconscious enemy are not always the most effective option.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.