Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poll: New namespace name  (Read 4179 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poll: New namespace name
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:25:27 pm »

We've set up a poll for the namespace name for the new version here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SG1atLYyK79BqUMVz6pH2R1Pur1XkAAiRFWgeBI_Xz4/viewform
This could be a name for an entirely new namespace or a new name for the current DF2014 namespace. If we do end up creating a new namespace, the old one will probably be named "v0.40", like we've done with past releases.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: New namespace name
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:40:49 pm »

I was expecting that they would be treated as separate versions on the Wiki, but see they have been rolled together?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 04:21:59 pm »

Yeah, that's what we usually do for backwards-compatible versions (although this is probably the biggest compatible version we've dealt with). Most 0.40 information is relevant for 0.42, but there's a significant amount of new material as well, which is what the {{new in v0.42}} template should help with.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 01:43:15 pm »

While it's the most popular poll answer, I do want to say why I don't think it makes much sense to call every newest version "DF20XX"; That made sense in 2010, when there was no major version update for a year on either end, and there were very significant changes between non-bugfix versions.  With multiple smaller feature releases becoming more frequent, then calling the major version that came out in 2015 "DF2016" makes a lot less sense.

That said, I do support the current habit of keeping a namespace, and updating its name until a truly major break comes along, with a "this feature was introduced in version ___" header.  There's a real possibility of discovering things actually introduced in older versions that will likely not be ported to other namespaces by current users.  For an example where this is actually reversed, look at the current and the 40d versions of the Spheres page.  The 40d has a much more useful set of information that gives insight to sphere groupings and is probably still broadly applicable, if somewhat changed.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:42:31 pm »

About the 40d page: I think the v0.31 pages were the first to be migrated in bulk to a new namespace (then DF2012, now v0.34).

There are some wiki software-related tasks to do that haven't seen much progress recently, but once those finish up, we'll probably end up renaming DF2014 to v0.42 (if anything).