Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military formations  (Read 2665 times)

Implementor37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military formations
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:21:15 am »

The dwarven military, while quite fun, could be greatly improved by adding a menu option to create custom military formations which a squad while use when stationed--and an option to hold formation instead of charging the nearest enemy would also be nice. I'm thinking a 15x15 grid where you can place individual squad dwarves to create a formation for that squad. When using a "station" order, dwarves will attempt to hold this formation at the given point, as long as the formation fits in the given space. There should probably also be three movement options--formation holds position, entire formation charges, and individual charges like current df.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Military formations
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:59:40 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 04:21:13 pm »

I just realized that Toady could use the code for performances to make some sort of group attack or military formation....

the dwarves are led by the commander that tells them to assume a certain formation and all of them go to their spots,300 style,and get ready to stab the incoming wave of goblins.
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:50:08 pm »

The dwarven military, while quite fun, could be greatly improved by adding a menu option to create custom military formations which a squad while use when stationed--and an option to hold formation instead of charging the nearest enemy would also be nice. I'm thinking a 15x15 grid where you can place individual squad dwarves to create a formation for that squad. When using a "station" order, dwarves will attempt to hold this formation at the given point, as long as the formation fits in the given space. There should probably also be three movement options--formation holds position, entire formation charges, and individual charges like current df.

I just realized that Toady could use the code for performances to make some sort of group attack or military formation....

the dwarves are led by the commander that tells them to assume a certain formation and all of them go to their spots,300 style,and get ready to stab the incoming wave of goblins.

Those is a very intriguing thoughts, i've always envisioned my dwarves actually being to hold a position (given that restained animals are the best trained ironically enough for keeping stationary attack positions compared to their masters) in a fort entrance or gate with a ballista overhead (built in a bunker surrounded by supporting fortification platforms for archers to pelt down death on my approaching enemies without having the risk of a valuable dwarf charging out into the line of fire to get shot in the place of a advancing troll (perhaps have some for and against traits for composition to discourage reckless recruits *and draft them into ultra agressive suicide missions* that would mix it up)

To contribute something new to the discussion a little, maybe perhaps offer a small bonus to squads (via relevant captains of the squad if around) based off the tactics skill that gives them small buffs as the re-compensation of not being able to dodge out of the way as freely when trapped inside the formation (depends on formation)

And likewise have other races with enough men/beasts/abominable things in a organised siege return the favour with minor armed formations back. (goblin shield bearers advance tanking crossbow shots on the large part *a few goblins are picked off but most are caught on the shields close enough to tear your archers for shreds if you dont get your military in flanking fast enough.)

EDIT - looks like i've been Ninja'd by OmegaDwarf  :P
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:53:49 pm by FantasticDorf »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 10:02:06 pm »

There's... no OmegaDwarf up there.  :o Ghost forumgoers? Partyforumgoers?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 09:18:27 am »