Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 89576 times)

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2015, 06:06:32 pm »

((Sure, I'm down for playing with things))
Quote from:  Vincent to: Gus
We should probably look into some training exercises for our security forces. Physical and Gun training at first, but discipline training over time as well, once we have a staple of troops with high discipline I've heard of a few good ways to test how well they would deal with alien mind-fuckery
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2015, 06:34:01 am »

Hey, people not doing anything active, wanna play with something?

Does it involve murder?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2015, 06:05:57 am »

Does it involve murder?
Probably not. Have you an idea for something worthy of death? I'm sure we can target Leo at something or another.

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2015, 08:50:32 am »

Probably not. Have you an idea for something worthy of death? I'm sure we can target Leo at something or another.

((This is Er. Almost everything involves murder and death. And lives aren't very good regarded.

Even after the change to Arm, the motto continues: "We have reserves" ))
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2015, 10:23:19 am »

((This is Er. Almost everything involves murder and death. And lives aren't very good regarded.

((If only.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »

To the Doc:[/b]Those are the planetoids that travel in straight lines from one jump point to the next, right? What was Origin then? Some Star System full of planetoids? Some kind of machine? You've been studying materials found on these planetoids, right? Do you think that tech is also infected by this new threat? How do you "get better" from death? Would my team be able to do this as well?

Hmm, looks like we have a universe that needs further exploration.

Launch Phase two probe into 0, 9, 0 (the oddly livable enclosed space one). Check how big the enclosed space is, and what kind of material the enclosure seems to be made of. Record everything we can, and have drone robots explore the enclosure, if it is a reasonable size to do so in. Leave them there for long enough to accomplish that if it can be done within a day. Otherwise, record what is there and have the probe return in an hour.

Can we launch multiple probes before recalling one? If, say, we were to launch a drone into pink slime land , have it move 100 meters, then launch a second one, and have them attempt to communicate with each other, would that be viable, or would we have to launch them together?

Edit: Launch phase one Probes into
1, 0, +/-1;
1, +/-1, 0;
0, 1, +/-1;
0, -1, +/-1;
-1, 0, +/-1;
-1, +/-1, 0

"You ask a lot of questions."

The enclosed one appears to be almost cave like in construction, though the caves appear to be of frankly unreasonable sizes. We're talking rooms that are wider than the circumference of the earth. Gravity seems erratic; in the empty "air" of the cave it's only a fraction of what it is on the surface, as though the contours of the cave follow some kind of invisible pattern of higher gravity. Samples of the surface reveal it to be fairly mundane though very densely packed stone of a variety of types.  There's no signs of life, even on a microbial level.

You could try that.

Ugh, you're really loading me up here, buddy.

Null.   Probe returns frozen and badly damaged. It looks as though it went through a blender. Unsettlingly, the frost that has completely covered the thing appears to  take the shape of otherworldly faces as it melts. As per why you, and indeed everyone that looks at it, assumes these...things...are faces, you can't explain.

1,1,0 's probe returns violently, falling from several feet in the air onto the ground, breaking into pieces like rotten wood as it does. It appears to have rusted badly, turning greenish brown and partially dissolving.  The rust like substance spreads from the probe to the ground  the instant it makes contact and begins to expand outward. In the peripherals of the camera feed you can see the testing room's blast doors slam shut before nozzles spray flame into the room. For several long seconds all you can see is fire, and then the camera cuts out. Somewhere, far away, you feel something rumble and the monitors read "Test Room 1 Lost."

A few minutes later another message pops up

"Verified: Eradication of infectious entity.  Test Room 2 Preparing"

Does it involve murder?
It might. Depends on how bad their luck is and how smart they are.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2015, 02:17:05 pm »

((Now just think.  You're going to test room 1 on whatever target universe you choose.

I kinda meant that as in whatever universe recieves the HMRC is as dead as test room 1.))
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:05:44 pm by Devastator »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2015, 03:40:29 pm »

((Now just think.  You're going to test room 1 on whatever target universe you choose.))
((yeah, if I could do so with some reliable way of returning the information that gives. hmm, I suppose sending a probe into universe 1, then another into 2, then sending probe 1 into universe 2 before pulling probe 2 back might work. But I was thinking more of weaponizing it for genocide anyway.))

To the Doctor: I do ask a lot of questions. There are a lot of mysteries here. And secrets. Both seem important to our survival, and mine in particular. Does Steve run on tech taken from origin?

Sorry about overloading you. I don't know how you generate universi. There are 26 universes with numbers adjacent to ours at 0,0,0. I wanted to eventually check all of those as well as the ones in "straight lines" on the axes and "diagonal lines" toward the corners (9,9,9, for example). Should I limit each turn to five or six universes to test? or three?

Actions: Ask to have universe 1,1,0 black-listed and locked so it can't be entered without explicit permission from myself and at least one Heph admin or ARM general.

Send in samples of life and robotics to universe "Caverns." Send two probes with identical sample sets: one that stays in the "air" and one that settles on the "ground." Send a third drone: a simple machine which will settle on the ground at a distance from the other probes and dig a small hole straight down. I'm looking in particular for how strong the gravity field gets near the surface, how compact and hard the stone gets, and if the drill is able to breach to another cavern. Also, how are the caverns connected, since we seem to be able to see more than one? Are there randomly located holes in the ground? Are the caverns uniform in shape, like a bunch of bubbles or something, or are they more shapeless?

Quote from: Dester to: Black Ops Team
Universe 1,1,0 is off-limits without explicit permission from myself and at least one Administrator of this facility.

On the other hand, we have a potential universe to drop a colony in. we are checking how life reacts there now, and if all goes well, we might be sending volunteers soon.

Also, if you are interested, there is what appears to be a very young, very hot universe in our set of initial explorations. It seems unlikely to support life for a very long time yet, but if you want to check it out in more detail, feel free to send in some samples of life before going in yourselves. Dress for the weather: it's HOT. the coordinates are -9, 0, 0.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2015, 10:36:30 pm »

Quote from: Ryan to Team
I call dibs on Pink Goo universe. That's 5,0,0 by the way.

Phases 2 and 3 to Pink Goo-verse please!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »

So. who among you unoccupied friendos would like to risk your life for fun prizes?

Because I've got a thing in a box for you to play with.

Quote from: Ryan to Team
I call dibs on Pink Goo universe. That's 5,0,0 by the way.

Phases 2 and 3 to Pink Goo-verse please!
Phase three involves sending samples of living things. Does this include exposing them to the environment or just keeping them in the ship?

((Now just think.  You're going to test room 1 on whatever target universe you choose.))
((yeah, if I could do so with some reliable way of returning the information that gives. hmm, I suppose sending a probe into universe 1, then another into 2, then sending probe 1 into universe 2 before pulling probe 2 back might work. But I was thinking more of weaponizing it for genocide anyway.))

To the Doctor: I do ask a lot of questions. There are a lot of mysteries here. And secrets. Both seem important to our survival, and mine in particular. Does Steve run on tech taken from origin?

Sorry about overloading you. I don't know how you generate universi. There are 26 universes with numbers adjacent to ours at 0,0,0. I wanted to eventually check all of those as well as the ones in "straight lines" on the axes and "diagonal lines" toward the corners (9,9,9, for example). Should I limit each turn to five or six universes to test? or three?

Actions: Ask to have universe 1,1,0 black-listed and locked so it can't be entered without explicit permission from myself and at least one Heph admin or ARM general.

Send in samples of life and robotics to universe "Caverns." Send two probes with identical sample sets: one that stays in the "air" and one that settles on the "ground." Send a third drone: a simple machine which will settle on the ground at a distance from the other probes and dig a small hole straight down. I'm looking in particular for how strong the gravity field gets near the surface, how compact and hard the stone gets, and if the drill is able to breach to another cavern. Also, how are the caverns connected, since we seem to be able to see more than one? Are there randomly located holes in the ground? Are the caverns uniform in shape, like a bunch of bubbles or something, or are they more shapeless?

Quote from: Dester to: Black Ops Team
Universe 1,1,0 is off-limits without explicit permission from myself and at least one Administrator of this facility.

On the other hand, we have a potential universe to drop a colony in. we are checking how life reacts there now, and if all goes well, we might be sending volunteers soon.

Also, if you are interested, there is what appears to be a very young, very hot universe in our set of initial explorations. It seems unlikely to support life for a very long time yet, but if you want to check it out in more detail, feel free to send in some samples of life before going in yourselves. Dress for the weather: it's HOT. the coordinates are -9, 0, 0.
"No. Not yet, luckily enough. We didn't have time to fit him with the planned amp system."

It's ok, just don't get more than 10 in a go please. If only for time reasons.

Done. I hope someone is keeping track of this stuff on the wiki.

Alright so samples of life and robotics that remain in their ships are fine, apparently uninjured. At least  those of the first two ships. The one that digs a hole straight down loses it's drill after the first half foot. Readings were somewhere in the 85g range just before the drill tore free. Those g's seem to be limited to the hole itself and the probe was otherwise fine.

On the surface the G's are varying between about .7 and 1.8 gs depending on where you stand. And it's like this on all surfaces, so the probe could land on any wall  and just sit there as though on a normal surface.

The caverns, you can see two, are connected via tunnels or tubes, which appear to be extensions of the cave itself, just smaller.  The caverns are smooth walled but amorphous in shape, not round or anything so geometrically simple.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 19, 2015, 01:19:08 pm »

So. who among you unoccupied friendos would like to risk your life for fun prizes?

((What sorts of prizes? What sort of box?))

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2015, 02:27:34 pm »

((I think it is obvious guys that we should drop all plans and immediately send all of us to 1,1,0))
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2015, 02:57:30 pm »

((What sorts of prizes? What sort of box?))
I'm gonna give you an object in a box.

You can keep the thing in the box if you want it. You just have to document info about it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2015, 03:13:04 pm »

Make sure that if any of the BLOPS members are given a mysterious box, they each get a pair of Heavy Robsod "assistants".  These assistants will each be equipped with a PSL, a Raduga, and a chem thrower with multiple canisters of ClF3, sticky goop, and acid.  The Heavy Robosods will remain adjacent to their assigned blops member, and watch them very closely.

Also double check that I'm still on a spaceship some distance away from the lab.  And that this ship has nuclear cannons.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2015, 08:24:31 pm »

Let's send... two rabbits. One inside a drone, one outside - yet somehow still returnable. That iron leash thing I mentioned might work. Monitor stress and vital sign readings starting five minutes before, during, and five minutes after, if only to see how the teleportation affects living creatures.

Then we dissect both to see if the pink goo gets inside the rabbits' cavities.

So! Phase two and three go! At the... Same time! Let's just see what happens. In a seperate testing facility than two. Let's use three for goo-verse.

Is... The goo edible? Let's also feed a rabbit the goo while we do this. Nothing says woohoo like a universe of carbohydrates.

Alternatively, does it burn well? Nothing says woohoo also like a universe of hydrocarbons.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54