Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54

Author Topic: Misson 26: You Monster  (Read 88037 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Misson 26: Alien Bukkake Line
« Reply #330 on: February 09, 2016, 04:44:40 pm »

((As a note, 4,3,5 and 5,3,4 were safe and only universes like 6,8,10 and (multiple of 3),(multiple of 4),(multiple of 5) are blacklisted. Correct?
Also, PW, you really are a great GM. I hope things turn out well for you, mostly for your sake. I will admit a modicum of selfishness, but your health is absolutely more important!))

"This testing is going... Better than I expected," he mentions off-handedly to Dester as he boards the shuttle to the warship, All of our team is still alive, and I've only had to set my own broken nose."
Relocate off-planet to a warship.

Leave fingers as finger-blades in all cases where having knives for fingers is not dangerous.(Like, say, shaking someone's hand or eating beef jerky. For example.) Use my finger-bones for this material, as the knife tang will essentially be the support structure.

And as for testing room upgrades, I would say have the immediate observation deck be purge-able as well. Can't have any psychic contamination getting through, after all. And have the video feed be only-video. And the video observation room should be purge-able and can only be inferred to by sound. Then an audio-feed room, also purge-able and visible through two layers of clear soundproof materials with a vacuum insulation between.
That should help isolate most cases.

Ask Steve:

"...Steve, what's the verdict on Xenos here? I, personally am ambivalent toward them and might even welcome a friendly species. I know the UWM nuked or strong-armed everything that wasn't human. What's ARM's SOP?"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:20:36 pm by Gentlefish »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 09, 2016, 04:57:09 pm »

((Null universes and standard universes, right?))
"Oh, my apologies then. The dataset I was given mentioned that probes lost contact after traveling a distance within standard universes, not that they are also destroyed rapidly."
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:52 pm »

((beats me. we can unblacklist any already tested universes I guess. But if it isn't the whole right angle thing, then blacklisting right angle universes is pointless in general. I don't know why one sequence of numbers would be different in that context. They all would have the same geometries.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:41 pm »

((I'm pretty sure that having a universe's numbers form a right triangle is completely irrelevant.  On the other hand, I'm almost certain that the numbers don't have any real pattern to them, so a good universe equally likely to be found whatever the numbers we input.  In other words, there's very little reason to blacklist right triangle universes, but there's much less reason not to do so, because we have infinite universes to explore.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2016, 10:01:27 pm »

((Does non-Origin magic work in other universes?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2016, 10:19:00 pm »

(( I think Syv is right. Better safe than Lurked upon, though. Also, I don't know about our on Origin magic in other universes, Empiricist. maybe some does, maybe some doesn't, maybe some summons eldritch nightmares to consume the caster, amybe some spawns bubbles and fart noises. Could be a universe specific set of changes, much like the other laws of reality.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2016, 10:22:09 pm »

"Then what if we were to set up our primary observation facility in a universe that, while hospitable, we are willing to lose? It is possible to use white mask technology to create robotic personnel who are fully robotic, down to what holds their very consciousness, thereby negating the effects of biological hazards, even those with a penchant for getting into sealed off locations. If it still works in the spider-filled universe, we could set up an observation facility there, though we'd likely need to use modified MMIs for all the controls lest the denizens tamper with them."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:50 pm »

((I think it is a mix between the numbers having some sort of categorical meaning, combined with a few dice rolls, that and there may be a few special handcrafted{written?} out of the sets

An example could be something like right angle universes produce interesting geometry, and we rolled a double{possibly even single} 1 during universe gen, summoning the lurker {I wonder if fate plays a roll in universe gen?} ))
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:33:59 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2016, 11:10:36 pm »

"I believe the goo-niverse may be an even better choice for such an observatory to be staged." Ryan pauses a moment to admire his fingers, before continuing, "As far as I could tell, there was nothing living there."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 10, 2016, 08:10:03 am »

Those are certainly possibilities. I hesitate to loose some kind of monster onto a universe which contains life, especially sapient life. Ryan's suggestion is perhaps better than the spiderverse, but for different reasons - I hesitate to loose those spiders on more of our equipment. They seem intelligent and dangerous. Or maybe just dangerous. Look through our cataloged universes and see if you can locate a suitable one - something our machinery can travel into without being damaged, erased, eaten, or made into a psychic virus, but that also does not contain life. Ryan, feel free to explore the goo universe a bit more thoroughly before giving a final verdict on whether it is suitable for that or not. We can't really expl,ore enough of any universe to know that it is lifeless, but we can at least make a reasonable effort.

I am still interested in exploring that universe where some rusted machinery attached itself to the probe. I am disappointed that those tests were cut short during this last event. Those machines were not overtly hostile, or did not appear to be to me. Perhaps that universe holds some potential.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2016, 02:22:18 pm »

"Yes, of course. The physics in that-verse are quite... Interesting. I'm curious to explore the larger bodies there, but our goal is, indeed, to find a livable universe for ourselves, and soon. And considering the size of a universe, I don't doubt there will be simple life in any universe we enter, so long it has formed."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2016, 11:23:05 pm »

Relocate to a warship.

Ask Steve:

"Do we have a list of known Silent Worlds? Because it seems that we should see if we can establish some sort of contact with them and evacuate them if possible."
Spoiler: If there is (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Misson 26: Metaphorically jizzing all over the multiverse
« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2016, 11:16:28 am »

See if there are any "geographists" on Heph interested in analyzing the sapphire. Also look into getting it cut and polished, if possible.

Have universe 3,4,5 blacklisted, and do the above. Then see about relocating to an off-planet warship.
The sapphire is not actually a sapphire, according to them. It's made with several compounds they're unfamiliar with, most of which seem artificial in their structure.

((that kind of guy. Good guy GM. Sorry things have been rough for you these last few days. I kinda thought we were a) on hold because of the potential to ruin literally all the other missions going if we mucked this one up, or b) on hold while all the other missions got up and running, because that seemed like a lot of work.))

I suggest that we separate out the testing rooms by stage.
First probe rooms all go someplace very disposable.
biological testing rooms go in another location, at a significant distance from the first.
Rooms for universi deemed relatively safe can be done a bit closer to home, since they will require more resources and direct contact and all that.

i can't think of a way to improve the room design otherwise, except if we can devise a program that can recognize the black rods and prevent video feed from going out of those rooms where a rod is detected.

Oh, and 3, 4, 5 is now blacklisted a step higher than regular blacklisting. I suggest that it require Steve's explicit permission to attempt that one again. Additionally, all universi where the numbers make a right triangle are blacklisted at the regular level of blacklisting.

While we are rebuilding the test rooms, I'd like to send a couple exploration teams into Caverns Universe to map out more caves. Give them provisions for a couple weeks, some communication buoys, and let them check out caverns for a week, reporting back every 24 hours. No need to send things through the null universe or contain them in a test room, I think, but if anyone objects, I can wait until more safeguards are in place.

-sigh- relocate to a warship.

"Saint does raise a good point, we don't need to oversee this directly, especially not with having seen the risks first hand. I am unsure of the exact mechanisms involved, but I have the suspicion that some of the effects involved in this more recent intrusion are related to our connection to the Origin. It may be prudent to set up primary observation chambers inside of null universes so that such anomalies cannot exploit our connection to Origin, as well as limiting the amount of harm they can do. It may also be better to set a protocol that must be performed every so often lest the entire chamber be destroyed. We were fortunate that this time in that they still responded to the detonation signals, fortune may not be as merciful next time."
Relocate to a warship.
How do you suggest we set up an observation post in a null universe? Those universes destroy probes within minutes. I do agree that something needs done to prevent a similar outbreak. I understand that there was some connection between the black rods the testers mentioned, and this Lurker we have ben hearing so much about? Perhaps we can create a program to check for said rods and self destruct any probe that comes into contact with one?

Quote from:  Administrator Steve Saint  to: Mission 26 team
"That seems to have solved our latest apocalypse.  We're lucky it was so simple to deal with.

If it's not too much trouble, I recommend that everyone use the time granted by the destruction of all the testing rooms to consider their personal safety protocols.  For instance, please ask yourselves why you remain on the planet; we do have perfectly servicable warships spread across the system."
Quote from: Dester to Steve Saint cc: Blops Team
This latest disaster is driving home the idea that this project is extremely risky for eachi of us. I had already accepted that, but am still relatively new to the position of overseer. I suppose I just cringe a little at leading from safety while sending men and women to die - as some did today- in my place. I request we all observe a minute of silence to note their passing, and I will accede to your request and relocate to a warship.
That seems reasonable, though sy's argument about putting them in deep space is also fairly reasonable.

We'll put a physical block on the configuration for 3,4,5.

Reporting back as in sending something back? Since you can't communicate between universes.  We can do that exploration. Should we assume they're just looking around in general or are they searching for something?

((As a note, 4,3,5 and 5,3,4 were safe and only universes like 6,8,10 and (multiple of 3),(multiple of 4),(multiple of 5) are blacklisted. Correct?
Also, PW, you really are a great GM. I hope things turn out well for you, mostly for your sake. I will admit a modicum of selfishness, but your health is absolutely more important!))

"This testing is going... Better than I expected," he mentions off-handedly to Dester as he boards the shuttle to the warship, All of our team is still alive, and I've only had to set my own broken nose."
Relocate off-planet to a warship.

Leave fingers as finger-blades in all cases where having knives for fingers is not dangerous.(Like, say, shaking someone's hand or eating beef jerky. For example.) Use my finger-bones for this material, as the knife tang will essentially be the support structure.

And as for testing room upgrades, I would say have the immediate observation deck be purge-able as well. Can't have any psychic contamination getting through, after all. And have the video feed be only-video. And the video observation room should be purge-able and can only be inferred to by sound. Then an audio-feed room, also purge-able and visible through two layers of clear soundproof materials with a vacuum insulation between.
That should help isolate most cases.

Ask Steve:

"...Steve, what's the verdict on Xenos here? I, personally am ambivalent toward them and might even welcome a friendly species. I know the UWM nuked or strong-armed everything that wasn't human. What's ARM's SOP?"

>If they're friendly, I'm fine with them.

I admit I have no idea what you're talking about with finger blades here.

Relocate to a warship.

Ask Steve:

"Do we have a list of known Silent Worlds? Because it seems that we should see if we can establish some sort of contact with them and evacuate them if possible."
Spoiler: If there is (click to show/hide)

>We know of a few, but we should worry about worlds that respond before worlds that don't.

Ok so everyone has gone off planet, thats a thing. Are we gonna do the deep space sy rooms or go for on planet, beefed up rooms?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 11, 2016, 08:35:57 pm »

Let's put all the first contact rooms in space, with all the explosive precautions syv suggested, and the others on planet, beefed up.

The explorers of Cavernverse will report in the same way I and Gus did: we will send a probe through at regular intervals to collect their transmissions.
They are to note interesting features of the Caverns, like the gem deposits Gus and I found, or places where gravity spikes in ways unusual for what we've seen so far, or if they find a way outside of the Gravity Fields (like if the caverns were a gravity Geode or something), or signs of artificial construction, or life.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 11, 2016, 09:44:16 pm »

Basically replace my fingertips with sturdy biometallic scalpels for fun and profit.

ALSO, if we have rooms set up, I'd like to try: 2,4,6 and 4,6,8
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54